Why Pelini will NOT be fired

I don't think Eichorst will fire Bo until after the bowl game. Losing to Iowa and losing whatever crappy bowl we go to would just further cement him being fired.

Firings aren't made after bowl games. Our best hope is that we play in The Interim Coaches Bowl.

If we're in the Interim Coaches Bowl, would we be playing Michigan or Florida? Or would it be some other program at has had a change in head coach but has actually become bowl eligible?

Let's be trail blazers and have a 3 team contest. Nebraska v. Michigan v. Florida. Guarantee a sellout with through the roof TV ratings. I see a problem though. We would need a 3 sided coin. Architects get working on that please. :hmmph

I am curious how many posters on this site hold season tickets?

Ah, yet another manifestation of the "you are not real fans" argument. Was wondering when this innuendo would reappear.

No, I am not a season ticket holder. I also do not live in Nebraska and so rarely get the opportunity to attend a game. I did, however, attend UNL for both undergrad and grad school and did have student tickets in those years. I have invested greatly in the University and I don't like seeing my alma mater's proud tradition made into a laughingstock. What is happening at Nebraska is utterly unacceptable for everything that's invested in this program, and any fan should be able to see this.

Bingo. I would say that there are a large majority of posters that are out of state, hence the reason for posting/discussing so often in a message board. HB is an easy way to communicate with like-minded individuals who are as passionate about the team. Its not like I can walk into my office on Monday and discuss Nebraska football with whomever. Now, just because someone lives in Dallas, Chicago, LA, etc. doesnt make them any less of a fan than someone that drives in every Saturday morning from York or Omaha. I still attend at least one game a year in Lincoln, because it is a special place, and if I could realistically get up there every weekend, I'd have tickets in a heartbeat. However, with the performace as of late it becomes increasingly more difficult to spend a couple grand on a trip - only to have the team put forth the effort they do.

I am curious how many posters on this site hold season tickets?

Ah, yet another manifestation of the "you are not real fans" argument. Was wondering when this innuendo would reappear.

No, I am not a season ticket holder. I also do not live in Nebraska and so rarely get the opportunity to attend a game. I did, however, attend UNL for both undergrad and grad school and did have student tickets in those years. I have invested greatly in the University and I don't like seeing my alma mater's proud tradition made into a laughingstock. What is happening at Nebraska is utterly unacceptable for everything that's invested in this program, and any fan should be able to see this.

Bingo. I would say that there are a large majority of posters that are out of state, hence the reason for posting/discussing so often in a message board. HB is an easy way to communicate with like-minded individuals who are as passionate about the team. Its not like I can walk into my office on Monday and discuss Nebraska football with whomever. Now, just because someone lives in Dallas, Chicago, LA, etc. doesnt make them any less of a fan than someone that drives in every Saturday morning from York or Omaha. I still attend at least one game a year in Lincoln, because it is a special place, and if I could realistically get up there every weekend, I'd have tickets in a heartbeat. However, with the performace as of late it becomes increasingly more difficult to spend a couple grand on a trip - only to have the team put forth the effort they do.

Yep. I live in Peoria, and agree with everything you wrote.

What do you expect the AD to say at the beginning of a season?

Last year was a tough season, and the response was to present a unified front. The AD made it clear that Nebraska was throwing more resources than ever before behind the program and that the current staff had all the support it needed. The current staff acknowledged this, there were many cat moments, and all in all the red carpet was laid out. All Bo had to do was go out and turn in a good year, a step forward, and a lot of wins.

If that doesn't happen and this season again ends with a whimper, I can't see the AD doing that again. Last year was a not-so-subtle "one last chance." If Bo doesn't take a step forward, it'd be an endorsement of the status quo.

The tricky gray area will be hit if Nebraska wins an uninspired, sloppy finale against Iowa. I can't see Bo being canned without the opportunity to break through #4losses. That just doesn't set up the next coach very well, in my opinion. Knowing our luck, that's exactly what's going to happen.

I agree with this.

Last year, much was made of Eichorst's silence as being detrimental to the program. A lot of people (I won't call them "Bo-lievers") even intimated that Bo's outbursts during the Iowa game were a result of pent up pressure from Eichorst's silence. The lack of new commits during the season was also blamed on a perceived lack of support from Eichorst.

