Ashamed

When I posted this originally, I was frustrated with all the fire Riley postings. I was hoping that my post would help in calming things just a little. After reviewing all the subsequent posts, it appears I had made it worse. What I really find interesting is all the new name posters. I have been reading this board for a long time. I usually keep my thoughts to myself, laugh at some I read and shake my head at others. But, the fire the coach thing is really getting out of hand. Even with all the reposting of my post, nobody addressed the main point I was making.

Its not about the wins or losses, Its about how you play the game. We, the husker faithful, used to keep that in mind and close to our hearts. Not so much anymore. Too bad, that is what made us special as a fan base.

Okay, all you haters..... Ready, set, go.......

There must be some who agree with you, NU5X. You received 17 +1s for your OP. (So far.) I've only seen a handful of posts on HB since we've been giving out +1s that were more well received. :thumbs:

If it's really about how you play the game, then I suggest that you 2 and anyone that plus 1'd your posts actually watch the games.

The team hasn't gotten better, and has actually regressed in many Areas.

Do you think losing Ameer and Randy Gregory, and the injuries we have on defense, have any impact on our team?

Every team loses players.

Injuries are not an excuse. They weren't for the past 7 years even when we actually lost all American caliber players, why would they now?

Coach em up, coach em up.

Excuses are not acceptable here.

This train of thought is everything that is wrong with this fanbase. What "all American caliber players" did Bo recruit and lost to injury? You can't "coach up" slow players to run faster, This team lacks talent and depth so there isn't anything to "coach up." Not to mention we have a QB who had a completion percentage in the 50's when he had Ameer carrying the load on offense, now we don't have a RB on the roster that other teams need to game plan for. And people expect him to play better trying to shoulder the load on his own? The kid has a ton of heart, but is still inaccurate and that is killing this offense. So unless TA (who is playing hurt) all of a sudden becomes an accurate passer, or we have a RB that distances himself from the others, not to mention a very shaky OL that need to help both a lot better than they are then we will see the same thing every week. A very frustrating offense that leaves the defense on the field for too long and with their lack of depth will wear out in the 4th quarter.
Just the previous 2 years we lost our 4 year all conference and former Heisman "mentioned" starting QB, ( and for at least a few games) the second leading rusher in school history and an all American caliber DE, yet we were still able to win games.

At RB there is no excuse for the mismanagement and spit balling approach that is being used. We have 5 4* guys, it's football not rocket surgery.

The use of the highlighted above is baffling? Is this a quote you have heard from a brain surgeon who has rocket science background? :dunno jk

I guess you've never heard that phrase?

Can't say I have.

I have heard "it's not Brain Surgery" and I have heard "it's not Rocket Science" but until today, I had never heard "it's not Rocket Surgery". OH, OH, how about "it's not Brain Science"? :ahhhhhhhh

Parsing words.......

.....ok. Moving on......

When I posted this originally, I was frustrated with all the fire Riley postings. I was hoping that my post would help in calming things just a little. After reviewing all the subsequent posts, it appears I had made it worse. What I really find interesting is all the new name posters. I have been reading this board for a long time. I usually keep my thoughts to myself, laugh at some I read and shake my head at others. But, the fire the coach thing is really getting out of hand. Even with all the reposting of my post, nobody addressed the main point I was making.

Its not about the wins or losses, Its about how you play the game. We, the husker faithful, used to keep that in mind and close to our hearts. Not so much anymore. Too bad, that is what made us special as a fan base.

There must be some who agree with you, NU5X. You received 17 +1s for your OP. (So far.) I've only seen a handful of posts on HB since we've been giving out +1s that were more well received. :thumbs:

If it's really about how you play the game, then I suggest that you 2 and anyone that plus 1'd your posts actually watch the games.

Do you think losing Ameer and Randy Gregory, and the injuries we have on defense, have any impact on our team?

Injuries are not an excuse. They weren't for the past 7 years even when we actually lost all American caliber players, why would they now?

This train of thought is everything that is wrong with this fanbase. What "all American caliber players" did Bo recruit and lost to injury? You can't "coach up" slow players to run faster, This team lacks talent and depth so there isn't anything to "coach up." Not to mention we have a QB who had a completion percentage in the 50's when he had Ameer carrying the load on offense, now we don't have a RB on the roster that other teams need to game plan for. And people expect him to play better trying to shoulder the load on his own? The kid has a ton of heart, but is still inaccurate and that is killing this offense. So unless TA (who is playing hurt) all of a sudden becomes an accurate passer, or we have a RB that distances himself from the others, not to mention a very shaky OL that need to help both a lot better than they are then we will see the same thing every week. A very frustrating offense that leaves the defense on the field for too long and with their lack of depth will wear out in the 4th quarter.

Just the previous 2 years we lost our 4 year all conference and former Heisman "mentioned" starting QB, ( and for at least a few games) the second leading rusher in school history and an all American caliber DE, yet we were still able to win games.

At RB there is no excuse for the mismanagement and spit balling approach that is being used. We have 5 4* guys, it's football not rocket surgery.

This was also with a head coach whose players were in a system they believed in under the guy who recruited them.

This roster is made up entirely of players who were recruited to play under a different staff and in different schemes. Not every transition is sunshine and roses and you appear to be vastly undervaluing the mental side of the game here.

And from a talent perspective, take some time today to look through the senior class of this Nebraska team and answer one question - how many guys do you think this team is going to miss by the end of the year? I see maybe four guys I can make an argument for and that's out of 20 guys. Some of the other guys have experience but are we going to miss their play on the field? Doubtful. So, that's equal to or less than one quarter of our senior class who will be completely forgotten years down the road.

