****** What Did We Learn - Hawkeye Edition ******

walksalone

The same people that complain about Bo would have been screaming for Osborne's head in the 80s and early 90s. Do we need some changes? Sure. Let's get a new OC (one willing to bench TA). But we don't need a new HC.

That's BS! Pelini has a huge image problem. What coordinator in their right mind wants to come work for that asshat? Second, what kid that is being recruited by Pelini and other wants to play for a guy that acts like he does? Yes, we need a new OC. We also need to quit giving up 50+ in big games. This isn't a small sample of work we can look at. We have 7 years of winning games we should and losing virtually all the games that are close or we are underdog. Keep Pelini and accept 9-4 with a long-term spiral downward.

SUPERBUNNY

What coordinator wants to play for a coach that sticks by them the way Bo does (to the point it angers the fan base)?

What player wants to go to a school where the coach honors your scholarship even though you might never play again?

Bo only has an image problem with some husker fans. His players love him. Recruits love him.

Jesus... He got a kid from the SEC country to come to Nebraska and be one of the best RBs in school history.

You are living in a fantasy world.

And spiral downward? The worst we have ever finished is 4 losses. You have no evidence we will get worse.

And you sir, are wearing the Red colored glasses. I respectfully disagree with most of your post.

I do agree that you have to honor schollies. I know there are places that don't but that isn't cool. Yes, he got Abdullah to come to Lincoln. But overall the talent to be a contender isn't there. If it is there then the staff isn't developing it. Either way, that falls on the staff.

Of course he is loyal to his staff. Most every coach is. I don't think Bo is any danger of having his staff raided. Thus, we keep getting same thing.

If we keep Bo but demand staff changes what coaches will want to come here knowing how he operates(tirades, no class, spitting). Hey, I don't mind intensity. That's fine. Being out of control and acting like an immature idiot is another thing.

IMHO, to turn things around we need to hire a man of character, someone that builds a staff with character, and start rebuilding Nebraska Football with the same morals that made it great to begin with. I've never complained about Pelini's record. It's the way we lose, the blowouts, and the way he acts. It's just not what Nebraska fans deserve.

SUPERBUNNY

Change coodonators. We can probably get a good OC to come here. Defense hasn't been a huge issue, yes we've had bad games but that was mostly due to the offense turning the ball over and going 3 and out.

Firing Bo will not magically fix our problems. Most of the complaints people have can be fixed by new coordinators.

But if you want a man of character? That's Bo. He's proven it over and over. He might have a hot head, but you can't say the players and staff don't love him.

He hasn't acted like an immature idiot in quite awhile (TAMU, and the hat swipe from last year at Iowa).

Blowout losses suck. But they can be fixed. We just need time. And maybe new coordinators.

Wisconsin scores 70 points on us. Wisky has a single player gain an all time record 408 yards, and he did it in 3 quarters. UCLA beats Bo's D like a redheaded stepchild. An argument could be made that Cos did better than Bo after Suh left.

its not even an argument. Its actually a statistical fact

I think we learned that Nebraska is still good at beating teams ranked below #30, and for some fans, it still won't matter that we can't win championships as long as Bo can get to 9 wins.

The same people that complain about Bo would have been screaming for Osborne's head in the 80s and early 90s. Do we need some changes? Sure. Let's get a new OC (one willing to bench TA). But we don't need a new HC.

There is no comparison between Bo's results and TO's results. TO routinely finished in the top 10, and finished out of the top 20 either once or never. TO also routinely beat top 20 teams, and faced top 5 teams every season. Bo has a losing record against top 20 teams.

Exactly. These Bo-lievers seem to think that TO didn't finish first or win any conference titles in his first 7 years...simply not true. They are trying to re-write the history books.

In his first 7 years TO tied for first in the Big 8 once. And won outright in his 9th year. I'm not trying to rewrite history. I'm trying to put things into context.

Many fans wanted to fire TO. We now think they were crazy. Now many fans want to fire Bo. I think they are crazy.

I think we learned that Nebraska is still good at beating teams ranked below #30, and for some fans, it still won't matter that we can't win championships as long as Bo can get to 9 wins.

There is no comparison between Bo's results and TO's results. TO routinely finished in the top 10, and finished out of the top 20 either once or never. TO also routinely beat top 20 teams, and faced top 5 teams every season. Bo has a losing record against top 20 teams.

Exactly. These Bo-lievers seem to think that TO didn't finish first or win any conference titles in his first 7 years...simply not true. They are trying to re-write the history books.

In his first 7 years TO tied for first in the Big 8 once. And won outright in his 9th year. I'm not trying to rewrite history. I'm trying to put things into context.

Many fans wanted to fire TO. We now think they were crazy. Now many fans want to fire Bo. I think they are crazy.

i think comparing the two in anyway is crazy.

• Fire 2

He tied twice, not once. Two conference championships is A LOT more than zero.

He also finished in the top 10 all 7 years. Seven top-ten finishes is A LOT more than zero.

He also beat ranked teams. More of them than he lost to.

He also went to major bowls.

He also had a winning bowl record.

We might think those fans were unrealistic, but guess what. HE DIDN'T GET FIRED AND THE REASON WAS BECAUSE OF THIS LIST OF ACCOMPLISHMENTS.

Guess how many of those accomplishments Bo has?

He doesn't have any of them.

Quit comparing the two you are embarrassing yourself.

• Fire 3

He also finished in the top 10 all 7 years. Seven top-ten finishes is A LOT more than zero.

