Riley Supporters Are Wrong

Redux

I have no problem giving Riley another year; as a matter of fact I'd expect no less. But if this team doesn't show some drastic improvement in several facets in 2016, his seat will be on fire, as it should. Even so, I doubt Eichorst will do anything until Riley's contract is up, no matter how bad things may be. Hopefully Richt will be available by then :-)

I almost hope you get your wish. 07' will become the norm.

I have no problem giving Riley another year; as a matter of fact I'd expect no less. But if this team doesn't show some drastic improvement in several facets in 2016, his seat will be on fire, as it should. Even so, I doubt Eichorst will do anything until Riley's contract is up, no matter how bad things may be. Hopefully Richt will be available by then :-)

For the love of all that is Holy, Richt is NOT the answer. All he has done is underperform with top caliber recruits for years. He is the Georgian Mack Brown. You do not someone who underperforms with great recruits. You want someone who overperforms with middling recruits! Mediocrity is never the answer. Florida found that out with Muschamp. Others have learned the same.

I think most Nebraskans support the idea of fairness. And that means you give a new coach a few years to get his bearings and get things rolling. That's not being a "Riley Supporter," that's being a sane and rational person.

Disagree. Automatically giving someone x amount of time is being a blind supporter. Evaluating performance every day and acting accordingly is what a sane and rational person should do.

Should USC be giving Sarkisian the rest of his second season?

LOL....you are comparing our coach who has lost some games on the last play of the game to a coach with a bad drinking problem that has been found to have been drunk while performing the duties he was hired to do.

Wow....

Also, what you described is NOT what a sane and rational person does. What you described is what an emotional bi polar person does which causes that person to have irrational highs and lows.

Also....you are not Mike Riley's boss. So, your constant/every day evaluation means jack squat. Really....I hate breaking this to you....but, your constant complaining and criticizing doesn't do anything productive for the program. You might THINK you are the boss of the program so you need to point out every single thing that is going wrong constantly.....but...sorry to say, you're not. I hope you are able to take that news OK.

Good managers of a business don't even evaluate performance every single day and be critical of the people below them every single day without having a long term approach. If that were the case, every time someone hires a sales person and that sales person doesn't sell something the first day they are on the job they would be fired. THAT is irrational and it perfectly demonstrates the attitudes some people have had on the first part of the first season with this staff.

Whoosh, right over your head.

I didn't compare Riley to anybody. I was talking about generalities. Did Pat Haden say "We are sane and rational and we are giving every new coach at least 3 years no matter what?" No. Nobody does this. Everything is a constant evaluation.

I don't think Riley should be fired right now. I've never said he should. Now, if he goes winless with lots of blowout losses to finish the season, then I'll probably be on board with firing him after one season. If he keeps every game close and gets to 6-6 or maybe even 5-7, I probably would give him at least one more year.

But a sane and rational boss does not automatically give a coach x number of years no matter what. That was my point. They should constantly evaluate and act accordingly.

So...I take it you didn't take the news your not his boss well.

If Mark Richt is currently on the hot seat for failing to deliver in Georgia with tons of talent, what makes him so attractive for the Nebraska job? Our more mediocre level of expectation?

Honestly, he could be perfect for Nebraska. Sometimes a coach just needs a change of scenery and a new challenge.

But you don't know until you give him a chance. And that's where we are now with Riley.

How about just supporting the current coaching staff and players because common sense tells you they're not going anywhere any time soon?

Agreed...Mediocrity is our new reality - embrace it.

Making 20 threads about it should push us in the right direction, are you up for it?

Just because you want a championship doesn't mean allowing the steps needed to be taken to get there should be ignored. If you thought they were going to win a championship this year, you just set your expectations higher than the reality of it. It doesn't mean it won't be attained, so putting the cart before the horse, seems silly to me.

I think most Nebraskans support the idea of fairness. And that means you give a new coach a few years to get his bearings and get things rolling. That's not being a "Riley Supporter," that's being a sane and rational person.

Disagree. Automatically giving someone x amount of time is being a blind supporter. Evaluating performance every day and acting accordingly is what a sane and rational person should do.

LOL....you are comparing our coach who has lost some games on the last play of the game to a coach with a bad drinking problem that has been found to have been drunk while performing the duties he was hired to do.

Wow....

Also, what you described is NOT what a sane and rational person does. What you described is what an emotional bi polar person does which causes that person to have irrational highs and lows.

Also....you are not Mike Riley's boss. So, your constant/every day evaluation means jack squat. Really....I hate breaking this to you....but, your constant complaining and criticizing doesn't do anything productive for the program. You might THINK you are the boss of the program so you need to point out every single thing that is going wrong constantly.....but...sorry to say, you're not. I hope you are able to take that news OK.

Good managers of a business don't even evaluate performance every single day and be critical of the people below them every single day without having a long term approach. If that were the case, every time someone hires a sales person and that sales person doesn't sell something the first day they are on the job they would be fired. THAT is irrational and it perfectly demonstrates the attitudes some people have had on the first part of the first season with this staff.

I didn't compare Riley to anybody. I was talking about generalities. Did Pat Haden say "We are sane and rational and we are giving every new coach at least 3 years no matter what?" No. Nobody does this. Everything is a constant evaluation.

I don't think Riley should be fired right now. I've never said he should. Now, if he goes winless with lots of blowout losses to finish the season, then I'll probably be on board with firing him after one season. If he keeps every game close and gets to 6-6 or maybe even 5-7, I probably would give him at least one more year.

But a sane and rational boss does not automatically give a coach x number of years no matter what. That was my point. They should constantly evaluate and act accordingly.

Can someone translate this for me?

Wow....

Translation: Your constant bitching is frustrating people.

Wow....

Translation: Support the coach of your team and stop being toxic.