Coaching Rankings

This topic is fair (I think the rankings are totally wrong) but at the start of the year we used all of these "rankings" that people found talking about how great Riley and his staff were, most underrated staff, staff you would want your kid playing for, best staff with the least amount of resources. We had a lot of posts and links about those rankings.

This is totally fair, again, it is totally not accurate in my mind but it is a fair topic.

Could I get some cited sources, MLA style, for these rankings you are talking about on my desk by Monday morning? Thanks teach

Here is where our coaching staff is ranked by national pundits:

Phil Steele - 11/14 in the BIG

Sporting News - 7 in the BIG, 46 nationally

Athlon - 40th

Fox Sports - not in top 25

CBSports - 48/66 in just the "power 5"

I didn't look at all the websites and find out, but how does a coach go from being 27th ranked in '14 to 40th ranked in '15, after changing to a better school with better resources? I guess coming to Nebraska will do that to a coach. . . sigh. Link.

How? Simple. Overreaction to the results of the first 4 games of a transition year. It is understandable tho. The main positive that has been proven by them is the improvement of Tommy and the passing game. The rest is speculation at this point.

The athlon rankings were made before the season started. They didn't have the opportunity to watch us play, probably a good thing because Riley might be ranked even lower considering.

Oh. I see. Well, that IS puzzling, then. They must not have liked how the Spring Game went, then. Yeah, that's it. :confucius

This topic is fair (I think the rankings are totally wrong) but at the start of the year we used all of these "rankings" that people found talking about how great Riley and his staff were, most underrated staff, staff you would want your kid playing for, best staff with the least amount of resources. We had a lot of posts and links about those rankings.

This is totally fair, again, it is totally not accurate in my mind but it is a fair topic.

Could I get some cited sources, MLA style, for these rankings you are talking about on my desk by Monday morning? Thanks teach

I know ESPN had a poll for most underrated coach and Riley was #2 behind David Cutcliffe. That poll was cited right here on this forum quite often.

We all have a tendency to seek out information that either confirms our biases or eases our fears. Very natural instinct.

But let's be honest, these ranking, whether they say Riley is God or Riley is terrible, are completely subjective BS that only exist to generate page clicks for the sites hosting them.

These types of rankings are complete rubbish. I don't care if it feels "fair" or not. They are useless. Just a subjective beauty contest from the perspective of whoever publishes it. I don't recall seeing any rankings for Riley and his staff about how they were the most underrated, best staff with least resources, or any of the others you mentioned. People said those things but I sure don't recall any "rankings" backing them up.

So, this begs the question, How is this topic fair if the rankings are totally wrong and useless? Riddle me that.

I guess people can talk about what they want but this has to be one of the biggest wastes of cyber space I have come across.

Coming soon; JJHusker ranks his favorite colors. Spoiler alert.....#1 isn't red....... More to come.

These types of rankings are complete rubbish. I don't care if it feels "fair" or not. They are useless. Just a subjective beauty contest from the perspective of whoever publishes it. I don't recall seeing any rankings for Riley and his staff about how they were the most underrated, best staff with least resources, or any of the others you mentioned. People said those things but I sure don't recall any "rankings" backing them up.

So, this begs the question, How is this topic fair if the rankings are totally wrong and useless? Riddle me that.

I guess people can talk about what they want but this has to be one of the biggest wastes of cyber space I have come across.

Coming soon; JJHusker ranks his favorite colors. Spoiler alert.....#1 isn't red....... More to come.

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/99148/dukes-cutcliffe-voted-most-underrated

And this post was referenced in a lot of threads here in this forum. Here are a few:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB0QFjAAahUKEwiDu_-okaTIAhXFHD4KHehMChw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.huskerboard.com%2Findex.php%3F%2Ftopic%2F72909-some-twitter-reactions-to-the-riley-hire%2F&usg=AFQjCNGFEYMBnvrYirWvOVrpE24i9I_sJA&bvm=bv.104317490,d.cWw

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCkQFjACahUKEwiDu_-okaTIAhXFHD4KHehMChw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.huskerboard.com%2Findex.php%3F%2Ftopic%2F75432-riley-shelf-life%2Fpage-3&usg=AFQjCNFlzWokQH_pKyuza8nuK6J0TSHY8w&bvm=bv.104317490,d.cWw

