Freedom v Gangwish

Banker said today that Carlos Davis has been working with the 1's and 2's for the last 2 weeks. If he proves he can be in the rotation on a regular basis, they will pull his redshirt.

That's encouraging as is the Gangwish/Freedom combo.

Getting more playing time for the youngsters will help in recruiting also. Best players play, need to upgrade, yada yada.

Guess this isn't a mystery to the coaches either.

https://twitter.com/HuskerExtraBC/status/648634942142869504

If we are so thin at DE why do we keep moving guys out of that position?

Who else have they moved out of DE?

It would make sense to try McMullen somewhere else as he hasn't been contributing much at the DE position. Maybe he'll do some good inside where we also have guys struggling to get to the QB. I don't think we have any depth to speak of at DL or DE, probably been quite the challenge.

Stoltenberg

Banker said the Southern Miss game was McMullen's best game so far.

It would make sense to try McMullen somewhere else as he hasn't been contributing much at the DE position. Maybe he'll do some good inside where we also have guys struggling to get to the QB. I don't think we have any depth to speak of at DL or DE, probably been quite the challenge.

Stoltenberg

Stoltenberg's future is at DT. It made sense to move him there in the spring.

On C.Davis: DT, or DE? If DT, is that just due to injury? This is what I expect it is (hence the "we want to be smart about it" comments). We have a number of guys in the DL rotation already and could preserve an extra year for Carlos. On the other hand, if we can shore up DE ...

On USM being the best game so far: It's good to be encouraging. Also telling they're talking about showing looks with McMullen out of the DE spot, though, and Gangwish & new blackshirt Freedom Akinmoladun instead.

Stoltenberg

Stoltenberg's future is at DT. It made sense to move him there in the spring.

I don't disagree. But then being thin at DE is basically self-imposed going forward.

I don't disagree. But then being thin at DE is basically self-imposed going forward.

Woah, pump the brakes there.

You deal with what you have. If you *inherit* players who probably belong at a different position, you have to move them. Sure, maybe the need is so pressing you sacrifice long term for short term, or vice versa, but that's a pretty difficult balancing act.

And it all comes back to what you start with. Better or for worse, there's no getting around that.

Like i said in a status. Watching McMullens effor thus far this year, its extremely significant to note that he visited Bo prior spring. Is what is. But its such a lack of options at end.

What's all this then? First I've heard of it.

He visited Bo and his former teammates - true enough

Wow let's pump the brakes on implying anything with McMullen visiting Bo. The insinuation is that McMullen is intentionally sandbagging because of some Bo Pelini influence. I wouldn't expect such a conspiracy from either guy, and I'd need more than a little proof to believe it.

We have no idea what kind of relationship Bo & McMullen have. Maybe it's deeper than football. Maybe McMullen needed something and Bo could provide it. Who knows, and really, who cares?

To go from an offseason get-together to any kind of "dogging it" implication is way too far to go. Let's let that idea just die, mmmkay?

• Fire 1

Like i said in a status. Watching McMullens effor thus far this year, its extremely significant to note that he visited Bo prior spring. Is what is. But its such a lack of options at end.

What's all this then? First I've heard of it.

He visited Bo and his former teammates - true enough
McMullen is from Ohio. He probably made a trip home and spent a night with friends and former teammates. Not everything is a conspiracy.
  • Fire 1

Woah, pump the brakes there.

You deal with what you have. If you *inherit* players who probably belong at a different position, you have to move them. Sure, maybe the need is so pressing you sacrifice long term for short term, or vice versa, but that's a pretty difficult balancing act.

And it all comes back to what you start with. Better or for worse, there's no getting around that.

To some extent, yes. But I'm confused why we are moving so many guys to DT which started out as the one of the deepest positions on the team. We started out with Collins, VV, Williams and Maurice. Now we've moved Stoltenberg and Price there and are talking about moving McMullen there as well. I really doubt we have need for 7 DTs this year. I don't mind Stoltenberg at DT long-term but I don't think it would hurt him to stay at DE one more year, especially if we have depth issues there. He needs another year to bulk up before being ready to be a force at DT anyway.

And I think people are basing too much criticism of McMullen on one video that they're ignoring the context of the play call in that video. He played quite a bit as a redshirt freshman two years ago. He was our second-leading tackler among DLinemen last year (Gregory had 54, McMullen had 47) including four sacks. He's only two tackles behind Freedom on the year. He is still easily our second-best DE this year. Perhaps Gangwish will prove to be a little better but there is nothing to base that on at this point. And even if he does, why move your third DE to where he won't be better than the fifth DT?

I'm talking about depth, not necessarily impact. McMullen is a servicable to solid DE, especially if when we get to teams that run the ball more. He would not do us any good at DT.