Riley Supporters Are Wrong

Redux

I'm still willing to take a shot at being better if it means taking lumps early on.

If there were any data whatsoever that indicated Mike Riley could be that guy, it would be fine.

Instead, it's heavily the opposite.

I can't really argue with you. There's a lot of hope surrounding Riley more so than substantive fact. I think there's two sides to this coin, though. Yeah, statistically, there's not a ton going in his favor. The flip side to this is, statistically, a lot of good and great coaches didn't exactly wow anyone at their previous positions at lower tier schools, and OSU is about as low as you can get. He may not have taken them all the way, but some of things he did are remarkable.

Look, Riley may one day get us to the point of competing fairly often for the Big10 west title, but will likely never do more than occasionally take us to the Big10 title game, and probably never win it. We will almost certainly never be in the national title hunt with him unless he fires his DC and gets one that is better than mediocre. But all the data says he won't and he won't hold his staff accountable for their failures.

He is not getting fired this year unless we get blown out in every game from here on out, which means he will get his shot to show what he can do. It seems that most are hoping for the best, and that is great, but the data we have says don't get your hopes up.

So good luck and I hope your optimism isn't misguided. Peace.

• Fire 1

Look, Riley may one day get us to the point of competing fairly often for the Big10 west title, but will likely never do more than occasionally take us to the Big10 title game, and probably never win it. We will almost certainly never be in the national title hunt with him unless he fires his DC and gets one that is better than mediocre. But all the data says he won't and he won't hold his staff accountable for their failures.

He is not getting fired this year unless we get blown out in every game from here on out, which means he will get his shot to show what he can do. It seems that most are hoping for the best, and that is great, but the data we have says don't get your hopes up.

his optimism is no different than your negative fortune telling

• Fire 2

I have the exact same doubts you do. I see the same facts you do. I simply choose to take a more positive approach then to immediately call for firings after half a season, under a new head coach, at a school that's been average and mediocre for the last 14 years.

This surprised barely anyone.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/ohio-state-buckeyes-michigan-st-spartans-wisconsin-badgers-big-ten-picks-predictions-2015-081115

Even I hoped for better, but we haven't gotten it and I am okay with it.

Even the article on www.trollitallfootball.com was contradicted by the author just a mere 3 months ago. If you were expecting more when the writing was on the wall for a tough season, it's more of a rose-colored glasses episode. I'll admit it that I drank the koolaid. However, some simple observations make it easier to live with. That and Bo Pelini isn't on the sideline calling me every name in the book.

I have no problem giving Riley another year; as a matter of fact I'd expect no less. But if this team doesn't show some drastic improvement in several facets in 2016, his seat will be on fire, as it should. Even so, I doubt Eichorst will do anything until Riley's contract is up, no matter how bad things may be. Hopefully Richt will be available by then :-)

For the love of all that is Holy, Richt is NOT the answer. All he has done is underperform with top caliber recruits for years. He is the Georgian Mack Brown. You do not someone who underperforms with great recruits. You want someone who overperforms with middling recruits! Mediocrity is never the answer. Florida found that out with Muschamp. Others have learned the same.

Richt has beaten Meyer, Saban, and Miles... what other coach can say that? He's won multiple conference titles. He hasn't been able to win it all, but that's no easy task, especially when you've gotta beat out the Bamas and Auburns and LSUs every year in order to make it. Not to mention he's a Nebraska boy and still has ties. Throw on top of that that he's an elite recruiter, and he has everything you could possibly want. I don't know why that's so hard for some people to see.

If we want to compete with the Georgia's of the world, we'd want to know why Georgia isn't happy with him.

Richt has had 3, 5, 2, 4, 7 and 5 loss seasons the past five years.

The people who merely slap resumes up against each other will tell you this is not a significant upgrade from Bo Pelini.

Good lord, the man LOST to Bo Pelini!

But like I said, Richt might be perfect for Nebraska.

Or not. Who knows?

None of these are no-brainers.

And we've already got a new coach.

