Potentially the state of the Huskers

First of all, I was certainly disappointed in today's loss. I know this is not the Wisconsin of season's past, but still couldn't understand how Nebraska opened by being a favorite. However, I'm not a sunshine kool-aid drinker nor a sky is falling person, but I think there needs to be an objective discussion about the things from today, things which are plaguing the Huskers.

1. Offensive play calling.
Riley has a system, a system which unfortunately was not built for the current Nebraska personnel. Tommy Armstrong is not a pocket passer, nor has he ever been so the offense must be tweaked to accent Armstrong's strengths, i.e. designed runs, zone read, bootlegs, with play action passing rather than timing and precision throws. I'm continually shocked as to why Langsdorf continues to sling the ball all over the yard. There are too many swings, screens and flat passes which go for few to no yards. I'd like to see the playbook put in more designed runs.

2. Management of the Running backs
This is also confusing as no one can find a rhythm within the offense. Unfortunately, a lot of blame can be shouldered by the lack of offensive line play as holes/seams aren't there. This o-line cannot move midgets on skates which tends towards lots of negative plays. However, the backs either dance too much back there or run straight ahead into the pile. Make a cut, and try to get north and south. But, not even the backs know who's going to get the carries. If there is a rotation, let it happen and don't change it from play to play with no rhyme or reason.
3. Banker's pass defense scheme

It's the worst in the country, unfortunately. Wisconsin threw 50 passes. FIFTY. Why? Because the pass defense is absolutely atrocious. Coming into the game, Joel Stave had only one 300 yard passing day in his career and he threw for 322 today. The scheme is broken with DBs flopping around like freshly caught fish. Banker's "quarters" coverage doesn't stop anything; the only reason Stave didn't throw for 500 plus today was because of drops and his own inaccuracy. Either Riley or Banker must be held accountable.

4. Realization of exactly how empty the cupboard was

Outside of the D-line, and some WRs, the recruiting had left Nebraska in a bit of a hole. It's clearly evident with the talent on the O-line, and D-backfield, Pelini's staff whiffed mightily on recruiting. Riley's hire came late and people have to understand that a hire in December drastically shortens the recruiting window as most high school football is over and all coaches are seeing are highlight videos and not the whole package of any inconsistencies or holes in a player's game. It's going to take a class or two to restock.

5. This team's fight
Even though things have gone horrendously wrong with Nebraska, this team still has some fight left. I also believe Riley has some fight within him as well. When he got in the official's ear about the lack of pass interference calls, followed by getting flagged, it sent a message to the team that Riley is still willing to fight for his guys. Plus, I loved the call where they ran the same play and drew the warranted flag. With the previous coaching staff, I have no doubt BYU and Miami would have hung 50 on us as those were the types of games where Nebraska folded up the tents. If Nebraska was 6-0 instead of 2-4, people would be whining about being the worst 6-0 team in the country, and rightfully so. And Nebraska might be the most injured team in the country.

6. Flag fever

I'm very puzzled about why there are so many flags. Is it because people aren't quite sure of positioning, movements, etc on both ends or is it a lack of focus or a lack of confidence in the system? This needs to be addressed because 80-100 yards of free yardage is highly unacceptable. Maybe it's a holdover from the undisciplined football we saw for the last several years.

I do think things aren't quite as bleak and gloomy as they may seem. It's definitely not a clear sky, but maybe mostly cloudy with occasional rays of sunshine poking through. One season without a coach's recruits is not enough to warrant the firing of the coach. I also think if things can click a little, this team will be fun to watch yet this season.

• Fire 2

The program is dead bro.

Fire Riley we r screwed

let Riley coach and we are screwed.

The only option I see right now is keep the coach, but hire someone for game management. That way we can fix some of the monkey mistakes we are having. 2nd at that point if we have to fire the zoo crew we can at least show we provided these handicaps with reasonable accomadations.