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CD0QFjAFahUKEwiDu_-okaTIAhXFHD4KHehMChw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.huskerboard.com%2Findex.php%3F%2Ftopic%2F72942-top-coaches-before-they-were-top-coaches-why-riley-deserves-a-chance%2F&usg=AFQjCNF8qDdTCROT5FukOwlgy25qpRrkfg&bvm=bv.104317490,d.cWw

IMO, Riley was hired because of one thing you listed: "best staff with the least amount of resources". I know most fans don't want or like to believe this, but Nebraska just isn't a hotbed for recruiting. It was going to take someone cut from the same cloth as Bill Snyder to revive this program. We can more than likely expect top 25-30 recruiting classes, but top 15 classes are going to be few and far between.

We just fired a pretty good coach who couldn't recruit the players he needed to run his schemes. Before him, we fired a coach who could recruit pretty decent but couldn't coach a lick. Riley was hired to slightly improve the recruiting all the while coaching them better. I really like the hiring of Riley as I've followed him at Oregon State for several years. However, this isn't going to extrapolate to immediate success.

• Fire 1

IMO, Riley was hired because of one thing you listed: "best staff with the least amount of resources". I know most fans don't want or like to believe this, but Nebraska just isn't a hotbed for recruiting. It was going to take someone cut from the same cloth as Bill Snyder to revive this program. We can more than likely expect top 25-30 recruiting classes, but top 15 classes are going to be few and far between.

We just fired a pretty good coach who couldn't recruit the players he needed to run his schemes. Before him, we fired a coach who could recruit pretty decent but couldn't coach a lick. Riley was hired to slightly improve the recruiting all the while coaching them better. I really like the hiring of Riley as I've followed him at Oregon State for several years. However, this isn't going to extrapolate to immediate success.

If Riley was cut from the cloth of Bill Snyder, we would win a national championship this year. When Snyder took over, KSU was way worse than OSU ever was at their lowest point. And Riley actually took over for his 2nd stint at OSU at their high point.

If Riley was cut from the cloth of Bill Snyder, we would win a national championship this year. When Snyder took over, KSU was way worse than OSU ever was at their lowest point. And Riley actually took over for his 2nd stint at OSU at their high point.

When Snyder really got things rolling at KState, KState started putting the money into the facilities. Oregon State never really put any money into their facilities. Oregon State totally missed their opportunity. From 06-09, they could have pumped money into their facilities when things were going pretty good for Oregon State. However, they chose not to do it. Snyder has lived and died with JuCo talent. In 03, KState probably should have been the NC. When Roberson went down with an injury, they lost to Marshall. When Roberson was suspended for the first half in their bowl game, they lost. One of the biggest problems Snyder has had a KState is the lack of quality depth. IMO, we're similar in lacking quality depth.

I'm really not sure Riley took over for Oregon State at their high point. Two seasons before he arrived they had a losing record and didn't qualify for a bowl. The season before he took over, they were 8-5 and unranked. People like to give Erickson the credit for their one great season, but it was all with Riley recruits. Once he got into his recruits, he didn't do so well. When Riley took over the second time, they didn't get back to being good and or ranked until he got into his recruits.

I'm not saying Riley is Snyder. All I'm saying is that he was hired because of his reputation to do more with less.

When Snyder really got things rolling at KState, KState started putting the money into the facilities. Oregon State never really put any money into their facilities. Oregon State totally missed their opportunity. From 06-09, they could have pumped money into their facilities when things were going pretty good for Oregon State. However, they chose not to do it. Snyder has lived and died with JuCo talent. In 03, KState probably should have been the NC. When Roberson went down with an injury, they lost to Marshall. When Roberson was suspended for the first half in their bowl game, they lost. One of the biggest problems Snyder has had a KState is the lack of quality depth. IMO, we're similar in lacking quality depth.

I'm really not sure Riley took over for Oregon State at their high point. Two seasons before he arrived they had a losing record and didn't qualify for a bowl. The season before he took over, they were 8-5 and unranked. People like to give Erickson the credit for their one great season, but it was all with Riley recruits. Once he got into his recruits, he didn't do so well. When Riley took over the second time, they didn't get back to being good and or ranked until he got into his recruits.

I'm not saying Riley is Snyder. All I'm saying is that he was hired because of his reputation to do more with less.

No, he was hired because he's super de dooper nice. He's the anti-Bo when it come to "nice". That was the main factor.