I have no problem giving Riley another year; as a matter of fact I'd expect no less. But if this team doesn't show some drastic improvement in several facets in 2016, his seat will be on fire, as it should. Even so, I doubt Eichorst will do anything until Riley's contract is up, no matter how bad things may be. Hopefully Richt will be available by then :-)

For the love of all that is Holy, Richt is NOT the answer. All he has done is underperform with top caliber recruits for years. He is the Georgian Mack Brown. You do not someone who underperforms with great recruits. You want someone who overperforms with middling recruits! Mediocrity is never the answer. Florida found that out with Muschamp. Others have learned the same.

Richt has beaten Meyer, Saban, and Miles... what other coach can say that? He's won multiple conference titles. He hasn't been able to win it all, but that's no easy task, especially when you've gotta beat out the Bamas and Auburns and LSUs every year in order to make it. Not to mention he's a Nebraska boy and still has ties. Throw on top of that that he's an elite recruiter, and he has everything you could possibly want. I don't know why that's so hard for some people to see.

Beating certain coaches is pretty meaningless. Gene Chizik beat Saban and Miles, and also Mark Richt, Chip Kelly, Steve Spurrier and Bobby Petrino. And he did it all in the same year.

I'd also add Richt isn't necessarily a great recruiter; Georgia is just easy to recruit to.

For a guy that consistently recruits top 10 and top 5 classes his resume is lacking. Couldn't take advantage of a weak SEC East the last couple of years and hasn't won a conference championship since 2005. I like that he's from Nebraska, but besides that his teams consistently fall short of expectations.

Richt Is alright in my book,

If things don't work out with Riley.

A man of faith and a "Nebraska man".

If you hang around in the SEC long enough, as Richt has, you're bound to beat every coach in the league eventually. That's just sports. That doesn't mean anything. He's been the head coach at Georgia for almost 15 years.

That said, people who say Richt has underperformed have very short term memories. He's won multiple BCS bowls, has a 140-50 record, two SEC titles, six division titles and six Top 10 finishes. If that's underperforming then I'm curious what meeting expectations is?

Now, there are reasons not to like him. For example, he's never been able to get completely over the hump and play in a national title game. He also has a knack for losing when it matters most, for example, like he did against Alabama this season. They got completely routed and embarrassed at home. Granted, it was Alabama. Though, they were completely outcoached and outplayed. And it's been a long time since he won a conference title, so many wonder if he's still got it.

If he's ever fired from Georgia he'll likely be snapped up in a heartbeat. I mean if Richt and Riley had been available at the same time I guarantee most of this board would've looked at their resume's and chosen Richt.

It took 18 years for me to learn that Bob Stoops was being considered alongside Frank Solich in 1997, and that Osborne vetoed Stoops.

Might take years to learn the inside poop on our more recent hire, too.

But I can guarantee you that Shawn Eichorst did not wait until Bo Pelini's actual firing, then turn his laser focus to Mike Riley and only Mike Riley because Mike Riley is nice.

I'd be very surprised if inquires were not made to guys like RIcht or Bielema or McElwain or Tressell, or their representatives, to find out if further negotiations would be welcome, or if the likelihood of rejection recommended moving on and avoiding a public courtship.

I don't think anybody wonders if he still has it. He never had it. 05' was the last conference championship. This was back when the SEC wasn't the dominating conference. He quit winning conference championships the same time the SEC went on their crazy consecutive NC run. Coincidence? If we're going by the criteria listed in this thread, why in the heck didn't we go get Mack Brown? It's almost like they're clones.

It took 18 years for me to learn that Bob Stoops was being considered alongside Frank Solich in 1997, and that Osborne vetoed Stoops.

Might take years to learn the inside poop on our more recent hire, too.

But I can guarantee you that Shawn Eichorst did not wait until Bo Pelini's actual firing, then turn his laser focus to Mike Riley and only Mike Riley because Mike Riley is nice.

I'd be very surprised if inquires were not made to guys like RIcht or Bielema or McElwain or Tressell, or their representatives, to find out if further negotiations would be welcome, or if the likelihood of rejection recommended moving on and avoiding a public courtship.

Stoops was considered by who??? Solich was a done deal long before TO announced his retirement.

And I'm sure Pederhorst contacted other coaches, too. And likely got the same reaction that Urban Meyer gave Steve Eichorson back in '03.