Nebraska repeals Death Penalty

Knowing that even a single innocent and wrongly convicted person has been put to death by the death penalty is enough to not want it, imo.

I am at a loss as to how anyone could argue against that.

Let's say 1 in a 100 is wrongly convicted and put to death. But the other 99 guilty murderers would have gone on to commit half a dozen more murders, had they not been executed. (Presumably killing other prisoners, since they'd be behind bars.) Does the one wrongly convicted guy's life outweigh the six dead guys that we'd have sans a death penalty?

====================

(I don't think this line of reasoning justifies the death penalty. You just asked if an argument could be made. :lol:)

It's difficult making an argument you really don't believe in.

If this 6 are convicted felons compared to one totally innocent one?????

Not even a question in my mind.

Read the letters from LP in prison. If I were him, death would be the easy way out and I don't feel sorry for the guys that got stabbed including his cell mate.

So awesome. I love watching anyone tear apart this piece of trash.

Un-peeled Hard Boiled Egg with teeth

Dollar Store Lex Luther.

I'm not against the death penalty either, I support it.

What I don't support is a Governor who demonstrates more effort and wields as much authority as he can in an effort to kill people, but would veto a law that would saves lives at the snap of a finger.

Then, to say that he refuses to approve a drug that could save lives because the drug that could do so is not approved by the FDA, then use state funds ($55,000) to try to import his death drug that IS NOT APPROVED FOR IMPORT BY THE FDA!

Dumbass.

Dollar Store Lex Luther.

What I don't support is a Governor who demonstrates more effort and wields as much authority as he can in an effort to kill people, but would veto a law that would saves lives at the snap of a finger.

Then, to say that he refuses to approve a drug that could save lives because the drug that could do so is not approved by the FDA, then use state funds ($55,000) to try to import his death drug that IS NOT APPROVED FOR IMPORT BY THE FDA!

Dumbass.

preeeeetty much

Let's say 1 in a 100 is wrongly convicted and put to death. But the other 99 guilty murderers would have gone on to commit half a dozen more murders, had they not been executed. (Presumably killing other prisoners, since they'd be behind bars.) Does the one wrongly convicted guy's life outweigh the six dead guys that we'd have sans a death penalty?

====================

(I don't think this line of reasoning justifies the death penalty. You just asked if an argument could be made. :lol:)

This is getting close to one of those philosophical conundrums. On the one hand, you can rescue a train full of people barreling towards their doom. On the other, you have to kick an innocent young child off a bridge in order to do it. That child will also grow up to win a Nobel Prize for bringing peace to the Middle East. But on the train is a scientist who will cure cancer. Do nothing, and the child survives, but the train crashes. What do you do? :lol:

====================

This is getting close to one of those philosophical conundrums. On the one hand, you can rescue a train full of people barreling towards their doom. On the other, you have to kick an innocent young child off a bridge in order to do it. That child will also grow up to win a Nobel Prize for bringing peace to the Middle East. But on the train is a scientist who will cure cancer. Do nothing, and the child survives, but the train crashes. What do you do? :lol:

My advice is to start drinking heavily.

:lol:

• Fire 1

Dollar Store Lex Luther.

Dumbass.

Thanks for reminding me why I don't watch that idiot.

Dollar Store Lex Luther.

Dumbass.

What do you mean?

Dollar Store Lex Luther.

Dumbass.

What do you mean?

If you have to try to make your point by making childish insults...meh....not worth my time.

The death penalty will get reinstated is because of who votes - older Nebraskans and rural Nebraskans. The younger generation is relatively opposed to the death penalty, at least in my experiences, but they don't vote.

I noticed many "liberal" senators claiming their constituents were opposed to DP, and many of them came from more "liberal" parts of the state i.e. Omaha and Lincoln.

Meh....I live in rural western Nebraska. Sure, I know some people that think it's stupid it was repealed but I also know a lot who are glad it's gone or don't care either way. I was listening to a conversation in my office just yesterday and the younger people seemed to be more in favor of the death penalty than older people.

You could be falling into some stereotypes in your post. Problem is, I think the politicians in Lincoln are doing the same thing. I'm not big on writing letters to politicians but, in this case, maybe I need to write a few.

The stereotypes are in part why the death penalty may have a chance to come back. Different unofficial poll results have shown Nebraskans want to keep the death penalty by a majority of anywhere from 60-to-70 percent.

If this debate gets put on the ballot, I think the best way for the death penalty to stay away is if more of the younger generation votes and if these unofficial poll results are inaccurate. If they are accurate, and the younger generation stays away from the polls, then I think there's a shot for this thing to come back.

The death penalty will get reinstated is because of who votes - older Nebraskans and rural Nebraskans. The younger generation is relatively opposed to the death penalty, at least in my experiences, but they don't vote.

I noticed many "liberal" senators claiming their constituents were opposed to DP, and many of them came from more "liberal" parts of the state i.e. Omaha and Lincoln.

Meh....I live in rural western Nebraska. Sure, I know some people that think it's stupid it was repealed but I also know a lot who are glad it's gone or don't care either way. I was listening to a conversation in my office just yesterday and the younger people seemed to be more in favor of the death penalty than older people.

You could be falling into some stereotypes in your post. Problem is, I think the politicians in Lincoln are doing the same thing. I'm not big on writing letters to politicians but, in this case, maybe I need to write a few.

The stereotypes are in part why the death penalty may have a chance to come back. Different unofficial poll results have shown Nebraskans want to keep the death penalty by a majority of anywhere from 60-to-70 percent.

If this debate gets put on the ballot, I think the best way for the death penalty to stay away is if more of the younger generation votes and if these unofficial poll results are inaccurate. If they are accurate, and the younger generation stays away from the polls, then I think there's a shot for this thing to come back.

If the poll results are accurate, it does have a chance to come back. Small...but does have a chance.

My point about stereotypes is that I don't think if the politicians key on this stereotype, they may be missing the boat. A lot of young people are still for the death penalty and a lot of rural people are against it. It's not as cut and dry as the stereotype makes people think it is.

Dollar Store Lex Luther.

Dumbass.

What do you mean?

If you have to try to make your point by making childish insults...meh....not worth my time.

You've got to see the irony in your last two comments don't you?

Personally, I can't say I care if you like the guy or not. I like the guy, a lot of people do, I'd say that's why he was popular on the Daily Show and is now the host of his own show on HBO.

HBO is specifcally for guys who want to use a little more language to make thier points.

I enjoy that aspect of it quite a bit really. I like the fact that there is less of filter. Still, your wrong, he doesn't have to use childish insults to make his point. His point would have been perfectly clear without insults, but it sure does make it more funny. Especialy for a guy like me who thinks Pete Ricketts is a piece of trash.

It's right up my alley to use insults to make my point.

• Fire 1

If the poll results are accurate, it does have a chance to come back. Small...but does have a chance.

My point about stereotypes is that I don't think if the politicians key on this stereotype, they may be missing the boat. A lot of young people are still for the death penalty and a lot of rural people are against it. It's not as cut and dry as the stereotype makes people think it is.

You're probably right, to a degree. Perception and reality don't always equal. I'm basing my statements off Pew Research Center results released in April of this year. People under the age of 30, across the country, are one of the biggest groups of people to have pulled their support of the death penalty from 2011-2015, down eight percent. They also have the lowest overall percentage support of the death penalty, Pew research saying 51 percent support it over 43 percent who are against it. People between the ages of 50-64 have the highest current support percentage of 61 percent.

Granted, this was a national poll and not focused on Nebraskans, but they weighed several different variables like race, party affiliation, religion, age, etc. But, it at least gives us a sense of the national trend.