2015 NFL Draft

Mavric

So, this trade is being floated. Really makes a lot of sense for all involved:

Chargers get Sam Bradford and #20 pick (from Eagles) and #33 pick (from Titans)

Titans get Phillip Rivers and Eagles' third round pick

Eagles get #2 overall pick

Chargers don't think they have Rivers past this season. Looking to trade him before they lose him in free agency. Also, don't want to be searching for a QB while moving to LA (possibly).

Titans get a proven QB they haven't had in forever.

Kelly - in all likelihood - gets Mariota.

Interesting. I wonder if they're just trying to imagine ways for Chip to get Mariota (and it does almost seem like destiny, doesn't it? We all want to see that.)

If I'm the Chargers, though, why not keep Rivers for this year, and then get the 3rd round compensatory if he leaves in free agency? It's not two 1st rounders, but Rivers is a core player and those 1st rounders could mean jack anyway. Doesn't seem like a good way to treat your fans, handing the reigns over just like that to a very unproven Bradford.

For the Titans, why wouldn't they want Mariota if he's such a prime prospect? Rivers is nice, but he's also 33. I suppose he is proven enough. A rookie franchise QB has a lot of upside, though, and there's the possibility that Rivers will flop in his final act. He's not Peyton Manning. I don't see how they will give up pick #2 *and* pick #33 here to acquire Rivers and change. That's a steep price and you could put that kind of prime draft stock to so much better use. Work the boards.

The Eagles trade Sam Bradford (a 2nd rounder, basically), a 3rd rounder, and 1.20 for the #2 overall pick to select a ballyhooed quarterback. That seems like highway robbery. Look what RGIII commanded. I'm not sure I see this as being realistic, but if Chip pulls it off...

I've been hearing talk of the Chargers looking to deal Rivers for some time now so I don't think that part is very far-fetched. Considering they aren't getting past the Broncos this year anyway ( chuckleshuffle ) it's better to try to get something for him if they believe they can't/won't resign him. And a talented QB along with two high draft picks is a pretty good haul.

The Titans have had a terrible time trying to draft a QB so getting a proven one is probably a good alternative. You have to go back to 1995 (McNair) to find a QB they drafted who has even been average in the NFL. Young and Locker were busts and none of their later-round selections have done anything for anyone. Even at 33, Rivers probably still has 5-6 pretty good years left.

Pretty sure RGIII was the outlier. I'm not Mel Kiper but it looks like trading into the Top 5 usually costs you your first rounder and a second rounder or something pretty similar to that.

Chargers don't think they have Rivers past this season. Looking to trade him before they lose him in free agency. Also, don't want to be searching for a QB while moving to LA (possibly).

Not sure why Titans do this deal. You have to give up #2 and #33 for an aging QB with attitude issues who hasnt really won a big game and a late 3rd rounder?

Plenty of teams want Mariotta, i am pretty sure you can get multiple firsts including a top 10 pick.

Not sure why Titans do this deal. You have to give up #2 and #33 for an aging QB with attitude issues who hasnt really won a big game and a late 3rd rounder?

Plenty of teams want Mariotta, i am pretty sure you can get multiple firsts including a top 10 pick.

It's probably a little shaky on their side. Just depends on how they view Rivers. As I said, they've had no luck drafting QBs so perhaps they don't want to take another chance on someone who would have to learn a totally new system. And Rivers likely has 5-6 good years left. Not a terrible investment in a known quantity.

And I don't think they would get multiple first-rounders. RGIII is definitely the outlier. If you look through draft trades over the last several years, There are very few that involve multiple first round picks. I'm not sure there are any other examples over the last 3-4 years.