We do have talent....

mwj98

gossamorharpy man, don't get me started. You obviously don't know Nebraska's history at running back, and how depth completes our team. Your knowledge cannot race past 5-10 years of this school's storied history.

Man. Anyone can see our mistake by allowing Aaron Green to leave. At running back, you have to stock up. You have to!!!! Attrition will rock you. It crushed our NU when we had to face Melvin Gordon and Wisconsin a month ago. A banged up Ameer Abdullah was not going to be enough going into that matchup.

Nebraska teams of the past loaded up at running back. We did not let 5-star RBs leave. We didn't!!!!

1980 - Jarvis Redwine, Roger Craig, Craig Johnson. Great depth. No one left or transferred. The team went 10-2.

1981 - Roger Craig, Mike Rozier ... both combined for over 2,000 yards rushing as tailbacks. No one left the team. 9-3.

1982 - Roger Craig and Mike Rozier again. Ditto. 12-1 record. Jeff Smith joined the fine duo.

1983 - Roger Craig, Jeff Smith, Paul Miles ... you got to have depth. Scoring Explosion, 12-1.

Move on ...

1987 - Keith Jones, Ken Clark, Tyreese Knox ... tremendous depth. Keep everyone happy! Tom Osborne did (while Coach Pelini kept Aaron Green on the bench in 2011) Huskers roll to 10-2.

1988 - Ken Clark, Tyreese Knox, Leodis Flowers ... these were tremendously talented runners. Osborne didn't let anyone transfer. It worked. A 11-2 finish and a Big Eight title.

Move on a few more years ...

1991 - Calvin Jones and Derek Brown ... Both wanted to be the MAN. Calvin Jones was a 5 star recruit that wanted to start. He was patient. Derek Brown ran to 1,300 yards while Calvin Jones piled up 900 yards (8.3 yards a carry). Coach Osborne kept them happy, even when the duo felt discontent. 9-2-1 record.

1992 - The "We Backs" Calvin Jones and Derek Brown both ran north of 1,000 yards that season. Jones averaged 7.2 per carry. Brown was a shifty 5-9, 185 pounder who remained elusive while Jones ran a 4.3 forty yard dash and had several 90 yard touchdown runs during his career. 9-3 record.

We had depth back then. Coach Osborne found a way to keep his running backs from leaving. Coach Bo Pelini blew this task. I have been watching TCU's Aaron Green's stat line the entire year knowing fully what a huge, HUGE error this was ... that the current Nebraska had forgotten how the former version of itself had managed to successfully build up its running back depth.

Scholarship limits...............

One of the biggest problems I always had with Bo and his recruiting was how he seemed to stack certain positions while trying to go bare bones on others. At different times in the past seven years, we used a lot of scholarships on just QBs and RBs while pretty much neglecting OL and other positions.

My complaint as well.

Bo also seemed to honor his word too much. Take this year with Bussey. He honored his word with him even though he was taking trip after trip. It isn't even sure the Bussey would have stayed if Bo was still coaching. A real head coach will understand that they need to look out for the team. Who cares if someone else wants to be the "only" at whatever position. Tell them frankly and honestly that you will continue to recruit others because it is a position of need and you need as much talent as you can get. If a player doesn't want to compete against other players that should be a huge red flag about his make-up.

gossamorharpy man, don't get me started. You obviously don't know Nebraska's history at running back, and how depth completes our team. Your knowledge cannot race past 5-10 years of this school's storied history.

Man. Anyone can see our mistake by allowing Aaron Green to leave. At running back, you have to stock up. You have to!!!! Attrition will rock you. It crushed our NU when we had to face Melvin Gordon and Wisconsin a month ago. A banged up Ameer Abdullah was not going to be enough going into that matchup.

Nebraska teams of the past loaded up at running back. We did not let 5-star RBs leave. We didn't!!!!

1980 - Jarvis Redwine, Roger Craig, Craig Johnson. Great depth. No one left or transferred. The team went 10-2.

