Nebraska Toss Up Games in 2015

It's no secret that Memorial Stadium is a pretty docile environment compared to several SEC Venues, Big House, Horseshoe, Camp Randall or even Texas stadiums. We are hospitable to our guests and will even applaud the opposition.

Yet we still get loud when their offense takes the field and we make them uncomfortable.

Lincoln may not be Autzen Stadium or The 12th man, but I like our chances of beating Wiscy in our own sea of red.

It might not be a secret, but it's definitely overexaggerated by our own base.

We compare our crowd against Rutgers and McNeese to the LSU/Bama/OSU crowds we see on primetime against top teams. Our game at Michigan in 2013 was far quieter than Michigan's game in Lincoln in 2012. Source: I was at both in the student sections.

That is my point

I WASNT blaming the players or the scheme

MANY times it was poor fundamental skills like:

Pursuit, tackling, block destruction- not to mention all the very important "soft skills" that were absent like mental toughness and focus.

Can the new coaching staff do a better job?

They have more years of experience. Maybe they are better teachers and motivators, no one knows. Nice guys finish last and first, jerks finish last and first. Being "nice" doesnt matter in the W/L dept- it isnt a predictor.

Im certainly glad to see the "Frat House" time schedules or lack thereof are gone. Im very happy the old guard is gone etc

BUT the new guys don't have a consistent track record of excellent results, especially on defense. Remember OSU fans had the DC on the hotseat.

Time will tell

I know, I was mainly pointing the thumb there. I have been guilty of blaming the players on numerous occasions, despite knowing that what I see tells a different story. I always seem to see more being a few months removed from it and re-watching things.

You get what you coach

A contributing factor MAY have been something as simple as having to invest so much time in scheme, that it took time away from the basics- pursuit, block destruction, tackling

Ive only attended a handful of practices and none under the new regime, so I don't really know

It's no secret that Memorial Stadium is a pretty docile environment compared to several SEC Venues, Big House, Horseshoe, Camp Randall or even Texas stadiums. We are hospitable to our guests and will even applaud the opposition.

Yet we still get loud when their offense takes the field and we make them uncomfortable.

Lincoln may not be Autzen Stadium or The 12th man, but I like our chances of beating Wiscy in our own sea of red.

We compare our crowd against Rutgers and McNeese to the LSU/Bama/OSU crowds we see on primetime against top teams. Our game at Michigan in 2013 was far quieter than Michigan's game in Lincoln in 2012. Source: I was at both in the student sections.

I too was at the '12 Michigan game and thought overall the crowd was into it pretty hard.

Wisconsin prefers their "treat opposing fans and teams like they are garbage" approach. We prefer a classier atmosphere. Not a big deal.

But come game time I bet Miami wished they were in Florida last season. If we could get up for every big game like that we would see a big improvement in terms of Wins and Losses.

What you see on TV isnt the standard

Until youve traveled a bunch to these other stadiums live, you wouldnt know

I can speak from experience- LSU- Bama, A&M, not remotely close. Ears ringing after games- constant loud noise, entire game, not a series of plays

Has it been loud in the past for a few games? Sure 1977 Alabama, 1978 OU, a few Colorado games back in the MCCartney era- nothing recent as to very loud for an entire game.

The crowd has got older, fewer students attending games and everyone is ever so prideful of being great sports (which I like)

Ive spoken to several former opposing players who LOVED playing in Lincoln

The atmosphere, fans, noise etc- nothing intimidating about it at all. The only hassle for them was the flight and hotel stay

One guy from Cal- told me he got pissed. He thought the fans were being sarcastic when they pounded on his shoulder pads at halftime and saying "good game"

Even the 2 Colorado guys I talked to loved playing in Lincoln.

So the DC was on the hotseat?

Besides MSU, I think we have a great chance at winning them all. Not one team on our schedule really scares me.

How many times has NU seen the exact same or similar schedule, only to end up with 4 losses? Same time of year, same exact conversation. Go back into the archives, I bet it's the same conversation.

Then seeing NU lose to a Northwestern, Iowa State, Minnesota, Iowa or even McNeese State (should have lost it) Several miracle finishes to save what could have/should have been 5-6 loss seasons

Without Ameer, we see a couple more 5 loss seasons in there- Ameer isnt playing this year

Again- key is getting significantly better fundamentally, focus, mental toughness, ball security

• Fire 1

I can speak from experience- LSU- Bama, A&M, not remotely close. Ears ringing after games- constant loud noise, entire game, not a series of plays

Has it been loud in the past for a few games? Sure 1977 Alabama, 1978 OU, a few Colorado games back in the MCCartney era- nothing recent as to very loud for an entire game.

The crowd has got older, fewer students attending games and everyone is ever so prideful of being great sports (which I like)

Once you get a bit over 100db, it really doesn't matter that much. The difference between 110-130db, for the actual players on the field, is negligible - we're talking being able to communicate from 9 ft away to 8 ft away kind of thing.

Now, I have no doubt that other places sustain those higher peaks longer than we do. But so what? As long as we're up there when it matters, I personally could not care less if we're quieter on first and ten or 15 seconds before the snap when another crowd is 25 seconds before the snap.

Also, winning. Start winning games, it gets louder. Really that simple.

• Fire 1

Once you get a bit over 100db, it really doesn't matter that much. The difference between 110-130db, for the actual players on the field, is negligible - we're talking being able to communicate from 9 ft away to 8 ft away kind of thing.

Now, I have no doubt that other places sustain those higher peaks longer than we do. But so what? As long as we're up there when it matters, I personally could not care less if we're quieter on first and ten or 15 seconds before the snap when another crowd is 25 seconds before the snap.

Also, winning. Start winning games, it gets louder. Really that simple.

