Three Man Rush...Why?

Bowfin

I thought the idea was thoroughly discredited when Doug Flutie beat Miami. But, like Freddie Krueger, no matter how awful it ends, both reappear again and again in a sequel.

Why give a team all the time they want to set up the play as best as they can, and why not let Valentine, Collins, Gangwash, or McMullen have a chance to make a play?

Playing not to lose isn't the same as playing to win.

TRIVIA QUESTION: How many guys did Northwestern rush against Nebraska when they lost on a Hail Mary?

They trusted their players to make a play. It just didn't happen. BYU made the play.

Two things :1. we will learn from this

2. I don't like that prevent concept any more than anyone else, but this isn't the first time I've seen a team do it that way. That's how most teams do it. Its never an issue til it doesn't work out for your team.

but this isn't the first time I've seen a team do it that way. That's how most teams do it

Exactly, "most teams do it"...but why? It reminds me of a line from a sitcom: "That never works out for anybody...ever...but it just might work for us!"

This isn't specific for Nebraska. I see it time and again, sort of like every hitter in baseball always takes the 3-0 fastball down the middle of the pate because that's how it is always done by everybody else, no matter that is the fattest pitch he's going to see, or sitting a basketball player for foul trouble "because he might foul out...so because we need him we won't play him."

but this isn't the first time I've seen a team do it that way. That's how most teams do it

Exactly, "most teams do it"...but why? It reminds me of a line from a sitcom: "That never works out for anybody...ever...but it just might work for us!"

This isn't specific for Nebraska. I see it time and again, sort of like every hitter in baseball always takes the 3-0 fastball down the middle of the pate because that's how it is always done by everybody else, no matter that is the fattest pitch he's going to see, or sitting a basketball player for foul trouble "because he might foul out...so because we need him we won't play him."

The vast majority of Hail Mary's into the end zone fail, so, let's not pretend like the prevent defense never works out for anybody.

The problem schematically yesterday is that most of our defenders went behind the receiver. The biggest thing you DON'T want to have happen is let an offensive player get behind you, but, you also want to have some pressure in front of them to try and bat it down. We didn't really get that pressure in front of him.

Not sure if it was a communication error or people just got out of place on the play.

Regardless, I think people need to get over the Hail Mary. It's a fluke play and typically a miracle play. It's almost like people think losing by 10 would've been better than losing on a Hail Mary. We simply weren't good enough, over the course of the game, to win yesterday. Just like Northwestern wasn't good enough, over the course of the game, to win two years ago.

The ball barely made it to the goal line, and we let the QB throw from the LOS. If we apply some pressure and he throws from 5 yards deeper we win. I want to know what the other DBs were doing. Were they looking at a facebook post? No one other than Gerry even made a play on the ball.

Give BYU credit - they actually ran their play incredibly well. All the other defenders were running with men who had bunched up in the corner, and the guy who caught it started on the other side of the field, and intentionally came in late with the plan of getting in front of everyone else. It worked.