Linebacker Depth

I just ran the numbers on our LBers and here's how it shakes out going into the fall:

SR David Santos 6’0” 225

JR Michael Rose 5’11” 240

JR Josh Banderas 6’2” 235

SO Marcus Newby 6’1 235

RSFR Gifford 6’3” 215

Dec Grad FR Dedrick Young 6’1” 220

FR Antonio Reed 6’2” 220 4.5

FR Tyrin Ferguson 6’2” 210

FR Mohamed Barry 6’1” 210

FR Adrienne Talan 6’1” 205 4.5

To me, Talan is the smallest and may be most suited for the S spot, with Berry and Ferguson playing the Hybrid LB/S spot or even the Nickel/Dime at this time. Even if those two put on 10 lbs they are still a good size for that spot.

I think we see Young and Reed playing one of inside positions. Barring injuries, we should have 6 ready to contribute this fall in games and hopefully one of the other 3 will have a high football IQ and will come in and pick it up fast, meriting playing time this fall as well. If we have 6 healthy and ready to go for game 1 we should be good, with another 1-2 catching on after a few weeks into fall. Many think Barry will contribute immediately, but really we just need one guy out of the 4 freshmen to step up to be our speed LB who covers in space.

• Fire 3

Besides Reed and Young, all the others need to pack on some serous weight. I don't see any of them outside of Young contributing much unless it's special teams play if they don't redshirt.

From what I've heard Banker values speed at the linebacker position a lot ore than Bo did. Bankers not over-infatuated with the supposed size "needed" to play LB'er in the Big Ten. It's not the case. Speed is king, always will be.

Do the kids need to add some weight? Sure they do and they will. At this age, the guidance in their diet and the direction from the strength training coaches, gaining weight is going to be easy for them. I would worry more about them gaining too much. As far as your comment about "serious weight" gain needed, only Ferguson, Barry, and Talan are 210 and under. I wouldn't say getting up to the average size of the other guys -about 225- is really serious weight gain at all.

I hope this new strength and conditioning coach is more worried about a player natural weight and what their body allows them to carry while still being agile. There's a point where packing too much muscle onto a frame becomes cumbersome.

Good breakdown girlknowsfootball. I have to agree with you that a good number of these guys should contribute. I hope they do. I've always believed the best way to teach into put them in there and experience it. Of course, if the offense can build some healthy leads, that makes it all much easier to do. Still, to build depth, these guys have got to get experience.

Besides Reed and Young, all the others need to pack on some serous weight. I don't see any of them outside of Young contributing much unless it's special teams play if they don't redshirt.

I don't think adding weight is critical, and here's why

TERRELL FARLEY 1083160.jpg

Terrell Farley

(Getty Images)

Will Linebacker

(1995-1996)

6-1 / 205

ED STEWART 1083159.jpg

Ed Stewart

(NU Media Relations)

Will Linebacker

(1991-1994)

6-1 / 215

Chicago, IL

DEMORRIO WILLIAMS 1083154.jpg

Demorrio Williams

(NU Media Relations)

Will Linebacker

(2002-2003)

6-1 / 215

Beckville, TX

• Fire 1

Tackling. That's what matters.

I want to see some ball hawks that find the ball and make the tackle.

We had several "bigger" linebackers in Bo's scheme. It didn't matter how big they were. They were too slow and COULDN'T TACKLE.

The best of all the linebackers to ever play for Bo was an undersized playmaker named LaVonte David. (as mentioned above)

Besides, this scheme isn't designed to put 11 guys in all different direction doing "their" job. There should be a lot more gang tackles.

I don't think adding weight is critical, and here's why

TERRELL FARLEY 1083160.jpg

Terrell Farley

(Getty Images)

Will Linebacker

(1995-1996)

6-1 / 205

ED STEWART 1083159.jpg

Ed Stewart

(NU Media Relations)

Will Linebacker

(1991-1994)

6-1 / 215

Chicago, IL

DEMORRIO WILLIAMS 1083154.jpg

Demorrio Williams

(NU Media Relations)

Will Linebacker

(2002-2003)

6-1 / 215

Beckville, TX

Those guys were great players but pretty much every offensive lineman and tight end are now bigger and faster than 15-20 years ago.

I posted this a while ago, but this is why we are so thin at linebacker

LB Recruits brought in

2011 - Pirman, Santos

2012 - Afalava, Anderson, Brown, Rose

2013 - Bandaras, Love, Newby

2014 - Walton

Add that up, and there are 4 LBs still in school over the prior 4 classes.

Is some of it bad luck? Probably. But bringing in 1 LB in 14 (when you knew that Pirman, Afalava, and Brown weren't panning out and Anderson was a graduating juco) wasn't a wise decision.

I know there is a lot of talk that we need speed at LB and we shouldn't worry about size. I too want a lot of speed at LB's. However, can we stop using LB's from 20 years ago as examples today? The opposing offensive line is so much bigger in today's football.

1995 Nebraska football roster: Throwing out obvious walk-on players, average o-lineman weight 275 lbs, only one 300 pounder (Adam Julch) http://www.huskermax.com/rosters/1995.html

2015 spring Wisconsin football roster: Average o-lineman weight 309 lbs, 14 of 16 O-linemen on roster over 300 lbs http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/wis-m-footbl-mtt.html

I used Wisconsin because they are generally thought of as the best o-line in the conference, just like the 1995 NU team was.

I know there is a lot of talk that we need speed at LB and we shouldn't worry about size. I too want a lot of speed at LB's. However, can we stop using LB's from 20 years ago as examples today? The opposing offensive line is so much bigger in today's football.

1995 Nebraska football roster: Throwing out obvious walk-on players, average o-lineman weight 275 lbs, only one 300 pounder (Adam Julch) http://www.huskermax.com/rosters/1995.html

2015 spring Wisconsin football roster: Average o-lineman weight 309 lbs, 14 of 16 O-linemen on roster over 300 lbs http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/wis-m-footbl-mtt.html

I used Wisconsin because they are generally thought of as the best o-line in the conference, just like the 1995 NU team was.

Ok, Lavonte David.

Ok, Lavonte David.

Yeah...just have 3 LD's starting each year!