Press Conference - September 28th

Mavric

Coaches were prepared for the onside, new they had it in their arsenal. Defended the wrong way (kick went to the opposite side of usual) and just got beat on that one. Put hands team on the field after that.

"Really disappointed with the number of penalties." Highlights the compounding errors on the pass interference + unsportsmanlike on the reversed interception. "That's all ridiculous." Think he's talking both about the calls and the one mistake on top of the other.

GUSHING about Andy. "Told a pro scout today to just watch the Miami tape, all the special teams, you'll see a really good football player" (paraphrased).

LB Chris Weber with 12 tackles. In one game, against Southern Miss? Wait, what? Did I get this wrong, because that seems pretty noteworthy. Also, who is Chris Weber?

GUSHING about Andy. "Told a pro scout today to just watch the Miami tape, all the special teams, you'll see a really good football player" (paraphrased).

LB Chris Weber with 12 tackles. In one game, against Southern Miss? Wait, what? Did I get this wrong, because that seems pretty noteworthy. Also, who is Chris Weber?

chris_webber.jpg

:D

• Fire 4

Coaches were prepared for the onside, new they had it in their arsenal. Defended the wrong way (kick went to the opposite side of usual) and just got beat on that one. Put hands team on the field after that.

"Really disappointed with the number of penalties." Highlights the compounding errors on the pass interference + unsportsmanlike on the reversed interception. "That's all ridiculous." Think he's talking both about the calls and the one mistake on top of the other.

Let me get this straight, they knew the on side kick was coming but they didn't have the hands team on the field? What in the hell is read doing?

And I wouldn't expect the penalty problems to be solved. They didn't in Corvallis, wouldn't expect them to in Lincoln.

Didn't sound thrilled to have to put the hands team in so early either. I think it's typical, really. Normally you have a standard return team out there but you have them be watchful for a surprise onside (which it was). They got us with the call anyway by going the opposite way. Nobody really knows that the next call is going to be an onside or not, or which way.

You just try to prepare for it in case it does. Same thing with trick plays and a team that is known to run a lot of them. You prepare, but it still may go any which way and you do still have to play the normal game by default.

“One thing that disappointed me – that we’ve really got to work with our players, really work with them – is that when things are going south a little bit, don’t lose your minds on what you’re doing just on the base calls,” he said. “All of the sudden, people are trying to compensate for other things and not doing quite their job and there’s no trust that develops with what’s going on.

“It basically, and I won’t say this went all the way that way, but it looks like it’s falling apart. I watch the film and go ‘what are we doing here?’ We’ve got to coach to a point where the confidence, no matter what’s going on, will play within the principles of what we’re doing.”

I think this is most telling. I will contribute a lot of that back to the old staff, because that's something we have seen for a while now. Hopefully Riley and Co. can develop some mental toughness, and that will go a long way.

Equally concerning, though, is the lack of technique with our DBs and the passing scheme in general. Until we get more sound in that area, we're doomed to see much of the same that we've seen the past 4 weeks.

• Fire 2

One thing that disappointed me that weve really got to work with our players, really work with them is that when things are going south a little bit, dont lose your minds on what youre doing just on the base calls, he said. All of the sudden, people are trying to compensate for other things and not doing quite their job and theres no trust that develops with whats going on.

It basically, and I wont say this went all the way that way, but it looks like its falling apart. I watch the film and go what are we doing here? Weve got to coach to a point where the confidence, no matter whats going on, will play within the principles of what were doing.

I think this is most telling. I will contribute a lot of that back to the old staff, because that's something we have seen for a while now. Hopefully Riley and Co. can develop some mental toughness, and that will go a long way.

Equally concerning, though, is the lack of technique with our DBs and the passing scheme in general. Until we get more sound in that area, we're doomed to see much of the same that we've seen the past 4 weeks.

This mental stuff and "the dam breaking " when something goes wrong is all new. Just started happening when this staff got here. This was never something that happened when Pelini and his coaches were here. There was complete trust and the players always just focused on doing their jobs. I don't remember one single time any of this was ever talked about when Bo was HC here.

Riley needs to calm down and be a teacher on the sideline along with his coaches. Too much yelling, finger pointing and nostril flaring. No wonder these players lose composure! Look at how Riley freaks out on the sideline!

That's why I miss Bo. None of this was ever an issue before! Damnit all to hell.

• Fire 3

One thing that disappointed me that weve really got to work with our players, really work with them is that when things are going south a little bit, dont lose your minds on what youre doing just on the base calls, he said. All of the sudden, people are trying to compensate for other things and not doing quite their job and theres no trust that develops with whats going on.

It basically, and I wont say this went all the way that way, but it looks like its falling apart. I watch the film and go what are we doing here? Weve got to coach to a point where the confidence, no matter whats going on, will play within the principles of what were doing.

This mental stuff and "the dam breaking " when something goes wrong is all new. Just started happening when this staff got here. This was never something that happened when Pelini and his coaches were here. There was complete trust and the players always just focused on doing their jobs. I don't remember one single time any of this was ever talked about when Bo was HC here.

Riley needs to calm down and be a teacher on the sideline along with his coaches. Too much yelling, finger pointing and nostril flaring. No wonder these players lose composure! Look at how Riley freaks out on the sideline!

That's why I miss Bo. None of this was ever an issue before! Damnit all to hell.

Condescending BS aside, did this start during Bo's tenure? Does it happen at other programs?

Condescending BS aside, did this start during Bo's tenure? Does it happen at other programs?

It doesn't matter when it started and it doesn't matter if it happens elsewhere.

It happened during Pelini's time here at Nebraska and it shouldn't have at the extent that it did. Riley is trying to change that.

• Fire 1