That is a talent issue. Are there good pieces here? Yes. But, when you go through wholesale changes, picking up where you left off and improving are not as simple as flipping on a switch and many people on this board seem to think it is.

It's not excuses. It's reality.

This was also with a head coach whose players were in a system they believed in under the guy who recruited them.

This roster is made up entirely of players who were recruited to play under a different staff and in different schemes. Not every transition is sunshine and roses and you appear to be vastly undervaluing the mental side of the game here.

And from a talent perspective, take some time today to look through the senior class of this Nebraska team and answer one question - how many guys do you think this team is going to miss by the end of the year? I see maybe four guys I can make an argument for and that's out of 20 guys. Some of the other guys have experience but are we going to miss their play on the field? Doubtful. So, that's equal to or less than one quarter of our senior class who will be completely forgotten years down the road.

That is a talent issue. Are there good pieces here? Yes. But, when you go through wholesale changes, picking up where you left off and improving are not as simple as flipping on a switch and many people on this board seem to think it is.

I don't disagree with quite a bit of this, but then why did the BTN guys say that we were the most talented team in the division?

There is no excuse for losing to Illinois.

So it was a pretty big dropoff going from Helu to Abdullah? That's what your argument is based on? :LOLtartar

First, between Roy and Ameer, there was this dude named Rex that was the #1 guy. He got a hurt a couple of times and we still won games.

Second, you may want to read my posts before commenting on them. You do realize that Ameer is the #2 in school history and he hurt his knee last year, don't you?

Well, I guess your post didn't make sense to me. But I understand now. You are saying that Pelini lost Ameer for a couple of games and could win, so he is a better coach than Riley who lost Ameer for all games. Mmmmkay. :blink:

Riley didn't lose Ameer, you can't lose what you never had.

That's college football, guys leave after 3 or 4 years.

Well, duh.

But you are saying that Pelini was put in a worse situation to be without Ameer for a couple games than Riley is to have never had Ameer at all. It's not rocket surgery you know.

I don't disagree with quite a bit of this, but then why did the BTN guys say that we were the most talented team in the division?

I think that's because, on paper, they are the most talented team in the division. Recruiting rankings alone verify this, depending on how much weight you put into them. I believe they're valuable in their own way. However, just because we're more talented doesn't mean we're exceptionally more talented or that we can take our talent for granted. Michigan has been one of the most talented teams in the B1G in recent years, but as we all saw, their coaching sucked.

And you're right, there aren't a lot of excuses for losing to Illinois, especially in the way we did. It was terrible game planning and clock management and that falls on the coaches.

But, there also wasn't any reason to lose Iowa State the way we did 2009, or them taking us into OT the following year. We've spent the last 14 or so years losing to teams we were "better than."

This is where I say the mental side of the game is being grossly undervalued by some people. If everything was about talent then Nebraska would win 10 games a year in this conference. We all know that's not true. The new coaching, schemes and buy-in are having a big impact right now. It's a combination of a lot of things right now, but, I would definitely argue the talent is not where it needs to be, and it could take time for the coaching to make up for those deficiencies IMO.

• Fire 1

If you read what I wrote, I never said anything about being happy with how we are playing. I was talking about the how the fan base is reacting. It used to be about the "boys", now it seems to be about the "fans". The "boys" don't play for us, they play for each other and the team. It used to be about "hard work and determination" now its about 9 wins.

Will we ever be great again, I don't know. However, we keep firing coaching staffs over and over, it will NEVER happen.

I think that's because, on paper, they are the most talented team in the division. Recruiting rankings alone verify this, depending on how much weight you put into them. I believe they're valuable in their own way. However, just because we're more talented doesn't mean we're exceptionally more talented or that we can take our talent for granted. Michigan has been one of the most talented teams in the B1G in recent years, but as we all saw, their coaching sucked.

And you're right, there aren't a lot of excuses for losing to Illinois, especially in the way we did. It was terrible game planning and clock management and that falls on the coaches.

But, there also wasn't any reason to lose Iowa State the way we did 2009, or them taking us into OT the following year. We've spent the last 14 or so years losing to teams we were "better than."

This is where I say the mental side of the game is being grossly undervalued by some people. If everything was about talent then Nebraska would win 10 games a year in this conference. We all know that's not true. The new coaching, schemes and buy-in are having a big impact right now. It's a combination of a lot of things right now, but, I would definitely argue the talent is not where it needs to be, and it could take time for the coaching to make up for those deficiencies IMO.

Another frequently overlooked issue with talent in this discussion is where it's at. We may have 7 wide recievers we like, but if we have only 1 or 2 defensive ends, or 1 cornerback then it doesn't much matter how deep we go at defensive tackle. I agree with you we have some coaching issues, which I personally mostly attribute to the transition. But it's also true we don't have talent necessarily at the positions where we need it, or in the depth we need. I mean, haven't we played three freshmen (2 true, 1 RS) at linebacker this year?

While I recognize we have areas we have failed in, I don't agree. Our receivers are catching more balls, QB play has been better for the most part and our tackling has been much better.

We have played a considerably harder non con schedule and although lost a couple of heartbreaks, showed we are right there and have not folded the tent up when things were going south. This team regardless of records, has not quit when things go bad like teams we have had in the recent past.

I guess we will agree to disagree on what we are seeing on the tube! Maybe the attitude we have when we watch the game plays a part in how we view it?

No offense, but our "harder" non-conference schedule is a joke. Miami and BYU aren't juggernauts by any means -- they're average, middle-of-the-road teams. Wisconsin is down this year; Illinois is despicable. If we were playing Bama and TCU or something and lost in competitive fashion it'd be different.