Tanking on purpose

Forgive me if this has been said....but....

I was reading all the other threads. I find it odd to hire a coach without really any kind of interview process. What was that conversation like? Hey want a job....Maybe....it's Nebraska....OK.

Part of me thinks that he hired this coach because he wants him to only win 7 games for a bit. I know that sounds crazy...but by then other great coaches will forget the "I fired the 9 wins per season" guy. Then they might want to come in here and try to build a Champion. At that point it might be too late and the damage has been done...dont you think we have hurt long enough since Clown - a - han.

Problem I have is that great coaches figure out how to win no matter what their talent or circumstance (Duke, Baylor, Kstate, heck even Kansas at one point). Please don't point to his bowl wins....winning the independence bowl and the hawaii bowl can be done with the old staff. Just because this guy has access to more resources does not mean he will be any different.

I want to eat crow so much...but I just do not see the next 5 years being very nice to us Husker fans. Please let me be wrong

With that said...i will be sitting on my couch come the first game next year..and cheering on my team no matter what my feelings of the hire. GBR!!!!!!

Babbling off!

:boxosoap:rant

That's a little odd. There's been very little blowback over Bo's firing. Yes, some media members or fans of other second-tier teams think Nebraska should simply accept a second-tier place in the college football world, but there's been a lot of understanding, a wide acclaim for Riley.

Riley may be a somewhat "going safe" hire in that at 61, they're clearly not thinking he will reel off 20 sensational seasons and end up a legend; he's just a solid football coach that should bring a high level of competency to Lincoln. In addition, we're unfortunately at a juncture where healing the discord sown by the previous staff is a priority, and so are restoring class to the Nebraska brand, and restoring Nebraska standards (i.e, treating seasons that end without conference titles as disappointments). We have a hire that will do this and his era, even if successful, probably won't be much longer than a decade.

I think it works out perfectly: if he doesn't manage to succeed on the field, he will hand off a better branded program off it. If the Riley era doesn't work out, it won't be "My, we totally bombed. Back to the drawing board yet again" -- it will have been a necessary healing step.

You mention Duke and I assume you mean Steve Spurrier and his 20-13-1 record there, capped off by a loss in his one bowl appearance, the All-American Bowl, at the end of an 8-4 season.

• Fire 3

If you read some articles from OWH, or saw the SE Q&A after Riley had done the questions at the news conference, there was about two hours of interviews in a hotel in San Francisco.

And the only reason a guy who has what amounts to a lifetime contract at a school at his age(particularly as the school could not afford the buyout to fire him), is he really wants to prove he is more, and can do more, than what his legacy to this point says. This is going to be his last job.

Why on earth would an AD at a football school actively sabotage his flagship? That is certain career suicide.

• Fire 1

No, theres a strong flow of kool aid going in the the stout riley supporters. Those of us who are wondering where the hell this came from are alittle more skeptical.

Or, maybe some of us are willing to give the new guy a chance before we deem him a failure. I mean, we only gave big nose 7 years.

smosh_you_idiot__gif_by_brookecphotograp

• Fire 5