Let the Staff Fail You on the Field (or, Give the Guys a Chance)

Branno

Looking at the program right now - we're roughly on par with Iowa. 3rd or 4th best team in the Big Ten West.

That's the starting point for Riley.

Exactly, Dude. That means a lot more than 9 wins, 10 wins, whatever it is.

We're a secondary consideration for favorites in division. The first goal should be taking back status as the division's top dog. If Riley can't surpass or at least equal Wisconsin, his tenure won't be longer than Pelini's.

The next step after that would be to equal Dantonio, but in the West. I hope that can happen. Meyer right now looks untouchable, but if Nebraska becomes on the same caliber as Michigan State, we'll be right in the mix.

And year 1 -- who could have any idea. It could be an easy transition, or (hope not) a rough one.

I don't think Riley will get seven years to surpass Wisconsin, but I don't think he'll need it either.

The first year or two could be rough, just accounting for simple things like changes in routines, terminology, and playbooks, and depending on how well the current players are able and willing to adapt to new ways of doing things. Hopefully, it's easy on everyone.

Can we please get off the 9 win sh#t?

We need to tell Riley he can't win 9 games. He can only win less than 9 or win more than 9. NEVER 9!

My point is 9 means sh#t. How did we play? Who did we play? The number 9 is irrelevant.

So if we play well and lose you're ok with a losing season

It's impossible for Nebraska to both play well and have a losing season.

Can we please get off the 9 win sh#t?

We need to tell Riley he can't win 9 games. He can only win less than 9 or win more than 9. NEVER 9!

My point is 9 means sh#t. How did we play? Who did we play? The number 9 is irrelevant.

So if we play well and lose you're ok with a losing season

It's impossible for Nebraska to both play well and have a losing season.

How so? We played like crap but had 7 straight 9~10 win seasons.

When I found out we hired Riley I was one of those asking who the heck is Mike Riley? After reading up on him, seems like he has potential so I am going to support him. I am with many of you, not too pleased with the assistants being hired and I was never a fan of the offense he ran at OSU last season. After reading that article I am willing to give him a chance to prove himself on the field.

I skimmed the article. Agree that he is a good coach and CAN coach. Keep in mind this is NEBRASKA. We only expect and frankly, deserve, the best and brightest here. If you want a fine custodian of the program to get you through a few years while you find and groom the next hot shot, sounds plausible. IF you hired Riley to directly bring home the next two national championships, well that seems unlikely. I guess the question is... can he get us consistently in the top 10 before he retires?

I skimmed the article. Agree that he is a good coach and CAN coach. Keep in mind this is NEBRASKA. We only expect and frankly, deserve, the best and brightest here. If you want a fine custodian of the program to get you through a few years while you find and groom the next hot shot, sounds plausible. IF you hired Riley to directly bring home the next two national championships, well that seems unlikely. I guess the question is... can he get us consistently in the top 10 before he retires?

I am not trying to start an argument here, just discussion...but I don't think I fully agree with this. I think he might be capable of bringing home a national title or two. I know it was just Canadian football, but he has proven, that given the talent, he can make a program the best among its competition. He also proved he can do a lot with inferior talent and resources so as many have said before me, let's see what he can do with better talent and some of the best resources.

Also, I don't think he is going to retire at 65. He doesn't seem like a guy that is just waiting around to collect social security. There is no place where it says an NCAA football coach can't coach well into his upper 60s or even 70s. So I don't think he will necessarily be gone if he doesn't win a NC his first four years. I think if he makes progress....if we do what he did against all odds at Oregon State (a much lesser program) and wins big games, I think that will put him in a position to recruit great talent (something he seems pretty good at) and perhaps win a national championship or two. In my opinion, that's why he was hired. Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't imagine hiring a coach at Nebraska and expecting anything less than national championships.

I have to agree with this. Riley's best chance for success are with the guys he knows and hired. He will be better equipped to be able to hit the ground running with his guys.

If it turns into a Bill Snyder type of situation then I agree with you 100%. There's not many of those guys out there though, I'm not sure Riley is quite at that level so I'm leaning towards us needing to recruit more than 3* guys - which is why, though really high on the hire, I'm a little disappointed with the assistants thus far - just from a recruiting standpoint. Seems like we've missed some opportunities to really be able to upgrade our talent. Time will tell whether that is a true statement or not.

Im disappointed with the assistants pruely for recruiting reasons. This staff will likely win as many games as Pelini more often than not, but we're not going to beat Ohio State very often with our players.

I was hoping this coaching change would address that issue. So far that doesn't seem to be the case. We're probably going to pull in the same fringe top 25 classes we have been.

I have to agree with this. Riley's best chance for success are with the guys he knows and hired. He will be better equipped to be able to hit the ground running with his guys.

If it turns into a Bill Snyder type of situation then I agree with you 100%. There's not many of those guys out there though, I'm not sure Riley is quite at that level so I'm leaning towards us needing to recruit more than 3* guys - which is why, though really high on the hire, I'm a little disappointed with the assistants thus far - just from a recruiting standpoint. Seems like we've missed some opportunities to really be able to upgrade our talent. Time will tell whether that is a true statement or not.

Im disappointed with the assistants pruely for recruiting reasons. This staff will likely win as many games as Pelini more often than not, but we're not going to beat Ohio State very often with or players.

I was hoping this coaching change would address that issue. So far that doesn't seem to be the case. We're probably going to pull in the same fringe top 25 classes we have been.

So far huh? Like the 6 days he's been the HC shows how recruiting will go 3 years from now?

Im disappointed with the assistants pruely for recruiting reasons. This staff will likely win as many games as Pelini more often than not, but we're not going to beat Ohio State very often with or players.

So far huh? Like the 6 days he's been the HC shows how recruiting will go 3 years from now?
Based on their previous history (14 years), it's reasonable to assume as much.

Unless, of course, you believe (blindly) that the resources will reverse 14 years of trends for the staff at OSU or the last 15 years at Nebraska.

Which seems more likely? The staff will pull in top 15 classes or history will hold and our talent won't significantly increase or decrease?

Unless, of course, you believe (blindly) that the resources will reverse 14 years of trends for the staff at OSU or the last 15 years at Nebraska.

Which seems more likely? The staff will pull in top 15 classes or history will hold and our talent won't significantly increase or decrease?

We are replacing the last coach with a guy known for getting everything out of a player. Couple that with better recruiting opportunities to Lincoln versus Corvallis and I say he has a pretty good shot at doing better than Bo.

We are replacing the last coach with a guy known for getting everything out of a player. Couple that with better recruiting opportunities to Lincoln versus Corvallis and I say he has a pretty good shot at doing better than Bo.
Certainly his opportunities will be better. Im just skeptical on if recruiting will be elevated to the level necessary, because im under the firm belief that Nebraska absolutely needs top 15 or 20 classes every year.

Geographically that's going to be difficult to pull off. We need/needed coaches with recruiting ties and experience. I think MR can recruit as well or slightly better than Bo, but I don't know if we'll see the significant increase we need.