Agree with a lot of what the OP says, good analysis. Riley is here to stay. I do think he needs to get to 5 wins. There are 6 games left so he has to win 3 out of 6. If we only reach 4 wins he likely survives. If he only gets to 3, I think we re-boot this thing and find a coach committed to the brand needed to win here. Start upfront with the OL and lead with a running attack. Plus defense, defense, and more defense.

This season is now about the re-build and Riley needs to get his system in and working fast or this will be short lived. He needs to show he can win with his brand of football and signal to recruits to come in and help him build his brand. He'll get a chance but if it continues to fail miserably he will be out. You don't take a 9-4 team and win 3 games the next season and survive. This is the storyline now for the rest of the year.

Just WOW. Seems as if Riley & Co. are continuing to find new and creative ways to steal defeat from the jaws of victory. And it is becoming a pattern and not a one time fluke. Riley appears to not have a clue as to what it takes to win and dominate. At this point it should be obvious to

all that Riley's style (scheme) of football is not working and his style of coaching is not working. The fans have lost confidence, the players have lost confidence ... the only folks who have not lost confidence are the ones who hired Riley. And they will say they have confidence in Riley only to justify their decision to hire him. Only when revenues from ticket sales and merchandising decline will they fire Riley and make a change. Remember these are the kind of people who have huge egos and would rather go down with the ship than admit they made a mistake.

This is so sad ... It brings to mind that song "MacAthrur's Park". Remember... Left the cake out in the rain and it took so long to bake it ...

Good points in the OP, BUT we have some glaring issues.

Riley didn't take over a dumpster fire. He made it. We we 9-4 last year. Not 2-10.

He refuses to fit the scheme to his guys.

Recruiting misses do not account for being dead last in penalties.

Recruiting misses does not account for being dead last in pass D and towards the bottom of total D. (we are not playing offensive juggernauts)

The clock management is something I would expect from a first year coach. not one with 40 years in coaching....

The penalties, see above. This followed him from Corvallis.

Riley is a .536 career coach. He wins as many as he loses. Winning is habit forming. So is losing. Not saying he accepts "losing", but I really think it is part of his make up after 40 years of coaching. IMO, he goes above .500 and he is truly happy. He has over achieved and gotten "more with less". That seems to be what the major supporters say. The whole, "but look what he did at OSU with less".... Well maybe, his lengthy resume is what it is. Average is the best he can do.

Ref recruiting, its not posters driving kids away. Its the craptastic 0-3 record this season n which we lost on the last play. One game a fluke, 2 a question mark and 3 a trend. Riley and Co can't close the deal..... It's a NU sitting at 2-4 against a weak West. It's no definitive system..

His high flying offense won't work at NU. To windy games and TA looks horrific. He's not a pocket passer. He should be passing off PA and rolling out. First read or two not there, tuck and run.....

Not to mention DPE (best returner last year by 300 yards) is playing WR and running sweeps and screens, BUT NOT RETURN!!!!!!! You burn Stevensons shirt to sit in the end zone and catch touch backs. Wilson is completely MIA. The roster management sucks. And that's being kind. Thought Stevensons shirt meant he would play and try to give a jolt to the O. Nope. Another glaring example that this staff, for all its experience is average at best....

Wasn't a fan when hired, but figured give him a chance. Well 6 games in, we have what his resume said he was. An average coach, with less than average staff....

• Fire 2

First of all, I was certainly disappointed in today's loss. I know this is not the Wisconsin of season's past, but still couldn't understand how Nebraska opened by being a favorite. However, I'm not a sunshine kool-aid drinker nor a sky is falling person, but I think there needs to be an objective discussion about the things from today, things which are plaguing the Huskers.

1. Offensive play calling.

Riley has a system, a system which unfortunately was not built for the current Nebraska personnel. Tommy Armstrong is not a pocket passer, nor has he ever been so the offense must be tweaked to accent Armstrong's strengths, i.e. designed runs, zone read, bootlegs, with play action passing rather than timing and precision throws. I'm continually shocked as to why Langsdorf continues to sling the ball all over the yard. There are too many swings, screens and flat passes which go for few to no yards. I'd like to see the playbook put in more designed runs.

