Spring Special Teams

Why did our guy just let a guy go to help on someone that was already blocked?

Looks like every other play by our Oline.

my exact words when that play happened? "Big boy from Giltner just stuck the final knife in the Pelini era. She's dun now"

It was a fun comeback win, I guess. I had a feeling that we would, since, you know, "Lolwa".

my exact words when that play happened? "Big boy from Giltner just stuck the final knife in the Pelini era. She's dun now"

It was a fun comeback win, I guess. I had a feeling that we would, since, you know, "Lolwa".

Maybe I'm alone here, but the comeback just further cemented the fact that a change was needed. Much moreso than had we been run off the field 48-7. Just further proof of the inconsistencies and erratic plays that's been plaguing us. The whole era was wrapped up into that 3 1/2 hour friday afternoon.

Maybe I'm alone here, but the comeback just further cemented the fact that a change was needed. Much moreso than had we been run off the field 48-7. Just further proof of the inconsistencies and erratic plays that's been plaguing us. The whole era was wrapped up into that 3 1/2 hour friday afternoon.

True dat

But at least we won. Even though I'm 1500 miles away, I couldn't take another year of Iowa fans squawking.

Hopes dashed .... Read said DPE will be used too much on offense to be returning kickoffs. Only punts. Hello Mr. Irons.

I don't like this. Pieron El was one of the best punt returners I have seen in years, he flat out won us or kept us in games last year.

He's still returning punts. I was hoping he'd return kickoffs as well.

great kick returner <> great punt returner

A punt returner is more "shake 'n bake". His #1 job (after catching the ball *cough, Kenny Bell, cough*) is to make the 1st defender miss and then look for an opening.

Kick returning is all about getting north/south ASAP.

• Fire 2

Read calls the sophomore Brown a hard-working kid and likes his leg strength.

In offering his initial impression on what things Brown might improve, the coach said: "He struggles a little bit with his hips at times, getting them squared up at the goal post, so we've been working on that, trying to maybe not have his side steps quite as wide ... and get his plant foot opened up."
It causes the ball to not always rotate cleanly, the coach said of the kicker who was 14-of-21 on field goals last year in his first year as a starter.
"We've been just trying to work on those things and get his hips squared up on the ball. It especially shows up more from the right hash than left hash. He's a hard-working kid and a real talented guy. He's got a real strong leg for not being overly big. I like him."

LJS

Read said Terrell Newby seems to be emerging as a lead candidate with how smooth he handles himself returning kicks. Other guys getting looks include Glenn Irons, Brandon Reilly, Mikale Wilbon, Eric Lee and Avery Anderson.

"Really, right now it's a development stage of things ..." Read said of some of those younger players. "We're banking reps for the future. Who knows where it will go?"

The coach does place value on experience when it comes to deciding who returns kicks.

"Because it's a big stadium when you're the only guy standing there, and the ball's in the air, it can really play tricks on your mind. I'm really looking for a veteran-type guy who understands what the pressure is."

LJS