Nebraska Toss Up Games in 2015

K then

Redux, maybe you SHOULD just give up cheering for the Huskers. I mean, who wants to cheer for a team that is obviously going to get destroyed this coming year by every team except for South Bama. Even that game is a toss up.
I think you're right Stumpy. Apparantely there is 0 chance of us winning many games this season or next. Wisconsin is apparantely almost an NFL team and Minnesota has beaten us twice in a row so that means we will lose this years match up too.

Show me where I said that

We are a 7-9 win team next year, that;s what Ive said

Vegas has us at 8 wins

THe facts are the facts, however inconvenient they may be

Enjoy the games for what they are- no one here is actually on the team

The guys like in the OP who think we are going undefeated or lose just a single game play right into what many of the haters think about NU fans

I keep telling them it's a tiny foam finger, painted faced minority

Sumpys just mad because I showed him he was wrong about Dillard- with Dillards own words- no need to carry the grudge forward, you were wrong, just move on

Losing is no reason to pack your bags and being a fair weather fan like CU or Miami guys or the NU student section

Inconvenient? You are the one who said "not happening" in your original response to whether Nebraska can beat Wisconsin...then later you claimed they "could win" not "should win"....if anyone is guilty of changing any debate it is you

But if you think Nebraska can beat Wisconsin you are a 9 year old corn head.

• Fire 1

K then

Redux, maybe you SHOULD just give up cheering for the Huskers. I mean, who wants to cheer for a team that is obviously going to get destroyed this coming year by every team except for South Bama. Even that game is a toss up.
I think you're right Stumpy. Apparantely there is 0 chance of us winning many games this season or next. Wisconsin is apparantely almost an NFL team and Minnesota has beaten us twice in a row so that means we will lose this years match up too.

Vegas has us at 8 wins

The guys like in the OP who think we are going undefeated or lose just a single game play right into what many of the haters think about NU fans

Sumpys just mad because I showed him he was wrong about Dillard- with Dillards own words- no need to carry the grudge forward, you were wrong, just move on

Losing is no reason to pack your bags and being a fair weather fan like CU or Miami guys or the NU student section

Inconvenient? You are the one who said "not happening" in your original response to whether Nebraska can beat Wisconsin...then later you claimed they "could win" not "should win"....if anyone is guilty of changing any debate it is you

Have to be...no exceptions

• Fire 1

K then

Vegas has us at 8 wins

I travel for business 25-30 times a year- sports related, talking with football coaches. Probably 35-40 states in just last 3-4 years- not regional

They all ask about NU football

What their perception is:

Football is important here

Fans here are very polite and sportsmanlike

Fans here have outrageous and unrealistic expectations W/L wise about their football team every year

That's why the non Nebraska public thinks NU isnt a great job and why we couldnt attract a marquee coach in our last 3 hiring attempts

The public thinks most NU fans think NU SHOULD win all their games every year. You said should and unfortunately there are some who really think we have the ability and should win all of our games pretty much every year

I tell them only the foam finger, corn cob hat, face painted, lives in moms basement lunatic fringe are actually like that- that most NU fans are pretty smart about the game and realistic about our teams ability every year, but maybe Im wrong.

I tell them MOST NU fans just want to see good quality well coached football being played week in and week out

I tell them we can live with the 8 win seasons as long as there are some years here and there where we are competing for and winning league titles. Being in the hunt/conversation for a National Championship a couple of times a decade over the long term is the expectation

I tell them NU fans arent stuck in 1997 where we think all the team has to do is show up to beat half its schedule.

I tell them NU fans want a coach who is respectful to the public, plays by the rules and graduates players

I tell them MOST NU fans are realistic expectations wise and dont expect a team that lost its Heisman Trophy contending RB, has a weak D, spotty QB, turnover prone and weak mentally, unproven coaching staff, first year coaching staff- they dont think that that type of team should win every game they play.

Maybe I'll have to start rephrasing my answer.

Four things about football:

1. Team A can beat Team B

2. Team A can beat themselves

3. Team B can beat Team A

4. Team B can beat themselves

Theres two teams out there. Both are trying to win the game. Nebraska has shown an ability to do very well in both areas on that list. They've beat themselves multiple times. They've beaten the opponent multiple times.

If Nebraska plays a good fundamental game with limited mistakes, we have the talent to compete with absolutely anybody on the schedule. If we play a sloppy, poorly executed game, we've shown we can blow it or nearly blow it against anybody.

The new coaching staff has a world of experience over the prior staff and has a far better reputation for teaching and developing football players. I'd expect us to be highly competitive, but this is football. Teams have off days. One thing that can contribute to a team having an off day is when that team is going through their first year of system changes and learning new aspects of the type of team they want to be.

