Where's Wilbon? Here's where...

knapplc

Fun fact?

Last year Seattle gave the ball to Marshawn Lynch at the opponent's one yard line five different times, and he only scored one touchdown.

This year, determined not to repeat the second-guessing from the Super Bowl, Pete Carroll called for Marshawn Lynch up the middle on a 4th and inches with the game on the line against the Chiefs.

It didn't pan out so hot then, either.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000429119/Marshawn-Lynch-stuffed-on-fourth-and-one

• Fire 1

Including the coach TheSker wishes Nebraska had hired.

Well....ya know......I hear all this "information" about how Mike Riley won a ball game or two at Oregon State......where they'd won about two football games the previous million years. Then I look at TCUs history.....and I think.....wow.....now that's an accomplishment. I also think Kill has done well at Minnesota and other previous stops. I like what Mora has done....etc etc. So yes, I think there were several better candidates.

But hey.....at least our pass defense ranks last.

Well....ya know......I hear all this "information" about how Mike Riley won a ball game or two at Oregon State......where they'd won about two football games the previous million years. Then I look at TCUs history.....and I think.....wow.....now that's an accomplishment. I also think Kill has done well at Minnesota and other previous stops. I like what Mora has done....etc etc. So yes, I think there were several better candidates.

The assumption that every potential candidate was available and willing to come to the University of Nebraska is a bit of a problem. You gotta land some coaches before they're entrenched and expensive.

I like Kill, too. But he's a .543 head coach, with a .509 record at Minnesota and an 0-5 bowl record, so he's not gonna make your cut.

Mora is doing good things now, with one of the richest talent pipelines in all of college football, but his prior head coaching credential was a .485 stint in the NFL, so he's not gonna make your cut.

Everyone appreciates Garry Patterson now, but prior to TCU the totality of his head coaching experience was with the Oregon State Lightning Bolts of the Professional Spring Football League. And only a fool would hire a coordinator or position coach after our last experience. And when TCU joined the Big 12, suddenly Patterson's record dropped to 7-6, and the next year to 4 - 8. Clear proof that he wasn't ready for big boy football.

See how easy this isn't?

• Fire 3

That's radical cherry picking. 3 examples and how many CCG's? TCU has a half (I guess not sure). And recruiting ground around UCLA and TCU is roughly the BEST IN AMERICA. Your posts stink. No idea why you aren't banned for trolling.

The assumption that every potential candidate was available and willing to come to the University of Nebraska is a bit of a problem. You gotta land some coaches before they're entrenched and expensive.

I like Kill, too. But he's a .543 head coach, with a .509 record at Minnesota and an 0-5 bowl record, so he's not gonna make your cut.

Mora is doing good things now, with one of the richest talent pipelines in all of college football, but his prior head coaching credential was a .485 stint in the NFL, so he's not gonna make your cut.

Everyone appreciates Garry Patterson now, but prior to TCU the totality of his head coaching experience was with the Oregon State Lightning Bolts of the Professional Spring Football League. And only a fool would hire a coordinator or position coach after our last experience. And when TCU joined the Big 12, suddenly Patterson's record dropped to 7-6, and the next year to 4 - 8. Clear proof that he wasn't ready for big boy football.

See how easy this isn't?

I don't care about NFL experience. Not even in Riley's case.....though that was bad.

Regarding Patterson.....if only Riley had one losing season. If only.

Good for Mora on the recruiting area. That's ol' Urb's M.O. also.

Though I completely agree with your first line. And it's not an assumption I hold. I know better.

That's radical cherry picking. 3 examples and how many CCG's? TCU has a half (I guess not sure). And recruiting ground around UCLA and TCU is roughly the BEST IN AMERICA.

So if you're saying that Nebraska's resources, tradition and facilities are losing relevance as big time selling points to potential coaches......I agree.

This year, determined not to repeat the second-guessing from the Super Bowl, Pete Carroll called for Marshawn Lynch up the middle on a 4th and inches with the game on the line against the Chiefs.

