What did Pelini say to the team

bruzer1053

And... nobody is shocked. But it would have been nice if this weren't true.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/bo-pelini-insults-a-d-shawn-eichorst-in-expletive-filled/article_b202b14a-8633-11e4-8c91-f3f5386da4f8.html

I mean, sheesh.

Pelini told his players that Osborne was forced out of the A.D. role in 2012 and Pelini knew what was “around the corner.”

“I'll put it to you this way,” he said. “It didn't surprise me how it played out.”

“At the end of the day, it’s hard enough to build something. You’ve got to have everybody going in one direction. And it wasn’t. Everybody wasn’t going in the right direction.

“There were agendas and that goes all the way over to the chancellor's office. And between the A.D. and the chancellor and they want their own guy in here, go ahead. Good luck to ya.”

This is not how you instill integrity and class into young men you were entrusted to lead.

The profanity and all is what it is, he got fired he was pissed, I've been there. But when he was talking about getting paid before his assistance and taking care of his players that irked me. He preaches selflessness and doing the right thing, but the first words out of his mouth are what about me. Take a good long hard look in the mirror Mark. How do you like that my man?

He told them he remembers researching who they were and what kind of young men they were. He remembers choosing them, recruiting them, sitting in many of their living rooms talking to their parents about life at Nebraska. He remembers telling them he'd take care of them, and he told them that's what he's tried to do.

He told them he didn't agree with the decision to fire him. He felt the program was in good shape, that he had been a good steward of his players, and that although he agrees there are things that need fixing, he thought and thinks that he's the man to do it. He said he didn't regret the choices he's made.

He told them he's enjoyed watching them grow as players and as young men. He told them he's proud of who they are, he's proud of what they've accomplished, how far they've come. He told them he will be watching them as they continue their careers, and that he's going to be their fan now, not their coach.

He told them some things didn't go right, and he took responsibility for it. He told them about life and consequences and choices and that things don't turn out the way you think they should, or that sometimes people don't see things the way you see things. He told them things change, and it's not always a change you wanted or felt was right.

He told them this is part of the business. That football is a big world and that nothing is set in stone. He told them coaching can be a rough business and it's not for the faint of heart. He told them that he would be OK, and his coaches would be OK, and that they were not to worry about them. He told them to focus on school, keep their heads up, and to work hard. He told them that's what he expected from them every day and that hasn't changed.

He told the Seniors it was their job to be role models for the team, to show them the work ethic he's always taught them to have. He told them he knew they would make him proud.

It was an emotional night, and not all of the emotions were sadness. He told them they were men of character that would get through that in time.

He said "heckuva" about 18 times.

Written after the OWH's article containing Bo's comments to the players came out

I'm not going to bother quoting this post to say this, but it needs to be said - I've rarely been more disappointed to be shown that I was wrong. Many, many Husker fans gave Bo our support until he more than proved it was misplaced. Even after his termination (which I also fully supported), I chose with the above words to take the high road, and to presume the best from Bo.

Bo Pelini proved me wrong. He's made an ass of the very people who supported him. This was an unnecessary bridge to burn, but apparently Bo could not stop himself.

You made this up. Why would you do that? Bo ripped into the President and AD. He said he knew some administrators were hoping we would lose to Iowa, and he told them to fire him. You write fiction well. Gotta give you that.

I think it was clear that knapp was making that up. It was an "obviously, this is what any coach is going to say in this situation, is there really any wonder? I mean, come on guys."

The kind of thing where you can't even imagine there's anything legitimately more to the story. This whole turn of events has been seriously unbelievable, even knowing and seeing some of Bo's prior antics as we all have.

One thing I'm curious about, this is being described as about 30 minutes of audio. That poor Lincoln high school guy was charged for almost 4 hours of usage time, if I recall.

• Fire 1

I think it was clear that knapp was making that up. It was an "obviously, this is what any coach is going to say in this situation, is there really any wonder? I mean, come on guys."

The kind of thing where you can't even imagine there's anything legitimately more to the story. This whole turn of events has been seriously unbelievable, even knowing and seeing some of Bo's prior antics as we all have.

One thing I'm curious about, this is being described as about 30 minutes of audio. That poor Lincoln high school guy was charged for almost 4 hours of usage time, if I recall.

Knapp's cred is shot. Seriously unbelievable? Knapp's version was seriously unbelievable. Did you think for one minute Bo would not piss in his nest on his way out after having done it so many times while sitting in it. If I was Tressel I would fire him pronto. What parent would want their kid mentored by this clown? Bad egg, man. Bad egg!

• Fire 1

Knapp's cred is shot.

No, it's not.

Knapp's cred is shot. Seriously unbelievable? Knapp's version was seriously unbelievable. Did you think for one minute Bo would not piss in his nest on his way out after having done it so many times while sitting in it. If I was Tressel I would fire him pronto. What parent would want their kid mentored by this clown? Bad egg, man. Bad egg!

I never had any "cred" to begin with. I'm just some schmoe with a keyboard and an internet connection. I have never professed to be otherwise.

I mean, if that post ruins my "cred" then I'm OK with that.

I never had any "cred" to begin with. I'm just some schmoe with a keyboard and an internet connection. I have never professed to be otherwise.

I mean, if that post ruins my "cred" then I'm OK with that.

How long have you had that avatar?

Woah, simmer down, man. You might be the only person who took that post as a knapp saying, "I claim to know what went on and this is what went on."

Did I think for a minute?...well, in a lot of ways, this doesn't surprise me. It doesn't surprise any of us. It's so fitting, isn't it?

But I did think Bo would say exactly the type of stuff knapp posted for example purposes, because for all my criticisms I thought he was a good man who would put his players first above all, and also a man resigned to his fate. And also a man smart enough to realize that the best vindication would be taking the high road and moving on.

As the weeks went by and Bo bothered to call Youngstown State speculation complete falsehood (heh), but didn't bother to release your standard PC "thank you for the opportunity here and thank you to all the Nebraska fans for our time here, etc, etc", sure, it got to be something I thought Bo deserved a little criticism for. But a wild, off-the-rails, insanely bad rant as his "this is for you guys" moment to his own team? I think a lot of us thought that particular rumor was too crazy to be true until it actually dropped.