Who starts at QB 1st game and last game>

bruzer1053

That's the beauty of the coaching change IF you trust these new coaches as talent evaluators and developers. There is no bias. It's a clean slate across the board. Tommy's experience is clearly a plus, but experience in Becks offense has proven to be regressing and damaging. Normally, Quarterbacks are supposed to improve over their careers.

There's also the benefit of simplification. If Riley's system is simpler it gives the player the ability to display their talents and abilities. It becomes more about developing the offense around the talent unlike Beck who was building his offense around HIS OWN talents. He was the chess master and players were simply pons. The other plus of simplification, more talented and sometimes younger players can find their way on the field and make an impact.

We need a qb leader that can maintain a calm presence regardless of distraction

This leads to development through experience. It creates depth. The best way to learn is through experience. The more guys who can "get it" and get onto the field, the better. The last staff not only rarely had depth, but for the majority of the time even the starters didn't appear to ever "get it". The coaches said as much on a regular basis.

That being said, who do you favor out of the chute? Who do you favor to finish strong? In Armstrong's case, it seemed as though his play reflected Bo's behavior on the field. When Bo went ballistic, TA looked much more flustered and at a loss.

That's the beauty of the coaching change IF you trust these new coaches as talent evaluators and developers. There is no bias. It's a clean slate across the board. Tommy's experience is clearly a plus, but experience in Becks offense has proven to be regressing and damaging. Normally, Quarterbacks are supposed to improve over their careers.

There's also the benefit of simplification. If Riley's system is simpler it gives the player the ability to display their talents and abilities. It becomes more about developing the offense around the talent unlike Beck who was building his offense around HIS OWN talents. He was the chess master and players were simply pons. The other plus of simplification, more talented and sometimes younger players can find their way on the field and make an impact.

This leads to development through experience. It creates depth. The best way to learn is through experience. The more guys who can "get it" and get onto the field, the better. The last staff not only rarely had depth, but for the majority of the time even the starters didn't appear to ever "get it". The coaches said as much on a regular basis.

then look at ohio state, even their 3rd string qb was ready to play.......our kids didnt get coached up!!!!!

We need a qb leader that can maintain a calm presence regardless of distraction

That being said, who do you favor out of the chute? Who do you favor to finish strong? In Armstrong's case, it seemed as though his play reflected Bo's behavior on the field. When Bo went ballistic, TA looked much more flustered and at a loss.

You can say that of TA and everybody else on this team. You could say that about Beck. Something went wrong or didn't work out and we went panic mode. Receivers started running deep routes looking for the home run. Tommy obliged them by throwing deep. Guys started trying to do more instead of just doing their jobs because we felt like we needed an answer and we needed it now! Instead of staying the course. No efficiency or consistency.

So let's say the staff brings that efficiency, high percentage passes, and consistency, a basic approach with a simplified concept which the team can execute on a consistent basis. Well, then it just comes down to putting your best QB in there to run it. From all accounts from those who get to see practice and the games, they say Tommy is the best QB on this team. I'm not NFL scout, but I think Tommy is a great pure talent with all the physical tools. He just needs some guidance and coaching.

So I'd say Tommy starts. If I had to say another, I hear that Bush kid is actually a hell of a QB.

Here's why I truly believe Tommy is starter from beginning to start.

I recently re-read the conversation someone had with Beck. In that conversation, Beck stated that he didn't want his team "running plays". I think in a lot of ways, he was speaking of zone blocking. However, it's not as if that's a brand spankin' new concept that we are only doing. Anyway, after reading that again and thinking about some mistakes I have seen over the season, I came away thinking that some of those pass plays, the WR's aren't running routes.

Now, obviously, they had some plays that had routes ran, and route concepts built within them. But some didn't. For example, Purdue. Tommy threw two picks. Both were to Westerkamp. However, every single coach verified what I had in real time. The WR ran the wrong route, or made the wrong read. Why is was there so much miscommunication between the QB and the WR? Probably because the WR often had too many option routes. So sometimes, they plain didn't have true routes to run, rather it seemed to be "if the coverage looks like this, run this". Which is great, IF everyone makes the right read. But if one guy makes the wrong read, it's disastrous.

After both of those INT's, Tommy looked visibly upset that the WR made the wrong move, or ran the wrong route. You can't blame him for that, but you also can't blame the WR. I actually found myself blaming the WR at the time. But now, that's on Beck. always has been. That's twice in one game. That's too many for a team if they are indeed "running routes". But probably just about right for teams that allow their WR's to run a couple options at the line dependent on what they saw.

