LJS: McBride has positive feeling about NU coaches

zoogs

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/life-in-the-red/mcbride-has-positive-feeling-about-nu-coaches/article_79b998f4-6dd6-11e5-98c5-a3f8c211e14b.html?utm_source=huskerboard

Charlie McBride knows how hard everyone takes losing in the state of Nebraska. He took his share of heat for a lot of years before he was as beloved as he is by the Husker fan base today.

The former Nebraska defensive coordinator is also full of positivity about this new staff despite NU's 2-3 start.

McBride talks about how it takes time to cultivate relationships with a new team, and his praise for the new staff abounds. Said McBride: "He is the only coach that came in, period, that asked any of the former coaches, not for advice about what they're playing, but about people in the state. They wanted to learn as much about it as they could. There's nobody that's ever done that before."

He asks Husker fans to "give them a chance". Hear, hear!

Okay....if that's what Charlie wants then there must be something to it. Remember, the Husker Exile started the day he retired.

Callahan ultimately ended up not being the right hire. Pelini ultimately ended up not being the right hire, even though he got us to a few conference championship games and won a few bowl games. Will Riley end up being the right hire? Who knows, but 5 games in is far too early to tell.

You know what? The start Riley's had isn't too far off from the start Bo had in 2008. And let's not talk about talent left by the previous coaching staff, let's just assume they're equal: you'll hear people say that Cally left no talent and that Pelini left a lot of talent and vice versa, so let's just say they're equal. In 2008, Bo had wins over Western Michigan (47-24), San Jose State (35-12), New Mexico State (38-7), before losing to Virginia Tech (35-30) and Missouri (52-17).

ESPN likes to track win probability of teams at various points during the game. Against BYU, up 28-27 with :01, Nebraska had a 98.5% chance of winning. Nebraska lost. Against Illinois, up 13-7 on 3rd and 7, Nebraska had a 99.5% chance of winning. Nebraska lost. We had a 98% of being 4-1 right now, and we've just happened to wind up in the 2% this time. Even though one of the games was really the result of a bad playcall, let's just assume that that playcall was simply unlucky and a matter of chance (who knows, maybe Tommy wasn't supposed to throw the ball). We won't always wind up in that 2% area, it's just probabilistically unlikely.

• Fire 2

http://journalstar.com/sports/football/college/coaches-praise-callahan-hiring/article_810c0d70-e3d5-5f8a-a8b3-39f9e10dce74.html

One of Callahan's biggest supporters is former Nebraska defensive coordinator Charlie McBride, the architect of NU's national championship defenses during the 1990s.

In fact, the first person Callahan spoke with Friday morning after he signed a six-year contract with Nebraska was McBride.

"Billy's as good a fit for Nebraska that I can ever imagine," McBride said.

. . . .

"I told my wife that if Bill didn't make it at Oakland, I hope Steve looks at him," McBride said.

"He would be my first choice."

Yep, Charlie's stories are great, but...........

Callahan ultimately ended up not being the right hire. Pelini ultimately ended up not being the right hire, even though he got us to a few conference championship games and won a few bowl games. Will Riley end up being the right hire? Who knows, but 5 games in is far too early to tell.

You know what? The start Riley's had isn't too far off from the start Bo had in 2008. And let's not talk about talent left by the previous coaching staff, let's just assume they're equal: you'll hear people say that Cally left no talent and that Pelini left a lot of talent and vice versa, so let's just say they're equal. In 2008, Bo had wins over Western Michigan (47-24), San Jose State (35-12), New Mexico State (38-7), before losing to Virginia Tech (35-30) and Missouri (52-17).

ESPN likes to track win probability of teams at various points during the game. Against BYU, up 28-27 with :01, Nebraska had a 98.5% chance of winning. Nebraska lost. Against Illinois, up 13-7 on 3rd and 7, Nebraska had a 99.5% chance of winning. Nebraska lost. We had a 98% of being 4-1 right now, and we've just happened to wind up in the 2% this time. Even though one of the games was really the result of a bad playcall, let's just assume that that playcall was simply unlucky and a matter of chance (who knows, maybe Tommy wasn't supposed to throw the ball). We won't always wind up in that 2% area, it's just probabilistically unlikely.

I have some yellow rocks to sell you. We will call it Gold. 98% chance it is not Gold. No stoping you. Buy it. Then lets say we revisit this in a couple of weeks. Oops you might buy again.

http://journalstar.com/sports/football/college/coaches-praise-callahan-hiring/article_810c0d70-e3d5-5f8a-a8b3-39f9e10dce74.html

One of Callahan's biggest supporters is former Nebraska defensive coordinator Charlie McBride, the architect of NU's national championship defenses during the 1990s.

In fact, the first person Callahan spoke with Friday morning after he signed a six-year contract with Nebraska was McBride.

"Billy's as good a fit for Nebraska that I can ever imagine," McBride said.

. . . .

"I told my wife that if Bill didn't make it at Oakland, I hope Steve looks at him," McBride said.

"He would be my first choice."

Yep, Charlie's stories are great, but...........

A good friend of mine was a starter on the '97 team. He has some REALLY good Charlie stories!

Callahan was a good hire. So was Bo. They both got their chances...a chance you don't want to give at all to Riley.

Really hard to understand.

Callahan was never a good hire. When you get turned down by Houston Nutt and Dave "Stache" Wannstedt, you are already in trouble. The list of coaches Pud had was garbage. Callahan's credentials weren't very good either. He only had two years of head coaching experience prior to coming here. In those two years, he inherited a Super Bowl team from Gruden and pretty much destroyed it in those two years. He lost the team which is exactly what he would go on to do here in 07'. I don't think it's any mystery why he hasn't been picked up as a head coach since his firing here.

Callahan was a good hire. So was Bo. They both got their chances...a chance you don't want to give at all to Riley.

Really hard to understand.

Callahan was never a good hire. When you get turned down by Houston Nutt and Dave "Stache" Wannstedt, you are already in trouble. The list of coaches Pud had was garbage. Callahan's credentials weren't very good either. He only had two years of head coaching experience prior to coming here. In those two years, he inherited a Super Bowl team from Gruden and pretty much destroyed it in those two years. He lost the team which is exactly what he would go on to do here in 07'. I don't think it's any mystery why he hasn't been picked up as a head coach since his firing here.

One positive thing I will say about Callahan . . . in his last year at Oakland, he was smart enough to hire a bodyguard to walk him to and from his car at the stadium before and after practice so his players wouldn't kill him.