Nebraska repeals Death Penalty

The death penalty will get reinstated is because of who votes - older Nebraskans and rural Nebraskans. The younger generation is relatively opposed to the death penalty, at least in my experiences, but they don't vote.

I noticed many "liberal" senators claiming their constituents were opposed to DP, and many of them came from more "liberal" parts of the state i.e. Omaha and Lincoln.

Meh....I live in rural western Nebraska. Sure, I know some people that think it's stupid it was repealed but I also know a lot who are glad it's gone or don't care either way. I was listening to a conversation in my office just yesterday and the younger people seemed to be more in favor of the death penalty than older people.

You could be falling into some stereotypes in your post. Problem is, I think the politicians in Lincoln are doing the same thing. I'm not big on writing letters to politicians but, in this case, maybe I need to write a few.

The stereotypes are in part why the death penalty may have a chance to come back. Different unofficial poll results have shown Nebraskans want to keep the death penalty by a majority of anywhere from 60-to-70 percent.

If this debate gets put on the ballot, I think the best way for the death penalty to stay away is if more of the younger generation votes and if these unofficial poll results are inaccurate. If they are accurate, and the younger generation stays away from the polls, then I think there's a shot for this thing to come back.

If the poll results are accurate, it does have a chance to come back. Small...but does have a chance.

My point about stereotypes is that I don't think if the politicians key on this stereotype, they may be missing the boat. A lot of young people are still for the death penalty and a lot of rural people are against it. It's not as cut and dry as the stereotype makes people think it is.

You're probably right, to a degree. Perception and reality don't always equal. I'm basing my statements off Pew Research Center results released in April of this year. People under the age of 30, across the country, are one of the biggest groups of people to have pulled their support of the death penalty from 2011-2015, down eight percent. They also have the lowest overall percentage support of the death penalty, Pew research saying 51 percent support it over 43 percent who are against it. People between the ages of 50-64 have the highest current support percentage of 61 percent.

Granted, this was a national poll and not focused on Nebraskans, but they weighed several different variables like race, party affiliation, religion, age, etc. But, it at least gives us a sense of the national trend.

Nebraska is the last state to follow any "national trends". Not only that, but I believe Nebraska voter turnout is horrible. Especially amongst young people. This state is populated by older folks with old fashioned ideas anyways, but that fact becomes really clear when you look at the political representatives elected by this state.

So if what you say is true that 61% of 50-64 year olds support the death penalty, I'd say this state has a real chance at the voters overturning this since this state is full of this age group, and they make up most of the voters in this state.

The death penalty will get reinstated is because of who votes - older Nebraskans and rural Nebraskans. The younger generation is relatively opposed to the death penalty, at least in my experiences, but they don't vote.

I noticed many "liberal" senators claiming their constituents were opposed to DP, and many of them came from more "liberal" parts of the state i.e. Omaha and Lincoln.

Meh....I live in rural western Nebraska. Sure, I know some people that think it's stupid it was repealed but I also know a lot who are glad it's gone or don't care either way. I was listening to a conversation in my office just yesterday and the younger people seemed to be more in favor of the death penalty than older people.

You could be falling into some stereotypes in your post. Problem is, I think the politicians in Lincoln are doing the same thing. I'm not big on writing letters to politicians but, in this case, maybe I need to write a few.

The stereotypes are in part why the death penalty may have a chance to come back. Different unofficial poll results have shown Nebraskans want to keep the death penalty by a majority of anywhere from 60-to-70 percent.

If this debate gets put on the ballot, I think the best way for the death penalty to stay away is if more of the younger generation votes and if these unofficial poll results are inaccurate. If they are accurate, and the younger generation stays away from the polls, then I think there's a shot for this thing to come back.

If the poll results are accurate, it does have a chance to come back. Small...but does have a chance.

My point about stereotypes is that I don't think if the politicians key on this stereotype, they may be missing the boat. A lot of young people are still for the death penalty and a lot of rural people are against it. It's not as cut and dry as the stereotype makes people think it is.

