McKewon: Numbers game at QB key to Huskers playoff hopes

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/mckewon-pursuing-another-quarterback-after-one-commits-shows-huskers-are/article_a7fd97c1-f8cb-5e8a-9ea4-e2a8116b7740.html

Find the QB. Whoever. Wherever. If that means taking two high school quarterbacks in the 2016 recruiting class, so be it. It worked in 1997, when NU grabbed Crouch and Bobby Newcombe. It worked in the early 1990s, when Nebraska signed five quarterbacks over three recruiting classes, including Tommie Frazier and Brook Berringer. It worked in 1975, when NU recruited Tom Sorley and welcomed California transfer Vince Ferragamo.

• Fire 1

It's not hard to figure out. Get a good QB. Odd of finding one go up when you take more than one in a class.

True enough. But is it worth the scholarship cost? If we have one per class plus a couple or three invited walkons, that's six or seven QBs we'd have on the roster. Should be able to find a decent QB out of that crowd. I'd just as soon spend more scholies on DTs or OL.

But I guess if we aren't assured of having a decent QB with six or seven on the roster, well then we'll just have to spend as many scholies as it takes.

It's not hard to figure out. Get a good QB. Odd of finding one go up when you take more than one in a class.

I don't know a ton about recruiting but I'm guessing taking two QBs decreases the number of QBs who are willing to committ to the team. A lot of them want to be the only one. Cue the "but we only want a QB who wants the competition anyway" response.

I get the feeling the coaches don't think they have the qb, they need, right now. If that is their thinking, I would tend to agree with them. Darlington may have the most upside in the long run, but don't think he would be able to hold up for a season. Tommie will be good enough to win a lot of games, just don't know if he can win enough "big" games. Bring in as many high school qb's as they want, but this is Tommie's team.

I hope he has one hell of a break out year, and proves he is the right qb, to lead this team to the B1G title.

GBR!!!

True enough. But is it worth the scholarship cost? If we have one per class plus a couple or three invited walkons, that's six or seven QBs we'd have on the roster. Should be able to find a decent QB out of that crowd. I'd just as soon spend more scholies on DTs or OL.

But I guess if we aren't assured of having a decent QB with six or seven on the roster, well then we'll just have to spend as many scholies as it takes.

Yea and how many of those has Nebraska gotten since passing the ball became an actually big deal in our offenses? The number you come up with is discouraging. Hopefully Riley can develop one or sway one, because history tells us that we will most likely have an average qb behind center.

I don't know a ton about recruiting but I'm guessing taking two QBs decreases the number of QBs who are willing to committ to the team. A lot of them want to be the only one. Cue the "but we only want a QB who wants the competition anyway" response.

Depends on how you "recruit." Tennessee signed three 4* QB's last year, got a commit from another 4* last month, and their current QB (who's not terrible) is only a junior.

4 is a good minimum number of scholarship guys to have at any one time -- three competing for the job during Spring and Fall, and a younger guy coming up behind the scenes, maybe a redshirt freshman; maybe two of those.

Some premiere teams who recruit extremely well and stock the numbers can go years without top-notch quarterbacking (look at Texas!) It's one position on the team that's worth the investment in numbers.