O-Line Rotation

DomiNUs

Turns out I was wrong about offensive linemen being subbed in and out. It's actually fairly common to play the same guys the whole game.

So, I asked myself where I got this idea of subbing the o-line? I guess I thought, incorrectly, that it was just something that happened throughout the game.

However, certain teams do sub their o-line, and it is getting more and more common in today's game. They are usually teams where the o-line does a lot of work, say an option team like Georgia Tech. Also, teams that have a conundrum and there is no difference between the ones and twos sub out as well, pre-Riley Nebraska, and Wyoming under Bohl fall into this category. Michigan St. is another team that subs the o-line regularly, to keep their guys fresh.

I couldn't find anything conclusive on whether we regularly subbed out the o-line while we were a dominant team. I seem to remember we did sub regularly, but I could be wrong.

With this team, should we sub the o-line regularly? I think it really showed late in the game when we couldn't pick up a few of those short yardage situations how fatigued our line was.

Subbing the o-line is not going to happen according to Cav (both from direct quotes and history). It was really interesting when he first got here how he talked so much about having 8-10 guys who could all play for the first time in his coaching career. That gave the illusion, at least to me, the whole offseason that he was going to have a two-line rotation, but when fall camp began, he made it clear, he was looking for five guys and he did not want to sub or rotate.

Subbing the o-line is not going to happen according to Cav (both from direct quotes and history). It was really interesting when he first got here how he talked so much about having 8-10 guys who could all play for the first time in his coaching career. That gave the illusion, at least to me, the whole offseason that he was going to have a two-line rotation, but when fall camp began, he made it clear, he was looking for five guys and he did not want to sub or rotate.

I remember that as well, which led me to believe we would be subbing a lot.

In my opinion, only a fool does not sub his lineman.

1) You need experienced lineman to fill holes caused by the injuries and sickness that will happen during the season.

2) There is no lineman development better than game experience against first string opponents at full speed.

3) You need fresh lineman during those games where any combinatiion of heat or exhaustion may limit their giving 100% on every play on a long drive or a hurry up offense.

4) You need experienced lineman to take into the next year after the seniors are gone.

5) The morale of the second and third strings will be better through the week if they know they will play and get to show their skills.

6) Eventually one of the starters will face an opponent they cannot handle. One of the others may get the job done- quicker, faster, stronger or smarter.

• Fire 2

In my opinion, only a fool does not sub his lineman.

1) You need experienced lineman to fill holes caused by the injuries and sickness that will happen during the season.

2) There is no lineman development better than game experience against first string opponents at full speed.

3) You need fresh lineman during those games where any combinatiion of heat or exhaustion may limit their giving 100% on every play on a long drive or a hurry up offense.

4) You need experienced lineman to take into the next year after the seniors are gone.

5) The morale of the second and third strings will be better through the week if they know they will play and get to show their skills.

6) Eventually one of the starters will face an opponent they cannot handle. One of the others may get the job done- quicker, faster, stronger or smarter.

This is what my line of thinking is. Valid points, all of them. I still can't believe they played the whole game without coming out once, especially with how hot it was.

Coach Cavanaugh regularly hangs out with Milt Tenopir so I suspect if Cav is not subbing O-linemen right now it's an idea he's discussed with Milt. My guess is we had linemen not practicing with the right attitude because they knew they would get in to play anyway. I like that players have a clear line in the sand: be one of the best five or don't play. It's similar to the Blackshirts: earn a starting role or don't get a blackshirt. It's about setting clear expectations.

Coach Cavanaugh regularly hangs out with Milt Tenopir so I suspect if Cav is not subbing O-linemen right now it's an idea he's discussed with Milt. My guess is we had linemen not practicing with the right attitude because they knew they would get in to play anyway. I like that players have a clear line in the sand: be one of the best five or don't play. It's similar to the Blackshirts: earn a starting role or don't get a blackshirt. It's about setting clear expectations.

Good points regarding expectations. Set the bar high. Meet it and play or don't and sit......

My opinion is that unless its going to be a significant drop off in talent and ability, you should sub.

I can't imagine that Utter and Kondolo are that much better than Jerald Foster. Why isn't Farmer getting time? Is he just not getting scheme?

Utter got absolutely owned almost every play. Need to sub in otherwise we'll be in the same spot every year. Practice only goes so far. The guys need game experience.