You're probably right, to a degree. Perception and reality don't always equal. I'm basing my statements off Pew Research Center results released in April of this year. People under the age of 30, across the country, are one of the biggest groups of people to have pulled their support of the death penalty from 2011-2015, down eight percent. They also have the lowest overall percentage support of the death penalty, Pew research saying 51 percent support it over 43 percent who are against it. People between the ages of 50-64 have the highest current support percentage of 61 percent.

Granted, this was a national poll and not focused on Nebraskans, but they weighed several different variables like race, party affiliation, religion, age, etc. But, it at least gives us a sense of the national trend.

Nebraska is the last state to follow any "national trends". Not only that, but I believe Nebraska voter turnout is horrible. Especially amongst young people. This state is populated by older folks with old fashioned ideas anyways, but that fact becomes really clear when you look at the political representatives elected by this state.

So if what you say is true that 61% of 50-64 year olds support the death penalty, I'd say this state has a real chance at the voters overturning this since this state is full of this age group, and they make up most of the voters in this state.

Agreed. I talked about that a few posts up - unofficial polls in the state suggest anywhere between 60-to-70 percent of registered voters in Nebraska support the death penalty.

If you have to try to make your point by making childish insults...meh....not worth my time.

I love John Oliver. I think he is entirely capable of making the points without the insults, but the point of them is to make the points attractive to people who otherwise don't care. That's the entire point of his show - trying to present things that matter to people in a way that is palatable enough to the average person that they realize they should care about it.

• Fire 1

That's kind of the format of these shows. I agree that it can be really hit or miss, but usually, when I agree that it's an important point, it's at least sort of a hit for me.

I'm not a fan of the swearing. I like the CC format better where they have to bleep it out -- it actually makes it more emphatic as a viewer.

If you have to try to make your point by making childish insults...meh....not worth my time.

I love John Oliver. I think he is entirely capable of making the points without the insults, but the point of them is to make the points attractive to people who otherwise don't care. That's the entire point of his show - trying to present things that matter to people in a way that is palatable enough to the average person that they realize they should care about it.

So, you're saying that to make people in this country interested in a topic, there has to be personal insults, swearing...basically making the other person look like a total idiot and worthless piece of crap...then...and only then....people will care enough to listen.

Yep, that's pretty much my point about American politics.

BTW...did you hear that Obama is a f***ing Muslim who can't provide a valid American birth certificate and was purposely planted here decades ago by our enemies to rise to power and destroy everything we love about America? And BTW...his wife is an ugly bitch with a big ass.

What it usually is, is: "Here's a showcase of a guy we think is doing something really unbelievable. We're going to cover that issue in a way that shows our emphatic opposition to what he's doing. And we're going to do that by making fun of his face, because he looks an unpeeled hard boiled egg with teeth." ;)

It's *clearly* not what it takes for people to care about something, but it's a comedy show, not a professional discussion outlet. There's room for both.

Actually, I think it's a strength of America that we have these shows that, while they're just for unwinding, are being used to take people to task for insanity and express political opinions in an unfettered way. Of course, because of the necessity to have a comedy element in there all the time, it is sometimes hit or miss.

What it usually is, is: "Here's a showcase of a guy we think is doing something really unbelievable. We're going to cover that issue in a way that shows our emphatic opposition to what he's doing. And we're going to do that by making fun of his face, because he's an unpeeled hard boiled egg with teeth." ;)

And then the other side has their media outlet that does the same thing the other direction and no real debate by anyone is possible because everyone is just having fun throwing insults around and laughing about how stupid the other side looks.

No real debate by anyone is possible? C'mon, that's not even close to the case, right?

Again (see late edit above, sorry), I think this is a real strength of America. Look at all the outlets there are, and one thing becomes very clear. People *care*. People are extremely passionate about all of these issues and their expression of that passion runs the gamut.

John Oliver doesn't do this show in a vacuum. He does what he does because he's one politically minded funnyman in a rich sea of civic interest, passion, and discussion that is happening all over the place elsewhere in this country, from other publications to classrooms, to households to message boards.

