My boys were misbehaving terribly Tuesday. Wednesday morning there were three pieces of coal with a note from the elves saying Santa was not happy with them. It actually scared them straight. Pretty impressed with myself.

The Elf on the Shelf is also a very useful behavior modification device. I'm thinking about instituting it year round.

Of course, the day after I post this, this article comes out!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/style-blog/wp/2014/12/16/the-elf-on-the-shelf-is-preparing-your-child-to-live-in-a-future-police-state-professor-says/

Elf on the Shelf is “a capillary form of power that normalizes the voluntary surrender of privacy, teaching young people to blindly accept panoptic surveillance and” [deep breath] “reify hegemonic power.”

I'm still using it.

• Fire 7

My boys were misbehaving terribly Tuesday. Wednesday morning there were three pieces of coal with a note from the elves saying Santa was not happy with them. It actually scared them straight. Pretty impressed with myself.

The Elf on the Shelf is also a very useful behavior modification device. I'm thinking about instituting it year round.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/style-blog/wp/2014/12/16/the-elf-on-the-shelf-is-preparing-your-child-to-live-in-a-future-police-state-professor-says/

Elf on the Shelf is “a capillary form of power that normalizes the voluntary surrender of privacy, teaching young people to blindly accept panoptic surveillance and” [deep breath] “reify hegemonic power.”

I'm still using it.

who wrote that? foucault?

edit: they did reference bentham's panopticon specifically and foucault. that is pretty heady and funny. but i thought i was going to sound really smart and clever by mentioning foucault.

• Fire 5

i always got coal as a child. was always grateful. it is an extremely useful nonrenewable natural resource.

• Fire 5

I'm still using it.

I think it was written by an over-ambitious philosophy grad student who had a couple of drinks at the department holiday party.

• Fire 5

I'm still using it.

I think it was written by an over-ambitious philosophy grad student who had a couple of drinks at the department holiday party.

i think everyone should read discipline and punish and power/knowledge over the holiday break and when we reconvene we should discuss the application of disciplinary institutions to such modern concepts as santa and the elf on the shelf.

• Fire 5

i think everyone should read discipline and punish and power/knowledge over the holiday break and when we reconvene we should discuss the application of disciplinary institutions to such modern concepts as santa and the elf on the shelf.

No.

it is my christmas wish.

All I want for Christmas is you

• Fire 5

No.

it is my christmas wish.

All I want for Christmas is you

5416ffec2e32fc85609d1b10_giphy-1.gif

• Fire 7