Do the Huskers Beat Miami in 1994 with Turman?

I just re-watched the game. The Miami QB took a beating. Nebraska held Miami to minus 40 yards in the fourth quarter. Boy, I miss that type of Husker D. Brook played awful. A terrible int and a fumble that cost the Huskers two TDs. Tommy only played 5 series, but his running ability was an improvement over Brook. Could Turman have won it? Maybe. If not for the three turnovers, this game is a blowout. I am still amazed that the Huskers were minus three in the turnover stats and won (I do not count the last Miami interception, because if it is batted down we have the ball inside the five, and it was a desperation, fourth down throw). If Turman can run a little bit, and have zero turnovers it may have been enough.

Tommy had a late long run that switched field position and was crucial. I dont think Turman makes that play.

Nebraska most likely punts on that series, but if Turman has zero turnovers. the Huskers don't need that run. I still don't know if Phillips and Schlesinger can get first downs without a good running QB or an average passing QB.

The go ahead touchdown was a new type of blocking scheme in which they had been setting Sapp up on all night. His aggression took him out of the play and he really didnt need to be touched. We formationed him into the gap we wanted him in, and right on cue, he shot a gap like he'd been doing all night and was literally 5 yards into the backfield as Stai let him go right on by. It allowed for two other lineman to get down on the backers and the Muhammed took out the safety. It's just a perfect example of why sometimes blind penetration can kill you. You have to be under control. And as Nebraska wore on those guys and it got to the nitty gritty, Sapp's desire to make a play got the best of him.

This is my understanding, and why Osborne gets credit for his foresight and patience.

The Schleisinger fullback trap is the play-action fake for 3 and a half quarters. The defense gets used to him being the lead blocker and going around him. A team with Lawrence Phillips and the recently inserted Tommie Frazier isn't suddenly going to its fullback with the game on the line.

But then we did.

I got that info off of BTN's Elite program on the 94 team by the way-I think. I think that was the show. Clinton Childs calling the option an illusion. Pretty sure that was the one. Then you watch it and it makes sense. Just thought I'd throw that out there that it wasnt my analysis.

There was talk of excluding OSU from the playoffs because they were down to their third string QB

The more reasonable argument was that TCU finished with the same record despite having played a tougher schedule, of course. I mainly wanted to chime in to say I appreciated the insight on CS's TD, though.

Not a popular observation around here, but the Pierson-El fourth down play in the Holiday Bowl reminded me a little of this. They run DPE in that same play action fake for three and a half quarters. You never expect him to actually get the ball, just be a distraction and drag a linebacker with him.

Calling his number in that moment wasn't a bad call, just an unsuccessful one.

• Fire 1

I am endlessly amazed by the useless topics that are debated on this board. Why debate past history? Some other debatable topics:

Does the Viet Nam war happen if George Washington doesn't cross the Delaware River?

Does Richard Nixon resign if the Watergate Hotel was built in Baltimore?

Does Mama Cass die if the room service phone had been out of order?

Does it matter?

Knapp is spot on.

I'll put Cardale beyond capable. How unique is it that the 2nd guy (Barrett) comes in, and in quick development seems to be the better qb. Then he goes down, and the 3rd guy comes in, and in almost instant development, HE seems to be the better qb. It just seemed like they kept getting better as each qb went down. Pretty sure you cant say that about 1994 Nebraska.

I don't think you could say that about any team in the last 30 years.

It was just one of those things that OSU was extremely lucky with. It proves that to win championships, you gotta be good but also have some dang good luck too.

Knapp is spot on.

I'll put Cardale beyond capable. How unique is it that the 2nd guy (Barrett) comes in, and in quick development seems to be the better qb. Then he goes down, and the 3rd guy comes in, and in almost instant development, HE seems to be the better qb. It just seemed like they kept getting better as each qb went down. Pretty sure you cant say that about 1994 Nebraska.

I don't think you could say that about any team in the last 30 years.

It was just one of those things that OSU was extremely lucky with. It proves that to win championships, you gotta be good but also have some dang good luck too.

I agree, but odds are still good that there is some outstanding talent sitting on the bench every season, stuck behind better players or worse players and/or with the wrong coaches and schemes. And we'll never know what coulda happened.

This is not an endorsement of Ryker Fyfe.