Linebacker Depth

I know there is a lot of talk that we need speed at LB and we shouldn't worry about size. I too want a lot of speed at LB's. However, can we stop using LB's from 20 years ago as examples today? The opposing offensive line is so much bigger in today's football.

1995 Nebraska football roster: Throwing out obvious walk-on players, average o-lineman weight 275 lbs, only one 300 pounder (Adam Julch) http://www.huskermax.com/rosters/1995.html

2015 spring Wisconsin football roster: Average o-lineman weight 309 lbs, 14 of 16 O-linemen on roster over 300 lbs http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/wis-m-footbl-mtt.html

I used Wisconsin because they are generally thought of as the best o-line in the conference, just like the 1995 NU team was.

Ok, Lavonte David.

Darron Lee. The best defensive player (maybe tied with Bosa) on the field for the National Champ Buckeyes is 6'2 215 LB. They shutout Wisconsin.

I agree that we would all want great LB play, but people keep naming some of the BEST LB's in recent history when talking about LB's. Ed Stewart, Terrell Farley, Demorrio Williams, Lavonte David were all great LB's who thrived on their speed and athleticism. But, they all played the WLB where they weren't taking on direct blockers. Also, those guys were supremely talented!!! Those guys were All-Conference/All-Americans in college, and all but Farley had long careers in the NFL. Those guys are the exception, not the rule!

I know there is a lot of talk that we need speed at LB and we shouldn't worry about size. I too want a lot of speed at LB's. However, can we stop using LB's from 20 years ago as examples today? The opposing offensive line is so much bigger in today's football.

1995 Nebraska football roster: Throwing out obvious walk-on players, average o-lineman weight 275 lbs, only one 300 pounder (Adam Julch) http://www.huskermax.com/rosters/1995.html

2015 spring Wisconsin football roster: Average o-lineman weight 309 lbs, 14 of 16 O-linemen on roster over 300 lbs http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/wis-m-footbl-mtt.html

I used Wisconsin because they are generally thought of as the best o-line in the conference, just like the 1995 NU team was.

Ok, Lavonte David.

Darron Lee. The best defensive player (maybe tied with Bosa) on the field for the National Champ Buckeyes is 6'2 215 LB. They shutout Wisconsin.

Lee was only a 3 star recruit too. I have no idea if he is the best/tied for best player on OSU's defense but he was not a super hyped recruit.

What is the point that people are trying to make regarding the LB depth? I don't have an issue with one WLB playing at the 210-220 range, using his speed and athleticism to make plays all over the place. But NU can't have all 3 LB's at that size because teams would just run right at NU.

NU especially can't have small LB's if the d-line is going to shoot upfield in Banker's D. If there are d-linemen shooting upfield, the o-linemen will let them do that, take themselves out of the play, and then the o-linemen can manhandle small LB's at the 2nd level.

Give me speed and open field tackling over size any day for linebackers. We saw what happened to our linebackers when they were put into situations like covering a RB one on one by Bo.

Lets play with 11 CB's on the field!

Fastest team in country!

You don't think Josh Mitchell would've made a great DT?

Give me speed and open field tackling over size any day for linebackers. We saw what happened to our linebackers when they were put into situations like covering a RB one on one by Bo.

Lets play with 11 CB's on the field!

Fastest team in country!

You don't think Josh Mitchell would've made a great DT?

At the snap of the ball he would have been sooooo fast that he would have just shot the gap and tackled the QB!

Besides Reed and Young, all the others need to pack on some serous weight. I don't see any of them outside of Young contributing much unless it's special teams play if they don't redshirt.

I don't think adding weight is critical, and here's why

TERRELL FARLEY 1083160.jpg

Terrell Farley

(Getty Images)

Will Linebacker

(1995-1996)

6-1 / 205

ED STEWART 1083159.jpg

Ed Stewart

(NU Media Relations)

Will Linebacker

(1991-1994)

6-1 / 215

Chicago, IL

DEMORRIO WILLIAMS 1083154.jpg

Demorrio Williams

(NU Media Relations)

Will Linebacker

(2002-2003)

6-1 / 215

Beckville, TX

Those guys were great players but pretty much every offensive lineman and tight end are now bigger and faster than 15-20 years ago.

I still think they would be playing today... Also add Octavious McFarland.