Riley Supporters Are Wrong

Redux

I agree that Riley is a good guy, but I also agree that we can and should fire him after one season.

The university signed a contract with him and should see the contract through, regardless of our W/L record. Look at Kirk Ferenz at Iowa (he had a few bad to average seasons and now they're undefeated and ranked #17)

Oh jeez....really?! They have had a very easy schedule and the season is only half over. Iowa has been nothing but mediocre for many, many years and will continue to be.

That sounds like Bo and his streak of "9 wins."

So here's a question for all you Bo haters that say he left no talent. When Riley said that this years team had more talent than his best team at OSU did he not know what he was talking about?

#boomroasted.

Very true. If this is more talent that he had at OSU and we are 2-4..... Or honestly, was he being nice and saying what we as a team and fans needed to hear. I don't think he would have come in and said "none of these guys would make the 2 deep at "insert school" here.

I am just at a loss as Bo and Co stunk, but won 9. Riley "should" be an upgrade on experience alone, but 6 games in, we look like a soup sandwich on the field...

You got it right with the bolded part.

This response in the article was interesting

Recruiting rankings from 2011-2015.

Florida is fielding players from #12, #3, #4, #8, and #23 ranked recruiting classes.

Michigan is fielding players from #21, #7, #5, #31, and #50 ranked recruiting classes.

Nebraska is fielding players from #15, #25, #17, #32 and #31

The difference is that Nebraska’s best class provides us with some redshirt seniors this year. However, of the stars in that class, Aaron Green transferred to TCU, Bubba Starling never enrolled opting to collect a $7 million check to play pro baseball, Mauro Bondi transferred to Hawaii, Ryan Klachko transferred to Illinois, Tyler Moore transferred to Florida, Todd Pete Jr transferred to a junior college, and finally Max Pirman and David Santos were kicked off the team.

The only players seeing the field from that class of seniors are:

Taariq Allen

Daniel Davie

Givens Price played one snap against South Alabama

Ryne Reeves

Zach Sterup saw snaps yesterday in place of injured Nick Gates

David Sutton was hurt against BYU and won’t be back until late november

Jamal Turner

Kevin Williams

I found this incredibly interesting so I looked up who the star players were that made up the other top 20 class to see who was still on the team.

Randy Gregory (left for the NFL)

Johnny Stanton (transferred to a juco)

Kevin Gladney (dismissed from the team)

Courtney Love (transferred to Kentucky)

Greg Hart (transferred to Kentucky)

Drake Martinez (transferred to Michigan State)

Earnest Suttles (dismissed from team and playing at Memphis)

also in that class currently in the program and getting significant time on the field:

Josh Banderas (out due to injury)

Kevin Maurice (out due to injury)

Kevin Williams (out due to injury)

So before you go spouting off about how easy Jim Harbaugh and Jim McElwain are making it look, just remember what Bo Pelini put in the cupboard.

I’ll take 4 losses by a total of 11 points over watching double digit losses to Ohio State (25), Wisconsin (31, 39, and 35), Iowa (21), Missouri (35), UCLA (20), Michigan State (13), Oklahoma (34), Minnesota (11), Georgia (14), South Carolina (17), Washington (12), Texas Tech (21), and Michigan (28) any day.

Yep Bo missed on 39% of his recruits which is why we have less talent than a place like Nebraska should have. Not to mention I am sure that it has played into our defense getting worn out in the 4th quarter since we don't have depth.
39% attrition is the national average. Your myth has already been debunked in another thread.
I don't think it's really a debunked myth. If you consistently recruit classes ranked in the 25-40 range and you have a 35-40% attrition rate on average, you aren't going to win championships. So Bo not only didn't have very good consistent recruiting classes, he had a lot of players leave. You are not going to win championships. And that's what it's really about.

Bo didn't lose a lot of players. He was pretty much right on the average. And his last 5 recruiting classes averaged #24. Michigan's last 5 classes averaged #23. And Michigan had a HIGHER attrition rate. (This is all in the "Recruiting and where they are" thread )

So does Michigan have enough talent to win a championship? Or do they just have a better coach?

