Armstrong catches Kenny's Twitter disease.

NUpolo8

This looks fine to me. Comments like these and in contrast to comments from Kenny Bell show the mindset of team leadership. I know Armstrong catches a lot of flack for his mistakes but I'd rather see Kenny Bell have a seat because of his attitude. (of course this is only based off his comments and behaviors, I don't know the kid personally...he may be a better leader on the field)

I don't know, I guess I don't see anything wrong with his comments compared to Kenny.

The ones who dont like what he is saying are the ones who havent ever played the sport or a sport for that matter. Would rather just sit behind a computer screen and cry that the kids are not winning for them.

That's a large assumption

Let me rephrase it then...

It's the people who have regrets about their own time as a young adult who either didn't play many sports or were not very successful at them who are getting the most worked up about these comments and the state of the team. I would go so far as to say that any sports those people have played were under authoritarian "winning is everything" style of coaches, who often berated his players for mistakes both in game and in practice, and often used quid-pro-quo and intimidation tactics to get his players to do what he wanted.

In other words, a bully coach.

These coaches rarely build teams with the mental toughness to win close games. If the only real reason you're playing hard is so your coach doesn't yell at you, you're not playing the best football you could play.

Pete Carroll. Bill Walsh. Bob Ladouceur. Vince Lombardi. Jimmy Johnson.

These 5 coaches teach their players teamwork and team bonding (yes, emotional bonding) go hand in hand with football skill to form a great team. A team greater than the sum of its parts. A team that plays for each other, for the fun and competition. A team that plays with only two expectations: compete as hard as you can, and work together.

If this style of coaching is too pansy or weak for you, maybe you should go become fans of Army or something.

I don't know, I guess I don't see anything wrong with his comments compared to Kenny.

The ones who dont like what he is saying are the ones who havent ever played the sport or a sport for that matter. Would rather just sit behind a computer screen and cry that the kids are not winning for them.

That's a large assumption

Let me rephrase it then...

It's the people who have regrets about their own time as a young adult who either didn't play many sports or were not very successful at them who are getting the most worked up about these comments and the state of the team. I would go so far as to say that any sports those people have played were under authoritarian "winning is everything" style of coaches, who often berated his players for mistakes both in game and in practice, and often used quid-pro-quo and intimidation tactics to get his players to do what he wanted.

These coaches rarely build teams with the mental toughness to win close games. If the only real reason you're playing hard is so your coach doesn't yell at you, you're not playing the best football you could play.

Pete Carroll. Bill Walsh. Bob Ladouceur. Vince Lombardi. Jimmy Johnson.

These 5 coaches teach their players teamwork and team bonding (yes, emotional bonding) go hand in hand with football skill to form a great team. A team greater than the sum of its parts. A team that plays for each other, for the fun and competition. A team that plays with only two expectations: compete as hard as you can, and work together.

If this style of coaching is too pansy or weak for you, maybe you should go become fans of Army or something.

that's an even bigger assumption than before :ahhhhhhhh

I would go so far as to say that any sports those people have played were under authoritarian "winning is everything" style of coaches, who often berated his players for mistakes both in game and in practice, and often used quid-pro-quo and intimidation tactics to get his players to do what he wanted.

These coaches rarely build teams with the mental toughness to win close games.

Are you sure you're in the right place? This is a Nebraska board - you know that team coached by Bo Pelini? This guy....

c0e1c30c063ead31ee9ef66e5ea00718_view.jp

stafford_crop_exact.jpeg?w=400&h=250&q=8

This is so f'ing lame.

What are we doing now Polo, you feel like the coaches may finally be on their way out so now you're starting your quest on the players? Tommy said nothing more than he and the team just want to focus on having some fun the rest of the season. Forgive them that. I mean, it is football.......

For the record, I hope you don't drag on and on with posts and topics about players from here on out if Bo is gone. While some of the dorks here paint you as some sort of all knowing hero for "being right" about Bo, most of us never really disagreed with many of your points, it's just that we didn't feel like it was all we needed to do was drag on and on about it. Much like this topic, the majority of your past hater has been dedicated to nothing but negativity. Again, I hope your focus doesn't turn toward the players now, God knows you'd never shut up about it.

• Fire 1

This is likely one one of the worst weeks to be a student athlete playing football for Nebraska, so I feel for them.

Your season goals are nearly all shot, there's a firm wedge jammed between you and the fan base, that your coach and some of your teammates helped drive in, and speaking of your coach, he's doubling down on his hubris and tossing your execution and "want to" under the bus to protect his seven figure salary.

Oh and this is all happening during a holiday week where you can't go home, have less rest before your game, and by the way you gotta go to shitbox Iowa City.

There's potential for a very big wreck here

I've stopped hoping for wins and losses this season, I'm just hoping that the players who want. Nebraska to be a part of their post athletic careers can, and aren't given the Corey McKeon treatment.

You post this^ then create a topic wondering where their heads at and why they might be just trying to have a little fun out there.

Baffling.

• Fire 2

I would go so far as to say that any sports those people have played were under authoritarian "winning is everything" style of coaches, who often berated his players for mistakes both in game and in practice, and often used quid-pro-quo and intimidation tactics to get his players to do what he wanted.

These coaches rarely build teams with the mental toughness to win close games.

Are you sure you're in the right place? This is a Nebraska board - you know that team coached by Bo Pelini? This guy....

c0e1c30c063ead31ee9ef66e5ea00718_view.jp

stafford_crop_exact.jpeg?w=400&h=250&q=8

My point exactly. Bo might know football, he might have a great defensive scheme, but he does not know how to build a team or how to inspire his players to play at their peak.

My point exactly. Bo might know football, he might have a great defensive scheme, but he does not know how to build a team or how to inspire his players to play at their peak.

This is basically how my feelings have developed over the last several years. And, really, it goes back to 2011 and even 2010. The build-up and angst surrounding hosting Texas at home in 2010, and then to come out and lay an egg like that is completely baffling. They recovered later in the season and showed mental toughness against Iowa State on the road, but then failed to score points in the Big 12 title game and got somewhat embarrassed against Washington in the bowl game.

2011 was the real starting point of a trend though for the team. Promise early in the season, a big flop at some point in the middle of the season and then a struggle to regain/mental toughness through the rest of the season.

I still firmly believe that the issues we saw in 2011-2012 were in large part due to the conference change and lack of talent. Which is why I'm done with it. Sure last year there were a ton of injuries and inexperience on D, but still, the way we lost last year was just an over lack of basic football in my opinion. This year there is no excuses and the same problems exist. Heck, I guess I could even contradict myelf and say that maybe lack of talent never was the problem.

Call me crazy but I actually like what TA had to say.

"Whatever happens, happens. But they're our coaches now so we have to support them."

This suggests to me that TA could go either way with this coaching staff, but will respect them as long as they remain the coaches. What more could you ask for than a player who is not brainwashed into thinking Pelini is Jesus himself yet respects authority even when he has misgivings about them?

TA's comments were a cool drink of water compared to Kenny "I heart Bo" Bell's mouth full of chalk dust.

• Fire 1

Armstrong: "They're our coaches. If things happen, things happen. As far as for now, they're our coaches & we have their back 100%" #Huskers

Interesting phrasing. Sounds like the players may know something.

If you're referring to Bo being let go, they wouldn't tell the players before they tell the coach.