1981 - Roger Craig, Mike Rozier ... both combined for over 2,000 yards rushing as tailbacks. No one left the team. 9-3.

1982 - Roger Craig and Mike Rozier again. Ditto. 12-1 record. Jeff Smith joined the fine duo.

1983 - Roger Craig, Jeff Smith, Paul Miles ... you got to have depth. Scoring Explosion, 12-1.

Move on ...

1987 - Keith Jones, Ken Clark, Tyreese Knox ... tremendous depth. Keep everyone happy! Tom Osborne did (while Coach Pelini kept Aaron Green on the bench in 2011) Huskers roll to 10-2.

1988 - Ken Clark, Tyreese Knox, Leodis Flowers ... these were tremendously talented runners. Osborne didn't let anyone transfer. It worked. A 11-2 finish and a Big Eight title.

1991 - Calvin Jones and Derek Brown ... Both wanted to be the MAN. Calvin Jones was a 5 star recruit that wanted to start. He was patient. Derek Brown ran to 1,300 yards while Calvin Jones piled up 900 yards (8.3 yards a carry). Coach Osborne kept them happy, even when the duo felt discontent. 9-2-1 record.

1992 - The "We Backs" Calvin Jones and Derek Brown both ran north of 1,000 yards that season. Jones averaged 7.2 per carry. Brown was a shifty 5-9, 185 pounder who remained elusive while Jones ran a 4.3 forty yard dash and had several 90 yard touchdown runs during his career. 9-3 record.

We had depth back then. Coach Osborne found a way to keep his running backs from leaving. Coach Bo Pelini blew this task. I have been watching TCU's Aaron Green's stat line the entire year knowing fully what a huge, HUGE error this was ... that the current Nebraska had forgotten how the former version of itself had managed to successfully build up its running back depth.

Agree

it's hard to keep a stable full of prima donna RB's now.....they play for highlight reels and stats.......no one likes to sit on the bench and running back by committee makes no one happy.......still, you need at least 2 great backs and Ohio state proved they could keep 3 really good QB's......although I doubt Braxton play next season for OSU.......damn, they got talent at QB 3 deep!! sh#t, we can't even get one guy to be a real QB...that's how far we have to go!!

And that was my point when I started this thread. I just scratch my head as to why we couldn't make a green stay and be happy. You gotta have depth in the big ten because come October and november...more running the football.

I'm not so sure I scholarship limits is the reason. I seriously think, especially after the infamous meeting transcript, that Bo and his style had a lot to do with it. Yes, kids are a little coddled. But, a grown man getting into a players face and dropping f bombs may be too much for some. Challenging to administration, etc. it was an "us against them" mentality. And if you want to transfer "don't let the door hit you in the butt". Instead of Bo maybe tempering his attitude a bit, he doubled down.

GBR.

Move on ...

Agree

it's hard to keep a stable full of prima donna RB's now.....they play for highlight reels and stats.......no one likes to sit on the bench and running back by committee makes no one happy.......still, you need at least 2 great backs and Ohio state proved they could keep 3 really good QB's......although I doubt Braxton play next season for OSU.......damn, they got talent at QB 3 deep!! sh#t, we can't even get one guy to be a real QB...that's how far we have to go!!

And that was my point when I started this thread. I just scratch my head as to why we couldn't make a green stay and be happy. You gotta have depth in the big ten because come October and november...more running the football.

I'm not so sure I scholarship limits is the reason. I seriously think, especially after the infamous meeting transcript, that Bo and his style had a lot to do with it. Yes, kids are a little coddled. But, a grown man getting into a players face and dropping f bombs may be too much for some. Challenging to administration, etc. it was an "us against them" mentality. And if you want to transfer "don't let the door hit you in the butt". Instead of Bo maybe tempering his attitude a bit, he doubled down.

GBR.

agree, the old Bolini f'd up.........big time....you don't challenge your boss to fire you and get away with it......i don't give 2 sh#ts who you are! you don't have to respect the man, but you damn sure better respect the position!

and those of you in business know exactly what i mean.......