2015 Season Excitement

I despised the past head coach, and would have been happy with Micky Mouse as a replacement, a giant improvement. We got what many consider one of the best hires we could have hoped for. I agree with this.

Just show me a team, not a supposed enemy on my sideline.

I am so glad I do not have to see that ahole, spitting, slobbering buffoon on our sideline, I can handle several losses. But those losses will be respectable is my guess. Coach Riley has a tough road to hoe, no question. But the 9 win wheels would most likely have come off badly this year anyway. I see the chance for more losses, but I also see the chance for the team to come together and play some real football.

• Fire 3

I feel like our QB situation is shakey at best and a couple key injuries on sefense could cripple us

The rest of the college football world thinks higher of Tommy than that. He's been far better than "shaky" so far in his career and I would expect a vast improvement here in his junior year with the new coaches. If Tommy goes down, then yes its very unclear, but that's no different than its been for quite awhile here now. Its pretty much that way everywhere. Its always a bad situation when you're starter goes down minus a few rare examples.

Defensively, if we lose a DE or a linebacker it could be a very bad situation. More guys getting more work in practice, better teaching, and a simplified scheme may at least help make that adjustment if needed. We were truly left with very little depth or experience at those positions. How or why a coach would ever let it get that bad at two key spots, I don't know, but there's a lot of things about Bo and his staff that were unexplainable.

Might night be that bad.

I know Sparty has been doing better lately, but in my heart, I will never accept a win over Sparty as a signature win.

You really should, imo. Last season the only two teams they lost to were the two teams playing in the national championship, both tough fought games. The season before, their only loss was to Notre Dame with several suspect pass interference penalties. 2012 they lost 5 games by a combined 13 points, and 2011 they finished 10th.

42-12 over 4 years with 4 bowl wins, a conference championship, another appearance, and tons of huge wins? They're the real deal right now.

I feel like our QB situation is shakey at best and a couple key injuries on sefense could cripple us

The rest of the college football world thinks higher of Tommy than that.

What makes you think so? I haven't seen it. Every list I've seen ranking the conference quarterbacks he's 5th or 6th or best.

And.......this means what exactly?

The rest of the college football world thinks higher of Tommy than that. He's been far better than "shaky" so far in his career and I would expect a vast improvement here in his junior year with the new coaches. If Tommy goes down, then yes its very unclear, but that's no different than its been for quite awhile here now. Its pretty much that way everywhere. Its always a bad situation when you're starter goes down minus a few rare examples.

Defensively, if we lose a DE or a linebacker it could be a very bad situation. More guys getting more work in practice, better teaching, and a simplified scheme may at least help make that adjustment if needed. We were truly left with very little depth or experience at those positions. How or why a coach would ever let it get that bad at two key spots, I don't know, but there's a lot of things about Bo and his staff that were unexplainable.

Might night be that bad.

I think Riley's staff did a damn great job recovering by getting (was it 6?) Linebackers in the class. Then when you look how talented those guys are, it does make you feel a little less worried.

We need Keels or Freedom to step up and provide some depth at DE though.

Might night be that bad.

I think Riley's staff did a damn great job recovering by getting (was it 6?) Linebackers in the class. Then when you look how talented those guys are, it does make you feel a little less worried.

We need Keels or Freedom to step up and provide some depth at DE though.

Yeah, I agree.

I say shakey because hist TD to INT ratio isn't great, nor is his completion percentage.

This is a guy that was playing in a system designed around him, now being plugged into a morr pro style system.

Either he will gain the tutelage he needed all along or the transition will bury him and see Darlington or another emerge above. The last thing I expect from TA is to post similar stats to last year.

The exciting thing is we have a coach with experience for the first time since Bob Devaney.

After him we got his protege that ended up working out pretty well after some serious patienve. After that we got TO's protege who just couldn't recruit among other things. After that we got a Pro coach who COULD recruit but had no clue what the college game was about. After that we got 7 years of 9-4 and some serious ups and downs.

We now have a guy who is beloved by the college football world and brings a wealth of experience. For no other reason the experience factor is enough tonbe excited. Finally it isn't a liability, it's a strength. And in todays world of quick turnaround demand experience will be huge.

I despised the past head coach, and would have been happy with Micky Mouse as a replacement, a giant improvement. We got what many consider one of the best hires we could have hoped for. I agree with this.Just show me a team, not a supposed enemy on my sideline.I am so glad I do not have to see that ahole, spitting, slobbering buffoon on our sideline, I can handle several losses. But those losses will be respectable is my guess. Coach Riley has a tough road to hoe, no question. But the 9 win wheels would most likely have come off badly this year anyway. I see the chance for more losses, but I also see the chance for the team to come together and play some real football.

Row to hoe.

You use a hoe to make rows in your garden or field back before equipment was invented.

