Armstrong Working with Favre (again)

Tommy's best game -- which would have been a good day for any quarterback -- was the uptempo and deliberate game Beck called against USC in the Holiday Bowl, having been liberated from Bo Pelini's rhythm killing sideline play calling and lack of faith in the offense. One interception, no fumbles, few penalties and 30 more offensive plays than average. And a neat little two point conversation executed swiftly and precisely before USC knew what hit them.

That was the last game we saw Tommy Armstrong play, and it came after four weeks of chaos on the Nebraska football team.

So I'm gonna stay optimistic that the difference between Good Tommy and Bad Tommy isn't that far off, and the template is already in place.

You make a good point. We agree. I think deliberate was exactly the word that could have summed up what I was trying to say. I gotta go back and re-watch that USC game and just look for all the differences, but there was a flow we hadn't seen before.

We need to be more deliberate and I think that's exactly what we'll be.

That's the Tommy we need, and if he plays anything like that in a huddling, time consuming offense that converts third downs and puts together long drives - we have very legitimate chances for competing for this division and the Conference.

Eliminate the reads that TA has to make. Ie have 2-3 distinct routes and a RB as the outlet. No receiver reads, no QB reads.

If TA would even look right and throw left he would decrease his INT rate. Safeties now have 2 yrs of game film with TA looking down receivers. If he looked the safeties off, he would have zero coverage on a receiver. They would jump the route immediately. (DB's in general)

Have TA simply pump. Again, the safeties would jump the route leaving no coverage or one on one with no safety help.

Really exam what TA can and can't do. Those short out routes or crossing in the middle were terrifying to watch. If he can't routinely make 70-75% in practice. Can it.

TA needs to make simple adjustments to improve. No mechanical over hauls (too late IMO), no audible routes based upon receiver/qb reads and no more than 2-3 total routes. Ie send 4, but on,y 2-3 are even an option. Cut down on his decision making by limiting the available routes to receive balls.

Lastly, more PA passing. D bites on the run leaving single coverage and a pre established route or 2.

Simple enough, and good for at least one more win....

Play action fakes.

Absolutely.

They work especially well when your offense is a genuine threat to run the ball. No idea why we've gone away from them.

Scott Frost wasn't necessarily my favorite Husker QB, but nobody sold a play-action pass better. There's a real art to it, and it buys you the two yards of separation needed to make a safe completion.

I'll give Tommy some credit. He seems to really be trying to learn this game even more. The fact that he's working with Favre doesn't really matter to me but the fact that he seems to be trying to be more of a student of the game does. If these coaches can clean up his game some (he must make better decisions in his passing game) and play to his strengths that would be a major accomplishment right there.

They work especially well when your offense is a genuine threat to run the ball. No idea why we've gone away from them.

Had we gone away from them or did they just look different from a "traditional" offense? Obviously a traditional play action involves the QB coming away from center and faking to the RB. But since we were rarely under center, that wasn't a fit for us. But it seems like we'd fake the zone read pretty regularly and throw off of that. Possibly not quite as deceptive as a fake from under center but considering that was our base run play it makes sense.

Had we gone away from them or did they just look different from a "traditional" offense? Obviously a traditional play action involves the QB coming away from center and faking to the RB. But since we were rarely under center, that wasn't a fit for us. But it seems like we'd fake the zone read pretty regularly and throw off of that. Possibly not quite as deceptive as a fake from under center but considering that was our base run play it makes sense.

Yeah, I thought about that. It just doesn't appear to me that the horizontal rollout gets the same initial bite from linebackers and DBs as the dropback play-action. And I don't think Armstrong and Martinez did nearly enough of the roll-out drop back that worked so well in our Triple Option days, nor did they really try to sell their play-action fakes, it was just kinda robotic.

The play-action into the middle of the line also leaves the QB standing flat-footed seven steps back with more time to let the routes develop.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...