UNL: Day by Day

zoogs

I like coach Thompson. He seems to be passionate about coaching and the position of tight end. He was an Offensive Tackle as a player, so has recent experience with the line play side of the position. Being Hawaiian, I wonder if that helps us in recruiting a little? At least with Polynesian/ West Coast recruiting?

Coach Thompson on comming to Nebraska:

You know, at first it was a shock, nobody really knew what was going on, but having the opportunity to come here, with all the amount of tradition and everything, and even the island connection that Nebraska once had, (several players from my High School came here), so, I'm honored to be here....

The amount of support is unbeleivable. Anywhere you go, everywhere you go, all you see is red. Everything is Nebraska. It's fantastic. It kinda puts you at a loss for words. You go to other programs, and you see what they do there.... You come here, and it really truly is the way that sports should be.

• Fire 1

Hey, speaking of Trey Foster, how's he doing? Was he the player that got hurt against BYU? Is he back yet?

David Sutton got hurt against BYU - Foster had a big game vs BYU actually, and has henceforth disappeared.

Foster was also hurt. Believe it is an ankle issue and it happened during the South Alabama game I want to say.

• 2 weeks later...

Good production value on these videos!

for Minnesota Week: "Stepping Up"

Looks like they are highlighting 3 backups that have been impressive: Freedom, Ozigbo, and Weber.

Freedom:

t was a milestone. It definitely meant the beginning of something. Receiving this Blackshirt, I know it has history. I know that if I wear it I have to represent what this Blackshirt really means, and the tradition that's behind it.

Ozigbo:

In the week of practice leading up to the game, I knew I was getting a lot more reps. So I kind of had an idea, but I didn't really know until the day before the game.... and even then I didn't know how many snaps, so I was definitely happy about how much I got.

I definitely got adjusted to the speed, and the speed of the defense, and everything like that. That definitely helped me out as the game went along....

With me, I was just patiently waiting for my chance, and I finally got it. So I know I needed to make the biggest impact with the chance, not knowing if I get many more.

Chris Weber:

I think I've gotten more comfortable. It's been easier to run out there and call the defense. Seeing more reps, each week, how I've prepared has gotten better.

We've had a bunch of different guys step up. (Coach Bray) tells each and every one of us in that room, If your number gets called, you better be ready to go. He'll throw us in there. He's been great at getting us ready each week, and preparing a game plan that will help us out, and getting us prepared.

You know, it just shows that we've got some depth, and we've got some dudes that really want to contribute to this team, and feel like they really can.

wow. I think Coach Bray has done a great job with the confidence of a very thin position.

• Fire 2

nicely done video!

Question on Kalu's pick-six: Didn't we commit an obvious block-in-the-back on his run?

I would say it COULD have been flagged.

But I'm pretty sure the definition of "in the back" is "between the shoulders" and that appears to be at least somewhat from the side so we might have gotten the benefit of the doubt.

Perhaps it's the high school rule that says something about "between the shoulders."

Here's the college rule:

ARTICLE 4.

a. A block in the back is contact against an opponent occurring when the force of the initial contact is from behind and above the waist. When in question, the contact is at or below below the waist (see Clipping, Rule 2-5) (Rule 9-3-6) (A.R. 9-3-3-I-VII and A.R. 10-2-2-XII).

b. The position of the blocker’s head or feet does not necessarily indicate the point of initial contact.

Link

But I still think we just got the benefit of the doubt for being from the side instead of behind.