Do Something even if it's Wrong

I have been silent for a while. I hope you have enjoyed the respite.

Many have said it is crazy to fire a 9 win coach. I ask is it too much to expect a BCS bowl (4 bowls = 8 teams per year times 7 seasons = 56 teams) or a conference championship one time while my dog ages 49 years?

I can't imagine interviewing Bo 7 years ago or any candidate today and them saying "whoa, slow down there big fella, you are expecting me to win something that involves an actual trophy? Now that is just crazy talk, let's set the standard more like programs with far inferior facilities, no reputation and half our budget, then I will sign on as the new coach of the Huskers".

I think you get my sarcastic point.

Meanwhile, who's the next coach? I suggest to you, while our fate hangs heavily on the decision, the mere fact we made the change is the biggest decision to propel Nebraska forward in decades. This is not like firing Solich -- we fired Solich because no one in 2003 was willing to say 7 more years of middle of the pack is okay with us. Firing a coach when you are drifting from 1st to 5th to 23rd is the obvious thing to do. This was a much harder decision. We are beginning to accept being middle of the pack, inertia was with Bo. A body at rest stays at rest. We were beginning to accept 22nd place.

My old coach Fred Biele used to yell to his middle of the pack runners "do something even if it's wrong". His point was that if you were running in the middle of the pack (I was quite slow, being middle of the pack was a good day for me) and you make a move that doesn't work, then what did you really lose? You were losing (by not winning) just as much in 20th place as you were in 10th place. But you tried -- trying gives you a chance! Kudos to Eichorst, who, for all of our sakes, had the guts to try.

• Fire 4

The fact that we made the change........spot on.

It showed Eichorst and Nebraska's resistance to accepting this nine win bar we've seemed to hang our hats on. I was amazed that Eichorst actually did it, as much as I felt it was the right choice.

It was the right choice.

Things will be better from here on out.

Anyone not devoted to the future of this program regaining its elite status, needs to get the f#*k out of the program.

• Fire 1

Good advice for a pre-Vegas pep talk, also.

I don't understand the line of reasoning from Colin Cowherd (and others) that Nebraska just is a 9-win program now, so firing Bo was a mistake.

If you accept being average, you will be. If Nebraska tries to be great, and fails, well, we're still a 9-win program. Not trying is the only way to gaurantee we'll be average.

• Fire 1