Florida is fielding players from #12, #3, #4, #8, and #23 ranked recruiting classes.

Michigan is fielding players from #21, #7, #5, #31, and #50 ranked recruiting classes.

The difference is that Nebraska’s best class provides us with some redshirt seniors this year. However, of the stars in that class, Aaron Green transferred to TCU, Bubba Starling never enrolled opting to collect a $7 million check to play pro baseball, Mauro Bondi transferred to Hawaii, Ryan Klachko transferred to Illinois, Tyler Moore transferred to Florida, Todd Pete Jr transferred to a junior college, and finally Max Pirman and David Santos were kicked off the team.

Taariq Allen

Daniel Davie

Ryne Reeves

Jamal Turner

Kevin Williams

I found this incredibly interesting so I looked up who the star players were that made up the other top 20 class to see who was still on the team.

also in that class currently in the program and getting significant time on the field:

So before you go spouting off about how easy Jim Harbaugh and Jim McElwain are making it look, just remember what Bo Pelini put in the cupboard.

I’ll take 4 losses by a total of 11 points over watching double digit losses to Ohio State (25), Wisconsin (31, 39, and 35), Iowa (21), Missouri (35), UCLA (20), Michigan State (13), Oklahoma (34), Minnesota (11), Georgia (14), South Carolina (17), Washington (12), Texas Tech (21), and Michigan (28) any day.

Yep Bo missed on 39% of his recruits which is why we have less talent than a place like Nebraska should have. Not to mention I am sure that it has played into our defense getting worn out in the 4th quarter since we don't have depth.
39% attrition is the national average. Your myth has already been debunked in another thread.
I don't think it's really a debunked myth. If you consistently recruit classes ranked in the 25-40 range and you have a 35-40% attrition rate on average, you aren't going to win championships. So Bo not only didn't have very good consistent recruiting classes, he had a lot of players leave. You are not going to win championships. And that's what it's really about.

Bo didn't lose a lot of players. He was pretty much right on the average. And his last 5 recruiting classes averaged #24. Michigan's last 5 classes averaged #23. And Michigan had a HIGHER attrition rate. (This is all in the "Recruiting and where they are" thread )

So does Michigan have enough talent to win a championship? Or do they just have a better coach?

Michigan had the #6,4,20th class rankings the last 3 years with attrition not above 7% in any of those years.
  • Fire 1

Taariq Allen

Daniel Davie

Ryne Reeves

Jamal Turner

Kevin Williams

Michigan had the #6,4,20th class rankings the last 3 years with attrition not above 7% in any of those years.

How about their senior class and 5th year senior class where they should be getting most of their leadership?

Taariq Allen

Daniel Davie

Ryne Reeves

Jamal Turner

Kevin Williams

How about their senior class and 5th year senior class where they should be getting most of their leadership?
Moving the goalpost? Stay toxic, my friend.
  • Fire 1

Taariq Allen

Daniel Davie

Ryne Reeves

Jamal Turner

Kevin Williams

Try again. You were trying to move the goalposts. I just moved them back.

Taariq Allen

Daniel Davie

Ryne Reeves

Jamal Turner

Kevin Williams

Try again. You were trying to move the goalposts. I just moved them back.
You want to include Rich Rodriguez last class because it fits your toxic posting.
  • Fire 1

Jesus this thread is terrible. The same people that want Riley fired are the same ones that bash the players and boo at the games. You're doing nothing but hurting the program and making yourself look like an ass. It's a tough season so far, and luck hadn't been on your side like it has been in the past (see: 2012 season).

The truth is that the coaches aren't perfect and they're working with what they got. The players aren't perfect but they're fighting like hell to win. So get off your f'ing high horse and give them a chance.

sh#t like that article only sets the team back more and hurts the psyche of the players.

This.

Do a bit of venting if you need to. Point out some bad play calls, lack of execution, and penalties. And then stop. Bitching and moaning, moaning and bitching, and arguing with anyone who doesn't complain as much as you do and then bitching and moaning more does absolutely nothing productive or fun for anyone.

• Fire 3