Riley Supporters Are Wrong

Redux

I don't think anybody wonders if he still has it. He never had it. 05' was the last conference championship. This was back when the SEC wasn't the dominating conference. He quit winning conference championships the same time the SEC went on their crazy consecutive NC run. Coincidence? If we're going by the criteria listed in this thread, why in the heck didn't we go get Mack Brown? It's almost like they're clones.

It's easy to see that this is plainly based on personal dislike for the coach. You also apparently forgot the 2007 season, at the end of which many people felt Georgia was the best team in the country and should have played for the BCS championship.

It took 18 years for me to learn that Bob Stoops was being considered alongside Frank Solich in 1997, and that Osborne vetoed Stoops.

Might take years to learn the inside poop on our more recent hire, too.

But I can guarantee you that Shawn Eichorst did not wait until Bo Pelini's actual firing, then turn his laser focus to Mike Riley and only Mike Riley because Mike Riley is nice.

I'd be very surprised if inquires were not made to guys like RIcht or Bielema or McElwain or Tressell, or their representatives, to find out if further negotiations would be welcome, or if the likelihood of rejection recommended moving on and avoiding a public courtship.

The Bielema rumors were very intriguing. There were a lot of factors butting heads around that time, as I remember. The Riley hire was made in less than a week, so that says Eichorst probably had a short list and a guy in mind. But, why then did Bielema's name get thrown into the mix as a heavy favorite? FootballScoop isn't necessarily known for getting it right, but, they sure did seem convinced.

It would be fascinating to one day hear the full disclosure from the hiring process. It could shed a lot of light on our perceptions of the program vs. perceptions from the outside, especially if there was a struggle to find interested parties.

Wasn't it Mack Brown - then at UNC - and not Stoops?

Bielema probably took the "agent" tactic with this one. If there were other candidates or feelers reached out, they went through the list very quickly. Bielema in no way personifies what we seem to be going for here at Nebraska, so it made rather tenuous sense.

• Fire 1

Why wait until after a season or two just decide he's not our guy 6 games in. Just ignore the fact our d hasn't been healthy except when we had suspensions. Ignore that the play being called isn't properly ran several times a game. I'm not a moral victory fan but it was nice to actually play Wisconsin and not have the announcers break out the blowout material in the 3rd quarter.