You wouldn't hoe a road. One, it would take forever, even longer than a field depending on the size of the road. Two, roads are hard compacted surfaces meant for travel. If you took a hoe to it and broke it all to hell, loosened it all up and made it rough and susceptible to moisture, it would entirely defeat the purpose of a road.

Sorry, I continue to try to educate people on that. I see it all the time, it makes absolutely zero sense.

By the way, I agree with the rest if what you said. I am thrilled to not have to see that jackass on the sideline anymore.

I say shakey because hist TD to INT ratio isn't great, nor is his completion percentage.

This is a guy that was playing in a system designed around him, now being plugged into a morr pro style system.

Either he will gain the tutelage he needed all along or the transition will bury him and see Darlington or another emerge above. The last thing I expect from TA is to post similar stats to last year.

I guessmi try to look at it purely from Tommy's overall skill set. Just based purely on an evaluation of him and what he can do both physically and mentally. I like him as a leader, I think he's talented and I think he has a good grasp of the game.

When you look further than that, like his TD to interception ratio, completion percentage, etc...well then you are judging more than Tommy Armstrong. At that point you're judging his WR's, his offensive coordinator, the play calling, so on and so forth.

There are a lot of factors there in those numbers.

I've seen and heard multiple people praise Tommy's assets as a QB, he just needs that extra help now to take those steps forward in decision making and execution of the offense.

Let's hope thats exactly what we see happen this year.

As I sit here watching Michigan hosting Notre Dame under the lights in 2011 something occus to me. I am so excited for this season. And not just Nebraska, but college football in general. I mean I always am, but I'm watching a 4 year old game that doesn't have a stich of Husker red in it. What's different?

The difference is there is a reason to be excited this year. As Husker fans we had grown to know what we could expect year after year. The opportunities to jump ahead of the oack were always there, but to a degree we all knew what was coming.

Enter Mike Riley and a whole lot of enthusiasm and unknown. I like that. I like not knowing what is coming this year. That's what drew me to the sport in the first place. When you fall in a rut it is hard to get excited. We just had the first plyoff ever last year and the season was pretty blah for me because I knew none of the prestige was coming from Lincoln.

I know we aren't winning the playoff, or even a conference title this year more than likely. That is okay because there is reason to be excited again.

:wastedchuckleshuffle:koolaid2::corndance

I guessmi try to look at it purely from Tommy's overall skill set. Just based purely on an evaluation of him and what he can do both physically and mentally. I like him as a leader, I think he's talented and I think he has a good grasp of the game.

When you look further than that, like his TD to interception ratio, completion percentage, etc...well then you are judging more than Tommy Armstrong. At that point you're judging his WR's, his offensive coordinator, the play calling, so on and so forth.

I've seen and heard multiple people praise Tommy's assets as a QB, he just needs that extra help now to take those steps forward in decision making and execution of the offense.

I would say his WR corp is hardly the problem. He will have a good one this year too. The Beck factor did him no favors. His leadership and athletecism will do him wonders moving forward.

But I still completely expect a huge improvement from last season or a big regress.

I feel like our QB situation is shakey at best and a couple key injuries on defense could cripple us.

And still I actually am looking forward to the season more than last year. As a fan last year felt like it was a wash even going in. I had plenty of optimism, but we knew what was at stake and we were handed more of the same.

So it feels like the past 4 years then?

I feel like our QB situation is shakey at best and a couple key injuries on defense could cripple us.

And still I actually am looking forward to the season more than last year. As a fan last year felt like it was a wash even going in. I had plenty of optimism, but we knew what was at stake and we were handed more of the same.

So it feels like the past 4 years then?

Kind of, but this season I feel like there are new reasons to be optimistic. Is in the Bo camp even leading up til last year only had the same tired arguments for why the upcoming year would be the year we hot over the hump.

Yet by game 5 it would be clear where we ranked in the pecking order. With Riley we should be able to get back to a place where we as fans can be proud again and the rest of the cfb world doesn't look at us as a win.

I would say his WR corp is hardly the problem.

I didn't say they were. I love the WR's we've got in the program right now.

But if you're going to talk about a QB's number and production, then his WR's better be part of the conversation. You gotta remember there's a lot more to it than just catches or drops. There's a lot of communication going on. Are guys on the same page? Are they running the right routes? Timing and execution all are a factor. I don't think execution was always a strong point.

Another factor in Tommy's numbers is obviously the offensive line and their abilities. Obviously thats an area we are mall hoping for improvement in also.

It might sound like I'm laying the blame at everyone else's feet but I'm not. Tommy has things he's got to fix too. But all things told, I think things were made harder than they needed to be for him.

Tommy can probably handle the task at hand. But we should probably expect a lot more short pass plays than QB keep and run. That is probably something that would hurt him under the old regime. His teachers should be better and the execution should inprove.

Either way we are going to see a different type of TA this year.