You moved the line of the debate- had to

The Net is NU isnt a tough place to play at all

Talk to an opposing coach or player who has played here- I have- to several, I travel 25-30 flights a year. I do business with coaches, had 1-1 long conversations with guys like Rick Neuheisel, Dan Hawkins. Bobbie Bowden etc they love talking NU football

Compared to most big name or even smaller venues with good fan bases- we're easy street. Opposing teams love playing here.

So many games, good games where the fans are a little loud to start with, then sit down, then sit on their hands until the 4th quarter. Nothing constant like many places.

Fans may think they are loud, because they have little to compare it to.

Sure Winning helps, but NU in 77 and 78 when noise was deafening, werent the best teams out there. Those were 9 win seasons too in the little 8. Fans have changed, the demographic has changed, the attitude changed some too.

So that's why Wisconsin is "going to" beat is this year? Because Nebraska isn't Death Valley or The Swamp?

I would also like to point out that simply because Wiscy has a 1000 yard rusher back from a season ago does not automatically give.them the win. This should be a dog fight, not the steamroll Badger win you expect.

So that's why Wisconsin is "going to" beat is this year? Because Nebraska isn't Death Valley or The Swamp?

I would also like to point out that simply because Wiscy has a 1000 yard rusher back from a season ago does not automatically give.them the win. This should be a dog fight, not the steamroll Badger win you expect.

Not what I said

Someone said NU had big homefield advantage and a lot to play for

I replied that Our homefield advantage isnt that big a deal at all according to most in the field and "playing for something" hasnt been a big motivator for this team, neither were big deals

Never claimed having a 1000 yard rusher was the only factor. It doesnt hurt, but NU doesnt have anyone in that ball park and losing Ameer is huge- Imagine NU wthout him last year against McNeese State or the year before at Northwestern- 2 more losses. .

They also have an experienced Big 10 Coach and 8 starters on D- including a real tough secondary- all back I think we are going to try and throw a lot.

The whole picture i painted earlier in the thread makes it a tough game to think NU could/should win.

To say that Stave sucks like many are- his career stats are pretty much in line with Armstrong- so no clear advantage for NU there either.

Maybe it isn't what Wiscy would have but regardless it is a home game for us. That helps.

Maybe Chryst knows the Big Ten, good for him. But he will have as much coaching experience at his new team as Riley will when they meet. Not worried about that.

Bo Pelini led teams have struggled to get up for big games, have faltered when something was on the line.

Sure they have an experienced RB and stout D. We aren't exactly falling apart at seams in either of those departments but we are less experienced.

Yes Abdullah is gone, we expected that. We have also replaced Burkhead and Helu and done okay.

Mcneese and NW were under Bo's watch. New era. Means Wisconsin is a long way from being a lock to win. Lets see how the team performs before writing them off.

Maybe it isn't what Wiscy would have but regardless it is a home game for us. That helps.

Maybe Chryst knows the Big Ten, good for him. But he will have as much coaching experience at his new team as Riley will when they meet. Not worried about that.

Bo Pelini led teams have struggled to get up for big games, have faltered when something was on the line.

Sure they have an experienced RB and stout D. We aren't exactly falling apart at seams in either of those departments but we are less experienced.

Yes Abdullah is gone, we expected that. We have also replaced Burkhead and Helu and done okay.

Mcneese and NW were under Bo's watch. New era. Means Wisconsin is a long way from being a lock to win. Lets see how the team performs before writing them off.

Chryst coached at Wisconsin for 7 years-

Their DC has been at Wisconsin since 2013

The OC has been at Wisconsin for 3 years- back this year

Several more with WIsconsin and Big 10 experience etc

Im not sure we have a big coaching advantage over them

Rileys staff hasnt coached at NU or in the Big

Would love to see NU win this one

Sure as hope we dont lose one like OSU did 2 years in a row to IAA teams

In other words, dont count all the "chickens" before theyre hatched and look forward to beating the big boys

Got to take care of the Northwesterns, Iowas, Minnesotas and even Southern Alabamas first before realistically looking at the top tier guys

In other words, dont count all the "chickens" before theyre hatched and look forward to beating the big boys

Got to take care of the Northwesterns, Iowas, Minnesotas and even Southern Alabamas first before realistically looking at the top tier guys

Ya I mean why even hope this year...might as well chalk up any close game as a loss...why even watch this season with that attitude

Ya I mean why even hope this year...might as well chalk up any close game as a loss...why even watch this season with that attitude

Season tickets since 1970- social event- something to do

I also have several former players on the team

You can go and have a good time- watching football games, no matter the outcome, if you approach the event right

Time with friends, absorbing the atmosphere, cheering the kids on, analysing the game etc

IMO only the crazy 9 year old kid with the corn head and foam finger who thinks NU is going to win every game every year gets real down about watching his team lose :hmmph

Losing sleep or getting uptight about my favorite college team losing a football game isnt something I personally do

Im not a 9 year old koolaid drinker who thinks my team is going to go 13-0 every year Im a realist that enjoys the game for what it is

Season tickets since 1970- social event- something to do

I also have several former players on the team

You can go and have a good time- watching football games, no matter the outcome, if you approach the event right

Time with friends, absorbing the atmosphere, cheering the kids on, analysing the game etc

IMO only the crazy 9 year old kid with the corn head and foam finger who thinks NU is going to win every game every year gets real down about watching his team lose :hmmph

Losing sleep or getting uptight about my favorite college team losing a football game isnt something I personally do

Im not a 9 year old koolaid drinker who thinks my team is going to go 13-0 every year Im a realist that enjoys the game for what it is

that's fine but thinking we are going to lose virtually any competitive game...then you are wasting all of your money and you shouldn't go to the game but that's my opinion..to each their own my single-minded friend