247Sports: How Riley Met the Players

Free read through 247 Sports! http://nebraska.247sports.com/Bolt/A-lay-of-the-land-37263114

This to me, speaks volumes of the coach we have. I am hoping this guy actually pans out and turns this program around!

Riley also added more to his plate — a lot more in fact — when he met individually with each of the 120 players on Nebraska’s roster.

Speaking Wednesday at the Lincoln Chamber of Commerce’s “Face The Chamber” event, Riley told a packed room that meeting the players was a big undertaking.

“One by one and we scheduled them in, 15 minute slots, and it takes a whole week to get those guys in,” Riley said....

• Fire 1

Does anyone remember if Bo did anything like this back in 2008?

I'm sure he had team meetings and whatnot, but individual meetings?

Either way, I like hearing these kinds of things from Mike Riley. He sounds like a coach who knows what he's doing and how to go about establishing trust within his program.

Can't wait for September!

Does anyone remember if Bo did anything like this back in 2008?

I'm sure he had team meetings and whatnot, but individual meetings?

Either way, I like hearing these kinds of things from Mike Riley. He sounds like a coach who knows what he's doing and how to go about establishing trust within his program.

Can't wait for September!

He had lots of individual meetings. Here are a couple.

bomad.gif

TURMOIL.gif

bo-pelini-o.gif

• Fire 3

Unsure about Bo. At least IMO, Riley is doing things the right way. Meeting the players, no quick decisions, embracing the fans, the media etc...... Now all this is prior to a loss or two or three...... I am unsure if doing things the "right" way will translate to more wins, but at least the perception of the program should be better. IMO, it also seems that those who pay attention to the "right" things will also pay attention to the details that will be more successful i.e. techniques, fundamentals, preparation etc...

If we base the teams success on the star ratings of the players, then the experience of this staff should count for success as well.

The meetings provided a chance to make some headway there.

“Because I didn’t get to recruit them, and we’re new to them and they’re new to us, I wasn’t in their homes with their families, I don’t really know their backgrounds,” Riley said. “So I asked them to give me a brief history about who they are, and talk about their families.”
Riley had all the reports in front of him on each player showing how they were doing academically, in the weight room and with their position coaches.
“I asked them how they were doing to see if it meshed,” the coach said to more laughter. “You know how that goes.”
And then Riley asked them something else: How did they get here? More specifically, why did they come here?
The question gave the coach a chance to learn something not just about his current players, but also obtain some useful kernels when it comes to courting future recruits as well.
“That’s all helpful information as you recruit, when one of the big issues, one of the big factors for all of them, was when they got to visit here,” Riley said. “Because no matter where the guys are from, it’s interesting … everybody’s friendly here, it’s that kind of place. There’s an atmosphere here I think that is unique to (players), no matter if they’re from Louisiana or Texas or California or Georgia.

LJS