2. Management of the Running backs

This is also confusing as no one can find a rhythm within the offense. Unfortunately, a lot of blame can be shouldered by the lack of offensive line play as holes/seams aren't there. This o-line cannot move midgets on skates which tends towards lots of negative plays. However, the backs either dance too much back there or run straight ahead into the pile. Make a cut, and try to get north and south. But, not even the backs know who's going to get the carries. If there is a rotation, let it happen and don't change it from play to play with no rhyme or reason.

3. Banker's pass defense scheme

It's the worst in the country, unfortunately. Wisconsin threw 50 passes. FIFTY. Why? Because the pass defense is absolutely atrocious. Coming into the game, Joel Stave had only one 300 yard passing day in his career and he threw for 322 today. The scheme is broken with DBs flopping around like freshly caught fish. Banker's "quarters" coverage doesn't stop anything; the only reason Stave didn't throw for 500 plus today was because of drops and his own inaccuracy. Either Riley or Banker must be held accountable.

4. Realization of exactly how empty the cupboard was

Outside of the D-line, and some WRs, the recruiting had left Nebraska in a bit of a hole. It's clearly evident with the talent on the O-line, and D-backfield, Pelini's staff whiffed mightily on recruiting. Riley's hire came late and people have to understand that a hire in December drastically shortens the recruiting window as most high school football is over and all coaches are seeing are highlight videos and not the whole package of any inconsistencies or holes in a player's game. It's going to take a class or two to restock.

5. This team's fight

Even though things have gone horrendously wrong with Nebraska, this team still has some fight left. I also believe Riley has some fight within him as well. When he got in the official's ear about the lack of pass interference calls, followed by getting flagged, it sent a message to the team that Riley is still willing to fight for his guys. Plus, I loved the call where they ran the same play and drew the warranted flag. With the previous coaching staff, I have no doubt BYU and Miami would have hung 50 on us as those were the types of games where Nebraska folded up the tents. If Nebraska was 6-0 instead of 2-4, people would be whining about being the worst 6-0 team in the country, and rightfully so. And Nebraska might be the most injured team in the country.

6. Flag fever

I'm very puzzled about why there are so many flags. Is it because people aren't quite sure of positioning, movements, etc on both ends or is it a lack of focus or a lack of confidence in the system? This needs to be addressed because 80-100 yards of free yardage is highly unacceptable. Maybe it's a holdover from the undisciplined football we saw for the last several years.

I do think things aren't quite as bleak and gloomy as they may seem. It's definitely not a clear sky, but maybe mostly cloudy with occasional rays of sunshine poking through. One season without a coach's recruits is not enough to warrant the firing of the coach. I also think if things can click a little, this team will be fun to watch yet this season.

2 things, when your DB's are getting "lit up" they will hold and get called for pass interference.........

and it's not so much the recruits or the system, which admittedly do not match up, but the piss poor play calling is mind boggling.........

I was thinking about the concept of 'collective wisdom' in which there is said to be a certain amount of good judgment from the combined opinions of the populous as indicated by the tabulated vote of the masses or by the accurate polling thereof. Can we say with any degree of reliability that the 'collective wisdom' of the views on all of those who post on Huskerboard is indicative of the 'wisdom' of the fans about the program, the coaches, the players and so on?

Or, are we seeing a bunch of knee jerk reactions by the select few (not a representative sampling certainly) who are overly involved and irrationally attached to the Nebraska football program in general?

I think you can assert correctly that the views of the members of this board are much more informed than the average fans' views. The members of this board certainly spend inordinate amounts of time and energy getting familiar with players, coaches, statistics, opponents, etc etc etc. Most serious posters on this board are almost demonically possessed by the obsession of Husker football. Perhaps we are all too close and too involved to be impartial and rational. We are too wrapped up in the details to be able to see the big picture.