It didn't pan out so hot then, either

Of course it didn't work! Not after Pete Carroll shattered Lynch's confidence and screwed him out a Super Bowl ring by calling for a pass last year! After that, I wouldn't be surprised if Marshawn doesn't have the energy or ambition to hold onto the ball when it's handed off to him, let alone trudge across the line of scrimmage! Now you can see we're talking about much more than a single first down or TD.

We are talking about the soul of the Nebraska Cornhuskers...the guys who made 4th and 8 an obvious running down in the Orange Bowl and hit paydirt...and then passed for a double extra point... :facepalm:

That's radical cherry picking. 3 examples and how many CCG's? TCU has a half (I guess not sure). And recruiting ground around UCLA and TCU is roughly the BEST IN AMERICA.

So if you're saying that Nebraska's resources, tradition and facilities are losing relevance as big time selling points to potential coaches......I agree.

You skipped the main point, about your grumpy and sometimes irrational views of football, but let's move on.

We hired Bob Devaney in 1962 from Wyoming. He named assistant coach Tom Osborne as his replacement with nary a hint of a coaching search. Frank Solich received the same treatment. That means that for the 40 years of Husker domination we like to remember, Nebraska never had to find out how attractive our head coaching position was to the rest of college football.

It turns out there are at least a dozen universities with an equally rich college football tradition, and a couple dozen more that have stepped up to be major competitors with deep pockets, pleasant weather and recruiting hotbeds. Nebraska may not be the first choice of the half-dozen elite coaching candidates in any given year. But our resources, tradition and facilities are definitely selling points. While you may not like the choice of Mike Riley, he gave up a comfortable job in his home town with his "most underrated coach" reputation in tact, precisely because he wanted to see what he could do with Nebraska's resources, tradition and facilities. Bo Pelini had to go, and 10 months ago, there weren't a lot of thrilling options, no matter how many names you like to throw against the wall.

It didn't pan out so hot then, either

Of course it didn't work! Not after Pete Carroll shattered Lynch's confidence and screwed him out a Super Bowl ring by calling for a pass last year! After that, I wouldn't be surprised if Marshawn doesn't have the energy or ambition to hold onto the ball when it's handed off to him, let alone trudge across the line of scrimmage! Now you can see we're talking about much more than a single first down or TD.

We are talking about the soul of the Nebraska Cornhuskers...the guys who made 4th and 8 an obvious running down in the Orange Bowl and hit paydirt...and then passed for a double extra point... :facepalm:

I give up.

It turns out there are at least a dozen universities with an equally rich college football tradition, and a couple dozen more that have stepped up to be major competitors with deep pockets, pleasant weather and recruiting hotbeds. Nebraska may not be the first choice of the half-dozen elite coaching candidates in any given year. But our resources, tradition and facilities are definitely selling points. While you may not like the choice of Mike Riley, he gave up a comfortable job in his home town with his "most underrated coach" reputation in tact, precisely because he wanted to see what he could do with Nebraska's resources, tradition and facilities. Bo Pelini had to go, and 10 months ago, there weren't a lot of thrilling options, no matter how many names you like to throw against the wall.

I don't care what Riley gave up.

What you say about the Nebraska job itself though, I agree with.

You know who else is on record as calling a pass play on 3rd and 1?

...and some guys have Marshawn Lynch in the backfield and pass on 2nd and goal from the 3 yard line...having a precedence doesn't make it right.

Down by four, second and goal from the one, with 26 seconds left and only one timeout -- it's a reasonable strategy that at least one of your remaining three plays is going to be a passing play. If you had two timeouts, you take three attempts at a run, but with only one time out, you take a shot at the end zone with a pass, assuming worse-case-scenario is the pass falls incomplete and the clock stops, giving you two attempts to run with your timeout as a buffer.

If you run on second down and they stop you, you call time out, 20 seconds remain. Run on third down and they stop you again, they lay on your guy long enough and game is over.

Passing on second was a perfectly reasonable call given the situation, and if Wilson had thrown it 4 inches to the right, it's touchdown/game over.