Defensive Havoc Rate for all 128 Teams

College football's 10 best defenses at raisin' hell, led by Clemson

By Kevin Trahan  @k_trahan on May 28, 2015, 10:00a

The most exciting defenses to watch are the ones that specialize in raising hell. We have a statistic to tell us which teams are the best at this kind of specialization. It's appropriately named havoc rate, and just as it sounds, it determines how often a defense wreaks havoc on opposing offenses.

Havoc rate measures the percentage of plays that end in a tackle for loss (including sacks), forced fumble, or tipped/intercepted pass.

1. Clemson 0.232

2. TCU 0.216

<snip>

10. Mich. St. 0.201

<snip>

<snip>

41. Nebraska 0.170

LINK

Havoc stat. I LIKE it! I'm a bit surprised Sparty isn't a few notches higher. And I see Pelini's bend-don't-break D is well down the list at #41. Hard to say how aggressive Banker's defense will be. I'd love to see this Havoc stat for some of our great Blackshirt squads of the 90s. :lol:

• Fire 2

The most exciting defenses to watch are the ones that specialize in raising hell. We have a statistic to tell us which teams are the best at this kind of specialization. It's appropriately named havoc rate, and just as it sounds, it determines how often a defense wreaks havoc on opposing offenses.

Havoc rate measures the percentage of plays that end in a tackle for loss (including sacks), forced fumble, or tipped/intercepted pass.

1. Clemson 0.232

2. TCU 0.216

<snip>

10. Mich. St. 0.201

<snip>

<snip>41. Nebraska 0.170

LINK

Havoc stat. I LIKE it! I'm a bit surprised Sparty isn't a few notches higher. And I see Pelini's bend-don't-break D is well down the list at #41. Hard to say how aggressive Banker's defense will be. I'd love to see this Havoc stat for some of our great Blackshirt squads of the 90s. :lol:

I found it. It ranged from 0.9999999999 to 1.00 for those defenses.

But honestly, with the stats i'm sure it can be determined.

1. Clemson 0.232

2. TCU 0.216

<snip>

10. Mich. St. 0.201

<snip>

<snip>41. Nebraska 0.170

LINK

I found it. It ranged from 0.9999999999 to 1.00 for those defenses.

But honestly, with the stats i'm sure it can be determined.

Ha ha! Sure the havoc stat *could* be determined for those 90s teams. I was just hoping that SB Nation would go ahead and do the heavy lifting on it. Git R Done! :lol:

1. Clemson 0.232

2. TCU 0.216

<snip>

10. Mich. St. 0.201

<snip>

<snip>

41. Nebraska 0.170

LINK

#49 at Oregon St

1. Clemson 0.232

2. TCU 0.216

<snip>

10. Mich. St. 0.201

<snip>

<snip>

41. Nebraska 0.170

LINK

#49 at Oregon St

Yeah, I saw that. Not sure what it means though. Is Banker less aggressive than Pelini, or just didn't have the players last season?

Also, I realize that a higher Havoc stat doesn't solely translate into a better defense. For example, Louisiana Tech is #3 in Havoc, but had the #34 defense overall.

1. Clemson 0.232

2. TCU 0.216

<snip>

10. Mich. St. 0.201

<snip>

<snip>41. Nebraska 0.170

LINK

#49 at Oregon St

Yeah, I saw that. Not sure what it means though. Is Banker less aggressive than Pelini, or just didn't have the players last season?

Also, I realize that a higher Havoc stat doesn't solely translate into a better defense. For example, Louisiana Tech is #3 in Havoc, but had the #34 defense overall.

I would have to assume we move up at least ten spots. If Pelini sat at #41 with Nebraska's resources and Banker was #49 with Oregon State's resources....well I have to believe we will be more "havoc wreaking" moving forward.

It's clear to me that a stat like this doesn't matter.

To me, defense is about forcing turnovers anymore. Not containing and offense to 17 pts per game. Especially with some of the programs that don't have the luxury of NFL talent on defensive fronts.

Look at Oregon. They give up points, but they get their offense the ball back 3 times a game roughly. They have led the defense in TO margin or been near the top the last 6-7 years.

Also, this stat is skewed due to what teams play in what conference. More chances to have TFL's vs teams that run more.

It's clear to me that a stat like this doesn't matter.

To me, defense is about forcing turnovers anymore.

Then it would seem that this stat matters a LOT.

Yes and No. Like I said. If you look at what Oregon has done with TO margin, and they are still 40th. One spot ahead of NU. I put much more emphasis on forcing TO's than I do TFL's.

TFL's are great but in this day and age, they don't hold the same merit they once did. In my opinion of course.