Anyone who thinks this team has no chance in a game is just as silly as the guy who thinks we'll blow out every team on the schedule. Recent history tealls us the odds are greater or lesser in certain games but how much of our recent history do you apply to things when we've just gone through a complete overhaul in the coaching staff; we haven't even seen the overhaul of the depth chart yet.

We could be looking at entirely different team next year. Matter of fact, I'm kind of hoping for it for the most part. I really don't know what to "expect" as far as wins or losses to who, but I expect Nebraska to be a much better footbal team overall. Sometimes simply playing cleaner, error free, fundamental football can translate to a win. Either way, that hould be the goal. Control what we can control. Be the team that we can be and take care of ourselves. It's been a long time since Nebraska football approached the game with that mindset and I think the Head Coach had an awful lot to do with focusing on the outside.

I'm looking forward to this season and the new approach, that's for sure.

How exactly do you know that our defense is fixed though and aren't trotting out the 100th ranked rush defense? I haven't seen any proof of this yet. I don't think it was just "Bo's defense". It was the lack of speed, athleticism and guys simply not playing their position the way they were suppose to. Bo's fault for guys not being prepared and not having the right technique, but let's not jump the gun and say its fixed or say where they will not be ranked.

The scheme. We will be running a similar version to Michigan State's scheme, which is hell bent on stopping the run first. Everything about the scheme makes it easier on the DL and LBs to stop the run. Bo's defenses were always built to defend the pass which didn't help much vs Wisconsin or Minnesota. We had 4 DL last year who will likely be drafted and we couldn't stop the run due to Bo's scheme and coaching. A change in coaching will make a world of difference here.

We won't have our DL standing straight up at the snap trying to read and choose a gap.

I'm not saying we'll have a top 5 run defense next year, but it will be much improved. It's the easiest improvement that can be made by the new staff imo.

Bo's match zone D (whatever you want to call it), had consistently had problems in the run game. As it showed in numerous games, and those who watch the game with a keen eye know that we never switched coverages. It always came down to one guy being in the right hole. If that guy wasn't in the right hole, or misses his tackle, the RB is gone.

This is a pretty good article that talks about Bo Pelinis defense, a lot on pass coverage:

http://breakdownsports.blogspot.com/2014/07/inside-playbook-nebraska-single-high-defense-cover-1.html

http://brophyfootball.blogspot.com/search/label/Bo%20Pelini

Im no fan of Bos Run defense, but it isnt true that he didnt switch up coverages much. He did.

It may have appeared to be a 2 high look, but often times wasnt, thats one of the reason it was so effective against the pass that is. Lots of ideas he took from the NFL

"Pelini's 4-3 over defense is much different than the Michigan State version I discussed previously however. If there's a coverage to run, Pelini will run it. From cover 2, to cover 3, to cover 4, to under 7 (basically a cover 6), to man under, to cover 1. Yes, he runs a ton of coverages on the back end, and this makes it difficult for defenses to run pass concepts to take advantage of certain things. But it also sometimes leaves to busts in his secondary"

While the article references Matt Brophys earlier article, he extraploates a bit AND Bo had a cover 0 call too, per Matt Brophys article

Matt knows his stuff- Quad Cities HS coach, who spent a bunch of time watching Bo in practice/games in his new home of Louisiana

Bo holds everything he does on D close to the vest, anything he does at a clinic is tech, not scheme. These guys and of course Damon Benning are spot on what Bo really does on Defense

I agree with the toss up games of BYU, U, Wiscy, Minny, and Sparta. I figure we win at least 2 of those, which gives us the 'happy camper' 9 win baseline we've all come to know and 'love'(accept). If we can't beat jNU and IA on a regular basis by now, well, what's the point of being 'Nebraska'--that's the way I see it anyway.

I don't see any game on the schedule that is 'unwinnable'--and that includes Sparta.

I agree with the toss up games of BYU, U, Wiscy, Minny, and Sparta. I figure we win at least 2 of those, which gives us the 'happy camper' 9 win baseline we've all come to know and 'love'(accept). If we can't beat jNU and IA on a regular basis by now, well, what's the point of being 'Nebraska'--that's the way I see it anyway.

I don't see any game on the schedule that is 'unwinnable'--and that includes Sparta.

There is never a game that is unwinnable. That's why I love sports.

There is never a game that is unwinnable. That's why I love sports.

I see a lot of challenges this year, but I wouldn't call one of them unwinnable.

Wait so the SAU game isn't a "gimme" yet Vegas line will favor us. However, us v. Wisconsin is a "gimme" for them because Vegas will favor Wisconsin. Your reasoning seems a bit flawed. Please, don't answer this by telling me how much "experience" you have as I am not questioning that. Also, in anticipating your response, I would say that McNeese St. game is a bit of an abnormality since typically handle lowly D1 programs (also note you can't say one way or the other that we would have won or we would have loss "but-for" Ameer because game was tied when he made that play)

• Fire 1