We might think those fans were unrealistic, but guess what. HE DIDN'T GET FIRED AND THE REASON WAS BECAUSE OF THIS LIST OF ACCOMPLISHMENTS.

Sorry that I forgot it was twice. But I only wanted to compare the situation, wanting to fire a coach, not the coaches themselves. In that you cannot deny even with his success fans wanted TO fired. It is a fact.

Husker fans are fickle. Maybe we shouldn't always give them what they want. It would have prevented the greatest 5 years in husker history.

Sorry that I forgot it was twice. But I only wanted to compare the situation, wanting to fire a coach, not the coaches themselves. In that you cannot deny even with his success fans wanted TO fired. It is a fact.

Husker fans are fickle. Maybe we shouldn't always give them what they want. It would have prevented the greatest 5 years in husker history.

all we want to do is compete in the B1G west, but if you keep bo they will surely not get what they want.

The reality that we are fickle has nothing to do with the merit of whether or not Bo is a good head coach. I wasn't around then, but I'd guess that the majority didn't want Osborne gone - at this point, i think the majority wants Pelini gone.

You couldn't be making less of an argument. We shouldn't always be given what we want, but we also shouldn't always be ignored. We wanted Bill Callahan fired with just reason, and so he was and so he should have been. Tom Osborne's very own words as to why Bill Callahan was fired now apply to Bo Pelini, so if we're being consistent then there is just reason to want him fired as well.

Regardless, I don't want him fired because of the reason of fans wanting him fired. I want him fired because I've looked at the numbers, and have arrived at two conclusions:

1. Winning 70% of your games as the head coach at a major power five school isn't very hard to do

2. 3 out of 49 coaches to do it haven't been able to win a conference championship. The other two were fired.

The reality that we are fickle has nothing to do with the merit of whether or not Bo is a good head coach. I wasn't around then, but I'd guess that the majority didn't want Osborne gone - at this point, i think the majority wants Pelini gone.

You couldn't be making less of an argument. We shouldn't always be given what we want, but we also shouldn't always be ignored. We wanted Bill Callahan fired with just reason, and so he was and so he should have been. Tom Osborne's very own words as to why Bill Callahan was fired now apply to Bo Pelini, so if we're being consistent then there is just reason to want him fired as well.

Regardless, I don't want him fired because of the reason of fans wanting him fired. I want him fired because I've looked at the numbers, and have arrived at two conclusions:

1. Winning 70% of your games as the head coach at a major power five school isn't very hard to do

2. 3 out of 49 coaches to do it haven't been able to win a conference championship. The other two were fired.

1. Then more coaches would win 70%. But they don't. But we've tread this ground already.

2. What happened to the schools that fired those 2 coaches?

all we want to do is compete in the B1G west, but if you keep bo they will surely not get what they want.
2 dropped passes from 11-1. Also we've played in 3 CCGs since Bo was hired. If you want to compete in the B1G west Bo is your coach.

1. Then more coaches would win 70%. But they don't. But we've tread this ground already.

2. What happened to the schools that fired those 2 coaches?

1. What??? Most coaches DO win that much - over 65% of them. What you just said makes no logical sense it's not even a real sentence. If a good majority of people in a group can accomplish something, then that accomplishment isn't much of one.

2. Tennessee went on a 30 year run of success winning at a similar percentage but including conference championships, and a national championship. Georgia hired Mark Richt, who has 2 conference titles, 7 title game appearances, and a lot of really impressive bowl showings.

2 dropped passes from 11-1. Also we've played in 3 CCGs since Bo was hired. If you want to compete in the B1G west Bo is your coach.

bo has been in the big 10 longer than the big 12 now and has only gone to the ccg once in the big 10. and that, against a 7-5 team, did not go so well.

and as far as the 2 dropped pass argument? just no.

1. Then more coaches would win 70%. But they don't. But we've tread this ground already.2. What happened to the schools that fired those 2 coaches?

1. What??? Most coaches DO win that much - over 65% of them. What you just said makes no logical sense it's not even a real sentence. If a good majority of people in a group can accomplish something, then that accomplishment isn't much of one.

2. Tennessee went on a 30 year run of success winning at a similar percentage but including conference championships, and a national championship. Georgia hired Mark Richt, who has 2 conference titles, 7 title game appearances, and a lot of really impressive bowl showings.

1. You must be drunk. Bo has the 23rd best win percentage of active coaches. Only 24 have 70% winning percentage. http://www.coacheshotseat.com/WinningestActiveCoachesIA.htm

I'm not the best at math but 25/120 is less that .65 right?

2. The same Georgia that lost to us last year?

bo has been in the big 10 longer than the big 12 now and has only gone to the ccg once in the big 10. and that, against a 7-5 team, did not go so well.

and as far as the 2 dropped pass argument? just no.

You're right. We should forget we would have won against a team that played for the MNC if they didn't add on a second because it favors your argument.

1. Then more coaches would win 70%. But they don't. But we've tread this ground already.2. What happened to the schools that fired those 2 coaches?

1. You must be drunk. Bo has the 23rd best win percentage of active coaches. Only 24 have 70% winning percentage. http://www.coacheshotseat.com/WinningestActiveCoachesIA.htm

I'm not the best at math but 25/120 is less that .65 right?

2. The same Georgia that lost to us last year?

yeah, that georgia, the one that embarrassed us the year before. a game after they were a game away from the national championship and a game after we got embarrassed by a 7-5 wisconsin.

that georgia.