Let the Staff Fail You on the Field (or, Give the Guys a Chance)

Branno

Looking at the program right now - we're roughly on par with Iowa. 3rd or 4th best team in the Big Ten West.That's the starting point for Riley.

Exactly, Dude. That means a lot more than 9 wins, 10 wins, whatever it is.We're a secondary consideration for favorites in division. The first goal should be taking back status as the division's top dog. If Riley can't surpass or at least equal Wisconsin, his tenure won't be longer than Pelini's.The next step after that would be to equal Dantonio, but in the West. I hope that can happen. Meyer right now looks untouchable, but if Nebraska becomes on the same caliber as Michigan State, we'll be right in the mix.And year 2 -- who could have any idea. It could be an easy transition, or (hope not) a rough one.
So, would y'all be happy with a 5~7 season yet all of the losses are close?

But I'm glad that y'all acknowledge that 9 wins is irrelevant and cements the thought that if he doesn't do that next year he should be fired.

Hey, UWs new coach had more of a rebuild project than the new coach, and he got to the CCG in year 2. Our schedule is even easier than last, there is no reason why we shouldn't win the conference and be in the playoffs in 2015.

No.

What?

Andersen took over a progrum that was a conference title 3peat. He didn't do much of any rebuilding on the offensive side of the ball. It's basically the same system they've had in place since the Alvarez days. Defense has undergone a big change. I suspect Riley will rebuild both the offense and defense here. The obvious reason I see for Nebraska maybe not making the playoffs is we're not one of the 4 best teams in the nation, and not even close to it. That's something the progrum needs to build toward. It's not something that's going to magically occur overnight, if we're looking at it from a reality-based point of view.

I skimmed the article. Agree that he is a good coach and CAN coach. Keep in mind this is NEBRASKA. We only expect and frankly, deserve, the best and brightest here. If you want a fine custodian of the program to get you through a few years while you find and groom the next hot shot, sounds plausible. IF you hired Riley to directly bring home the next two national championships, well that seems unlikely. I guess the question is... can he get us consistently in the top 10 before he retires?

How do you figure?

I have to agree with this. Riley's best chance for success are with the guys he knows and hired. He will be better equipped to be able to hit the ground running with his guys.

If it turns into a Bill Snyder type of situation then I agree with you 100%. There's not many of those guys out there though, I'm not sure Riley is quite at that level so I'm leaning towards us needing to recruit more than 3* guys - which is why, though really high on the hire, I'm a little disappointed with the assistants thus far - just from a recruiting standpoint. Seems like we've missed some opportunities to really be able to upgrade our talent. Time will tell whether that is a true statement or not.

Im disappointed with the assistants pruely for recruiting reasons. This staff will likely win as many games as Pelini more often than not, but we're not going to beat Ohio State very often with our players.

I was hoping this coaching change would address that issue. So far that doesn't seem to be the case. We're probably going to pull in the same fringe top 25 classes we have been.

Hehe, tell that to #1 USC when (unranked) OSU beat them. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73mBFsc9E8s