It seems logical that Eichorst would eliminate a potential excuse by coming out in support of Bo at the beginning of the season. That way, Bo can't blame Eichorst for his outbursts or recruiting woes. If you believe that, it seems to fit with some of the rumors we've heard that Bo was given a short leash and told what he had to do to keep his job.

Let's not forgot: Eichorst was hired by Harvey Perlman and Harvey Perlman does not like Bo. At the end of the day, I'm not convinced Eichorst really likes Bo all that much. If I had to guess, I'd say he's looking for a way to fire Bo without complicating Nebraska's ability to find a replacement. I must admit, it's hard to explain why Eichorst did not pull the trigger last year when it would have been easy to justify the firing for Bo's conduct as much as on-field performance. Maybe he was concerned he wouldn't have the support of a majority of the fan base? Not sure. But I do think the local and national outcry is at a point now that Eichorst really can't afford to stick with Bo without alienating a large number of fans and creating a sense of apathy about the program. This is not to mention my sense that there is growing discontent with Bo even among some of the staff and the players. I suspect they have or will be interviewed by Eichorst and that this will be a signifiant factor in his decision making. In that regard, I hope he takes what Kenny Bell has to say with a healthy grain of salt.

Tressel, let's get him.

This is never going to happen. He's still on probation. Also, he's a president of a university. No way is he going to give up that job to take a chance with us. He's already won a national championship. He's proved it all. Also, when has a coach ever come out of retirement (at any level) and done anything of note? And I'm not talking about a coach who took a year off and came back. I'm talking about a coach who took several years off, then came back. I can't think of one. While I would certainly like to see Tressel, it's not going to happen. While we are talking of dream candidates, I'd like to get Tony Dungy or Bill Cowher.

• Fire 1

If Bo were to stay,big if IMO, and no assistants are let go this place and NU football will become a dumpster fire. The only way to keep Bo and save the fan base and change the trajectory of the program (Hopefully) is to let some people go. Unsure if its as simple as SE saying the following guys are gone (can he fire them) or doe sBo have to fire them.....

For the record, I am for a wholesale scraping of the current staff except for a few folks. Bo, Paps and Beck not amongst those.

I don't think Eichorst will fire Bo until after the bowl game. Losing to Iowa and losing whatever crappy bowl we go to would just further cement him being fired.

Firings aren't made after bowl games. Our best hope is that we play in The Interim Coaches Bowl.
If we're in the Interim Coaches Bowl, would we be playing Michigan or Florida? Or would it be some other program at has had a change in head coach but has actually become bowl eligible?

Let's be trail blazers and have a 3 team contest. Nebraska v. Michigan v. Florida. Guarantee a sellout with through the roof TV ratings. I see a problem though. We would need a 3 sided coin. Architects get working on that please. :hmmph

well, you could go with a 6 sided dice and each team gets to choose 2 numbers... or we could play rock-paper-scissors... or better yet, the referee can play Eeny-meeny-miney-mo!

Tressel, let's get him.

This is never going to happen. He's still on probation. Also, he's a president of a university. No way is he going to give up that job to take a chance with us. He's already won a national championship. He's proved it all. Also, when has a coach ever come out of retirement (at any level) and done anything of note? And I'm not talking about a coach who took a year off and came back. I'm talking about a coach who took several years off, then came back. I can't think of one. While I would certainly like to see Tressel, it's not going to happen. While we are talking of dream candidates, I'd like to get Tony Dungy or Bill Cowher.

Uh, ever heard of Bill Snyder?

maybe a phased approach starting with replacing asst coaches and/or coordinators first, with Bo being last if he can't get it righted in the next few years...there is a lot of money at stake...what...$8-9M maybe?

1 thing for sure, things have to change.

$8-9 million is pennies in comparison to the long term cost to the program if we continue down this path.

Tressel, let's get him.

Uh, ever heard of Bill Snyder?

First thing that came to my mind as well. As for Tressel, I would love for him to come here and HuskerInSanDiego has apparently not read the "Just-Cause" information posted many many times on the board. We could show just cause and probably get him off, again as has been stated, Penn St got off for a hell of alot worse an issue. We wont know unless we try, plain and simple, make an offer.