Why We Could Not Convert 3rd and Short Late in the Game

We really couldn't run the whole game. Not terribly surprising we couldn't convert running into the teeth of sellout run blitzing late in the 4th quarter.

Yeah, run defense is BYU's strength as well.

--------------------------------

It's probably not a great idea for fans to try to make broad generalizations about how the Huskers will play this year based on one game. Some of the gameplan was likely game specific to BYU. If we had been facing a weak run defense and a great pass defense, we might have run more. If we were playing a statue QB we probably would have used more pressure and less contain, etc.,.

Langs said the sweep on 3rd and3 to JT was a bad call. Ran to short side and BYU was ready. On QB sneak, Langs said that the no huddle was slowed as the ref took more time to set the ball allowing BYU to set. Other 3rd and 1, ran right into blitz. All this per Langs..... Perfect storm. What could go wrong did.

I think that we will see different play calling. I am sure we will have different results (less talented team allegedly) and won't be an honest reflection of our improvement, but will see something different than last week.

I'm definitely no offensive expert - far from it. But, I actually liked the play calls, for the most part, purely from a schematic perspective. You could say, yes, some of the were ill-timed or got blown up. But, some of that was just bad execution more than BYU making a good play. I was rewatching parts of the game last night and there were a few running plays where our backs just misread the hole. Our line's inconsistency also played a role on some other miscues.

Langs also knows how to design a damn good screen play. TA needs to settle down on them a bit more and I think, at times, they need to develop a bit quicker. But man some of them would've been brilliant had we just connected on the throw.

I loved this play. Loved the call, love how the play develops, and Foster set it up nicely.

You're absolutely right - great play design. One of the other cool parts about that play is Hovey. If you watch the top down view, Hovey draws four defenders to the middle and back part of the field, leaving Foster's delayed route wide open.

Riley said 10 of the 12 penalties were correctable. Unsure of the 2, but the 12 cost us 90 yards.

Riley said the two penalties that aren't necessarily correctable are "Pass Interference" and "Holding," presumably because when those are called it's sorta subjective. But he said they would go over those again with the players anyway.

Thanks! Makes sense.

Langs said the sweep on 3rd and3 to JT was a bad call. Ran to short side and BYU was ready. On QB sneak, Langs said that the no huddle was slowed as the ref took more time to set the ball allowing BYU to set. Other 3rd and 1, ran right into blitz. All this per Langs..... Perfect storm. What could go wrong did.

I think that we will see different play calling. I am sure we will have different results (less talented team allegedly) and won't be an honest reflection of our improvement, but will see something different than last week.

I'm definitely no offensive expert - far from it. But, I actually liked the play calls, for the most part, purely from a schematic perspective. You could say, yes, some of the were ill-timed or got blown up. But, some of that was just bad execution more than BYU making a good play. I was rewatching parts of the game last night and there were a few running plays where our backs just misread the hole. Our line's inconsistency also played a role on some other miscues.

Langs also knows how to design a damn good screen play. TA needs to settle down on them a bit more and I think, at times, they need to develop a bit quicker. But man some of them would've been brilliant had we just connected on the throw.

I loved this play. Loved the call, love how the play develops, and Foster set it up nicely.

You're absolutely right - great play design. One of the other cool parts about that play is Hovey. If you watch the top down view, Hovey draws four defenders to the middle and back part of the field, leaving Foster's delayed route wide open.

Good stuff. With all the injuries, is Foster good for next week?

That pass interference call on Davie was pretty ticky tacky nonsense to me. Davie did get his hands on the guys jersey in the endzone, but he didn't hold him up or impede him at all. It put BYU on the one yard line where they scored on the next play. That capped that 99 yard drive by BYU I think.

BYU was flagged for a number of illegal formation penalties, just as Nebraska was. Some crews will be more lenient with guys lining up within a yard of the LOS, while Saturday's crew seemed to be a stickler for the rules.

Saw someone else say this which is probably true to some extent. But it's easily avoidable if you simply check with the ref to get his OK if you're supposed to be the end guy on the line.

BYU was flagged for a number of illegal formation penalties, just as Nebraska was. Some crews will be more lenient with guys lining up within a yard of the LOS, while Saturday's crew seemed to be a stickler for the rules.

Saw someone else say this which is probably true to some extent. But it's easily avoidable if you simply check with the ref to get his OK if you're supposed to be the end guy on the line.

Yes, but many times they could be calling it on a o-lineman or a slot receiver. They aren't next to a referee to check with one.

Yes, but many times they could be calling it on a o-lineman or a slot receiver. They aren't next to a referee to check with one.

OLineman is a possibility. But even the slot receiver can still check with the ref. For that matter an OLineman could too but that never happens.