I guess the question is, is he the same as some of these Fox guys or Rush Limbaughs of the world, but different side of the coin? I don't know. In some senses, yes, because they are both catering to media audiences. However, the reason I think most people (regardless of affiliation) give those guys much less respect is because it's clear what they are, as well as what kind of audience they cater to.

No real debate by anyone is possible? C'mon, that's not even close to the case, right?

Again (see late edit above, sorry), I think this is a real strength of America. Look at all the outlets there are, and one thing becomes very clear. People *care*. People are extremely passionate about all of these issues and their expression of that passion runs the gamut.

John Oliver doesn't do this show in a vacuum. He does what he does because he's one politically minded funnyman in a rich sea of civic interest, passion, and discussion that is happening all over the place elsewhere in this country, from other publications to classrooms, to households to message boards.

I guess the question is, is he the same as some of these Fox guys or Rush Limbaughs of the world, but different side of the coin? I don't know. In some senses, yes, because they are both catering to media audiences. However, the reason I think most people (regardless of affiliation) give those guys much less respect is because it's clear what they are, as well as what kind of audience they cater to.

Yes.

And...no, there isn't real debate in this country like it really should be. Yes, both sides are passionate about these issues. But, everyone is so busy yelling at each other or trying to make the other side look stupid that there really isn't any real debate.

Look at Presidential elections. How many BILLIONS of dollars are spent trashing and tearing down the other person.....and it has absolutely nothing to do with an actual issue. Why??? Because the pathetic voters in this country won't pay attention to anything but that. It works. That's why John Oliver is so successful and why candidates are so successful in this tactic.

PS....My opinion is no real debate happens when both sides think the other side is worthless and stupid. When both sides realize the other side has intelligent thought and have reasons for their views....even though you don't agree with them....then and only then does real debate happen.

I don't think you can throw him into any category with company like a Limbaugh, personally.

I know it's convenient for guys like Oliver or Stewart to duck behind their, "Oh this is just comedy!" scapegoat when they're called on something, but at the same time, while these guys do it because they're comics, they also do it because they want the American people to be informed.

• Fire 2

I don't think you can throw him into any category with company like a Limbaugh, personally.

I know it's convenient for guys like Oliver or Stewart to duck behind their, "Oh this is just comedy!" scapegoat when they're called on something, but at the same time, while these guys do it because they're comics, they also do it because they want the American people to be informed to their line of thinking.

Really have to agree to disagree. I think Oliver and Stewart are reflective of a large (mostly young) group in this country that -- whether we agree personally with those guys or not -- do engage in real debate all the time.

Yeah, political theater is stupid. Politics, in many ways, is stupid. Hey, people, in large groups, are stupid! (This is also almost entirely the point of Oliver and Stewart's shows). If you're looking to that and drawing conclusions about the state of debate in this country, you're looking in the wrong place.

I know it's convenient for guys like Oliver or Stewart to duck behind their, "Oh this is just comedy!" scapegoat when they're called on something, but at the same time, while these guys do it because they're comics, they also do it because they want the American people to be informed to their line of thinking.

Come on, man.

If idiotic politicians like Ricketts didn't give guys like Oliver endless amounts of material that's easy to satirize, then they probably wouldn't focus on their antics as much.

I truly think guys like Stewart & Oliver rip on the right side so much because they do far more things that can be seen as "ridiculous" to your average joe.

• Fire 3

Come on, man.

If idiotic politicians like Ricketts didn't give guys like Oliver endless amounts of material that's easy to satirize, then they probably wouldn't focus on their antics as much.

I truly think guys like Stewart & Oliver rip on the right side so much because they do far more things that can be seen as "ridiculous" to your average joe.

Average Joe???

With 60-70% of Nebraskan's supporting the death penalty, I would argue that the "average Joe" in Nebraska would disagree with Oliver on this.

In Nebraska. Maybe. But maybe not even young Nebraskans.

I guess I wouldn't say average Joe, though. I would say young, educated, interested, and informed. That is their audience.

If you want to see an audience where you might find the Average Joe, or Joe the Plumber, I think you'd have to look to a different sort of show, or radio program (and these do fall on both sides of the political aisle, to be clear). Not to name any names :P