Husker Prayer: Stride, Stripes or Strife?

NUance

Stride, Stripes, or Strife?  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I see "stripes" is a distant third in this poll. Does it matter that the team says it that way? Listen to the first Youtube above in post #2 of this thread, the stripes version. In fact, the second Youtube in that post--the strides version--sounds a bit like the team is saying stripes instead of stride.

So then, if I think the team is saying stripes, am I obligated to use the word "stride" so as not to offend any who voted for stride? (This is a rhetorical question aimed at the person who contacted me about the matter.)

You found stripes once, you cant find it printed or stated like that ever. your once does not make it fact over the THOUSANDS of time it is stride or strife. not sure what your agenda is here, but I for one don't think you are the one that is going to change it!

What's the big deal? I used to say "stride". Then Redux pointed out that the team says "stripes". So I changed my opinion. Why is it such a hot button issue with you?

btw, I'm scurrying around to get on the road for the game. Probly won't be around posting after this.

GBR!

I see "stripes" is a distant third in this poll. Does it matter that the team says it that way? Listen to the first Youtube above in post #2 of this thread, the stripes version. In fact, the second Youtube in that post--the strides version--sounds a bit like the team is saying stripes instead of stride.

So then, if I think the team is saying stripes, am I obligated to use the word "stride" so as not to offend any who voted for stride? (This is a rhetorical question aimed at the person who contacted me about the matter.)

You found stripes once, you cant find it printed or stated like that ever. your once does not make it fact over the THOUSANDS of time it is stride or strife. not sure what your agenda is here, but I for one don't think you are the one that is going to change it!

What's the big deal? I used to say "stride". Then Redux pointed out that the team says "stripes". So I changed my opinion. Why is it such a hot button issue with you?

btw, I'm scurrying around to get on the road for the game. Probly won't be around posting after this.

GBR!

Well there's your problem. The team DOES NOT say it that way. You found ONE glitch that in science/statistics is called an anomaly NOT a norm. its a hot button because it is DEFENITLY not correct and you continue to press it by today, waiting to place it in the game day prayer! Seems a bit childish to me!

Excellent thread BTW NUance. I amend my statement above to say that we learned not two things, but several:

1. We know the exact words of the source poem.

2. We know (based on an NET report) the likely words of the original circa 1990 Jack Stark version. ( using "strife". And "a team that")

3. We know the preference of Huskerboard members with regard to stride>strife>stripes. The poll was not ambiguous.

4. We learned that the players have used multiple versions over the course of 25 years, with minor differences. Which one they use today is anyone's guess, and none of our business.

5. Many people have attached special meaning to one version or another, and that should be celebrated and respected as part of a unique Husker tradition.

So I would propose that when we say/type the prayer, any of those versions should be acceptable. Depends on who chooses to say that part of the prayer.

Let's not strive for strife, and maybe the Board will get better and better.

• Fire 2

Excellent thread BTW NUance. I amend my statement above to say that we learned not two things, but several:

1. We know the exact words of the source poem.

2. We know (based on an NET report) the likely words of the original circa 1990 Jack Stark version. ( using "strife". And "a team that")

3. We know the preference of Huskerboard members with regard to stride>strife>stripes. The poll was not ambiguous.

4. We learned that the players have used multiple versions over the course of 25 years, with minor differences. Which one they use today is anyone's guess, and none of our business.

5. Many people have attached special meaning to one version or another, and that should be celebrated and respected as part of a unique Husker tradition.

So I would propose that when we say/type the prayer, any of those versions should be acceptable. Depends on who chooses to say that part of the prayer.

Let's not strive for strife, and maybe the Board will get better and better.

Best post I've read in a long time. Wish I could +1000 this one

GBR!

Well there's your problem. The team DOES NOT say it that way. You found ONE glitch that in science/statistics is called an anomaly NOT a norm. its a hot button because it is DEFENITLY not correct and you continue to press it by today, waiting to place it in the game day prayer! Seems a bit childish to me!

Yes....NUance is the one being childish, lol.

• 4 years later...