Do we lack a home run threat?

lo country

Watching the game, the announcers continually talk about how our drives were solid, but they came in short runs or passes and were not ripping off huge yards. Continued to wonder if it was by design or the lack of deep threat guys. Never really thought about it until they harped on it. They said we appear to be predicated on the RB getting some blocks or the receivers getting some other guys blocking down field.

IMO, it appeared to be by design. I think TA has the arm to crank one deep and receivers in Moore, Morgan and Reilly who have the speed to go deep. Newby flashed some stuff that shows he could take it to the house. I think we have the players and play calling, but haven't shown in yet.

Thoughts?

• Fire 1

NO! NO! NO! NO!

I was telling the announcer, through my television screen, to just shut the hell up.

Anybody watching Nebraska the last few years knows that we have lived off the threat of the home run. We've done nothing the last three years but feed the rock to Ameer, and then "scare" everybody with the deep ball, just to back them off so we could feed it to Ameer some more.

To hell with living like that.

If there's on thing, as a Husker fan, I've wanted to see the last few years, more than anything in the world, it was Nebraska stringing together long drives. Multiple plays, time chewing, successful marches down the field. Not a chance in hell I'll have some dumbass announcer tell me that stringing together long drives is a bad thing.

I realize this is So. Alabama, but if we can string these kind of drives together, take some pressure off our defense, then we are going to find the promised land.

Seriously, to hell with what that announcer was saying. It was one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. You don't EVER complain about an offense that strings together drives. When we want to hit the home run, we will. Alonzo Moore, Jordan Westerkamp, Brandon Reilly, and Tommy Armstrong will make sure of that.

• Fire 8

NO! NO! NO! NO!

I was telling the announcer, through my television screen, to just shut the hell up.

Anybody watching Nebraska the last few years knows that we have lived off the threat of the home run. We've done nothing the last three years but feed the rock to Ameer, and then "scare" everybody with the deep ball, just to back them off so we could feed it to Ameer some more.

If there's on thing, as a Husker fan, I've wanted to see the last few years, more than anything in the world, it was Nebraska stringing together long drives. Multiple plays, time chewing, successful marches down the field. Not a chance in hell I'll have some dumbass announcer tell me that stringing together long drives is a bad thing.

I realize this is So. Alabama, but if we can string these kind of drives together, take some pressure off our defense, then we are going to find the promised land.

Seriously, to hell with what that announcer was saying. It was one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. You don't EVER complain about an offense that strings together drives. When we want to hit the home run, we will. Alonzo Moore, Jordan Westerkamp, Brandon Reilly, and Tommy Armstrong will make sure of that.

You hit the nail on the head. With Beck, we were big or bust. No in between. Personally, I prefer a grinding drive that eats clock and keeps their O off the field.

Agree with the other posters. I think it was by design as we could go yard if needed, but the approach was working.

I would also like to think that Riley and his experience maybe actually use games like this to experiment a little to see what works and doesn't in real games. Something I would never credit the previous staff with.

NO! NO! NO! NO!

You hit the nail on the head. With Beck, we were big or bust. No in between. Personally, I prefer a grinding drive that eats clock and keeps their O off the field.

Agree with the other posters. I think it was by design as we could go yard if needed, but the approach was working.

I would also like to think that Riley and his experience maybe actually use games like this to experiment a little to see what works and doesn't in real games. Something I would never credit the previous staff with.

It was nice to see this coaching staff stick with what's working and not go away with it it on some dumb bone head play.

• Fire 2

NO! NO! NO! NO!

It was nice to see this coaching staff stick with what's working and not go away with it it on some dumb bone head play.

You're both spot on. We are in good hands guys. I truly believe that.

I think it's by design. But it's steadier and I like it. Don't live and die by the big play. Also might be the types of receivers at the top of the depth chart -- might have been a different picture if Kenny were still here.

or DPE for that matter

Yes, possibly -- but is he a deep threat? i was thinking if DPE were here he'd get a lot of jet sweep and quick screen action.

If you don't think we need a home run threat, you are freaking crazy. Yes, Beck was "boom or bust", but the best offenses, year in and year out are ones that can produce big plays. If you have to take 10-12 plays to move down the field and score, that is more plays to "screw up" and not score. Stop acting like we don't want "big plays".

Obviously big plays are great. But if our turnover margin improves, we won't need to rely on them as much as we did in the past. Ideally we want homerun threat(s) + good turnover margin. We haven't had both in a long, long time.

NO! NO! NO! NO!

Agreed it was nice to see, but its a bit easier to string drives together on South Alabama. At some point Tommy is gonna have to find a deep ball receiver to hook up with now that Kenny is gone. That said, DPE is obviously that dude and he's on the bench...so we will just have to wait.