Of course, we saw a similar mistake on the pick 6 vs. McNeese State.

The play against MSU where Tommy almost threw the game winning TD to Alonzo Moore. Moore almost made the catch, but couldn't pull it in. However, there were two guys running almost identical routes on that play. A lot of us thought "WTF?" but I think the answer is within the freedom given to those guys. They decided to run the same route.

I often think that Tommy was also being made to wait in the pocket to see what move the WR was going to make. Was the route going over or under the defender? Was the route going inside or outside this guy?

I mean, just watch Westerkamp on the second INT vs. Purdue. Tommy throws the ball inside the defender, and Westerkamp just suddenly goes outside of him. No knock on Westerkamp, he's going to playing Sundays. But what makes a WR make a sudden move like that 10 yards down the field? At that point, he should be looking for the ball. But it looked like he was still looking into coverage to make the "right read".

Are some of these mistakes made by Tommy, a true mistake made by Tommy? Of course, every single QB, even the best of them, will make mistakes. However, I think a lot of the time, Tommy could be a victim of the odd "option route" system by Beck. I'd love to see what Tommy does when coaches don't find themselves in the position of blaming WR's on INT's.

Boy, I know I'd be hard-pressed to think someone is going to surpass Tommy. Everyone is clearly in agreement that TA needs work, just like a lot of others players. Even with a new playbook, he's by far and away the most experienced QB on the roster, already has a lot of trust/respect from the team and has a very commanding presence. TA is one of those guys with hard-nosed leadership qualities many thought Taylor Martinez lacked at times.

Riley is probably going to come in here and give everyone a fair look. But, I think TA has a lot going for him so the chances for him to be the starter are pretty darn good.

What I hope the fan base can get behind is to trust the coaches to put the best players on the field. Whatever the name on the back of the jersey is... it doesn't matter. Whoever gives us the best chance to win needs to be our starter, and if it's not the guy some of you 'want' to see, you need to get behind 'the' guy for game one. This whole 'give-the-kid-a-shot' idea is unwise. It can work for you or it can backfire, so I just say trust the coaches to do their jobs. It's not like we really have any say in the matter otherwise.

I would be shocked and disappointed if TA started the first game of the year. Not an indictment on TA as a person, but, in my personal opinion, a big part of our struggles on offense was defenses having zero respect for our passing game. They knew they could play us straight up on the outside and deep. TA could not even routinely complete the dump off check down to the running back.

At a major D1 program, that just doesn't get the job done.

Understandable opinion. I think everyone agrees he needs to get become a better, more intelligent, more accurate passer.

But, you're taking a shot in the dark with the other guys more-so than TA. I'm certainly not saying TA needs to be the starter because he has been the starter. My only point is, with the exception of Fyfe, we've never seen the other quarterbacks play a down of college football. And, quite simply, you or I don't know much about guys like Stanton or Darlington.

If TA trots out there for the first snap then we need to be behind him, not disappointed.

I would be shocked and disappointed if TA started the first game of the year. Not an indictment on TA as a person, but, in my personal opinion, a big part of our struggles on offense was defenses having zero respect for our passing game. They knew they could play us straight up on the outside and deep. TA could not even routinely complete the dump off check down to the running back.

Understandable opinion. I think everyone agrees he needs to get become a better, more intelligent, more accurate passer.

But, you're taking a shot in the dark with the other guys more-so than TA. I'm certainly not saying TA needs to be the starter because he has been the starter. My only point is, with the exception of Fyfe, we've never seen the other quarterbacks play a down of college football. And, quite simply, you or I don't know much about guys like Stanton or Darlington.

If TA trots out there for the first snap then we need to be behind him, not disappointed.

Stanton played against FS for about 30 seconds.

Stanton played against FS for about 30 seconds.

I stand corrected.

But, basically a drop in the water overall.

Stanton! Dual threat, and a great Pocket passer. Throws great on the run and has a nice deep ball. And he will not hesitate to take off. Good foot speed. Don't know how much-if at all- his injury effected him. We will see! He has tremendous poise, and a rifle for an arm. Tommy has all of the physical tools like Stanton , but lacks the poise at times and is inconsistent. This was a serious problem during the Bo years...Inconstancy at QB ! Perhaps this is simply a systemic and/ or mechanical thing with Tommy that Riley can correct: If not ; then I believe Riley will not hesitate to go to Stanton or Perhaps Darlington who is also very impressive. Stanton was heavily recruited by Riley, because he fits Riley's offensive scheme. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_ped-BYisE