Do the Huskers Beat Miami in 1994 with Turman?

In my opinion it took BOTH Frazier and Berringer to beat Miami. So there is no way Turman would have done it alone.

Agreed. Both Frazier and Berringer brought a particular skill that could open up another facet of the offense. Berringer provided enough of a throwing threat to allow us to stay in the game by simply pounding and pounding on Miamis defense. That plan woulda been a massive failure if you go three and out all the time. Then when we had em tired (which was a big credit to our defense just as much as the oline with their umpteen 3 and outs in a row), we got the fresh legged Frazier in. So of course it took both.

• Fire 1

I'm not quite sure where people are getting we couldn't have beaten Miami with just Berringer. Frazier started the game and threw a horrific INT at a bad place on the field. Sure, Berringer also threw an INT but it was in the endzone as we were about to score. I'm more convinced we lose to Miami had Frazier played the entire game than the other way around. We were fairly lucky to even win the game. No way in Hades do we win with Turman the entire game.

Now, there's not a doubt in my mind we would have won the NC and by a considerable margin against Florida in the 95' season. Turman could have easily taken every snap that year, and we still would have finished the season undefeated and National Champs.

In the past 30 years, I can't think of a team that would have won the NC with their third string QB other than our 95' team and this years Ohio State team.

• Fire 1

I'm not quite sure where people are getting we couldn't have beaten Miami with just Berringer. Frazier started the game and threw a horrific INT at a bad place on the field. Sure, Berringer also threw an INT but it was in the endzone as we were about to score. I'm more convinced we lose to Miami had Frazier played the entire game than the other way around. We were fairly lucky to even win the game. No way in Hades do we win with Turman the entire game.

Now, there's not a doubt in my mind we would have won the NC and by a considerable margin against Florida in the 95' season. Turman could have easily taken every snap that year, and we still would have finished the season undefeated and National Champs.

In the past 30 years, I can't think of a team that would have won the NC with their third string QB other than our 95' team and this years Ohio State team.

One of those picks were not worse/better than the other. They were equally bad. And also recall the detail as to why we were about to score when Berringer threw the pick. It had nothing to do with anything Brook or the offense did. And before Tommie threw his int?, well the offense was cuttin and carvin up the Miami defense already for 40 yards or so on that drive before taking a deep shot.

I dont think you can say that about Turman in 95 either. Frazier was the Heisman runner up. he was the 2nd, and arguable, the best player in the country that year. Combine that with our issues at running back before Green emerged and the fact that without a dynamic playmaker like Frazier, the stretch of 3 games against top ten opponents in 4 weeks become closer, thus putting more pressure on a qb, and I have a hard time believing that as well.

There was a reason Turman was 3rd string. There was a reason he didnt start in '96 over the dreaded Frost. There was a reason shortly after halftime that Berringer deemed himself "good enough" to play against Kansas St and essentially help seal the deal. Nothing Turman did in that stretch of 8 quarters was extraordinary. Frazier and Berringer? They made plays.

2008 Florida?

Had Cam Newton as well as Tim Tebow... That's a stretch though... Because by saying that, you could say 1997 Tennessee with Peyton Manning and Tee Martin on the same roster.

I think one I would throw into that is 2000 Oklahoma. Heipel (sp?) wasn't a great QB, and Jason White was on the team as well as Hybl. Three very capable QB's that had the ability to not screw up enough in the original Air Raid scheme.

• Fire 1

One of those picks were not worse/better than the other. They were equally bad. And also recall the detail as to why we were about to score when Berringer threw the pick. It had nothing to do with anything Brook or the offense did. And before Tommie threw his int?, well the offense was cuttin and carvin up the Miami defense already for 40 yards or so on that drive before taking a deep shot.

I dont think you can say that about Turman in 95 either. Frazier was the Heisman runner up. he was the 2nd, and arguable, the best player in the country that year. Combine that with our issues at running back before Green emerged and the fact that without a dynamic playmaker like Frazier, the stretch of 3 games against top ten opponents in 4 weeks become closer, thus putting more pressure on a qb, and I have a hard time believing that as well.

There was a reason Turman was 3rd string. There was a reason he didnt start in '96 over the dreaded Frost. There was a reason shortly after halftime that Berringer deemed himself "good enough" to play against Kansas St and essentially help seal the deal. Nothing Turman did in that stretch of 8 quarters was extraordinary. Frazier and Berringer? They made plays.

Does Frazier throw that 19 yard TD pass right before halftime keeping us in the game? Considering he was throwing it into the dirt when he did pass, I highly doubt it.

I stand by my opinion that Turman could have easily won us a NC the 95' season. You talk about running backs, but you don't even mention how completely stacked we were at that position. Clinton Childs and Damon Benning were starters on any other team in the Big 8. Plus, our defense was stacked. One of those top ranked teams you mention was KState. We scored the lions share of our points in the first half when we owned the game by our defense and special teams. Against Kansas, our defense pretty much gave us that game after our offense laid an egg in the first half.

Cardale Jones is a helluva quarterback and a helluva story.

Imagine how good he'll be next year.

Or not.

He turned down the offer to go to the NFL after only three games, with draft experts pegging him as a second rounder.

Which do you suppose is more likely to happen?

a) Cardale Jones has a great season at OSU and goes in the first or second round of the 2016 NFL draft?

b) Cardale Jones slowly slides into oblivion; a trivia answer but never an NFL quarterback?