We're going to run when we want to

Again while watching tonights game. Trent Dilfer explained how hard it is for Flacco to be on his 4th OC. Showed a play that was the exact same, but the terminology was completely different, the route trees were similar, but different enough to make it a "new play" even though Flaco had been running it for years (6). The progression was different and the hot read was what the previous #4 read would have been. Baltimore only has 75 of these plays.

With this in mind, no wonder TA looks baffled at times. If a Superbowl QB has issues imagine TA. A guy who is not a "typical" throwing QB, learning a different system that might be similar or light years apart.

• Fire 2

I tried telling people when Abdullah graduated. We were going to hit a point in the near future where we finally appreciated how great that cat really was. Welp folks, it's time you recognize.

For those who may or may not have a short memory, our running game under Pelini was solid before Abdullah. For whatever recruiting failures Pelini had, running back was not one of them.

Didn't say it wasn't good before Abdullah. I'm more concerned about after.

No running back was not a recruiting failure for Pelini, not ever. I can tell you an area that was though. Here's a hint: They block for the running back.

I agree.....problem for Riley is Pelini won ball games despite the recruiting failure.
knock this garbage off. Riley is a few plays from being 8-0

Bo was a few plays away from being 6-6/5-7 a couple times.

This is fact. So dont start the nonsense of trying to say there was a huge gap. There isnt.

• Fire 1

I tried telling people when Abdullah graduated. We were going to hit a point in the near future where we finally appreciated how great that cat really was. Welp folks, it's time you recognize.

For those who may or may not have a short memory, our running game under Pelini was solid before Abdullah. For whatever recruiting failures Pelini had, running back was not one of them.
Didn't say it wasn't good before Abdullah. I'm more concerned about after.

No running back was not a recruiting failure for Pelini, not ever. I can tell you an area that was though. Here's a hint: They block for the running back.

I agree.....problem for Riley is Pelini won ball games despite the recruiting failure.
knock this garbage off. Riley is a few plays from being 8-0

Bo was a few plays away from being 6-6/5-7 a couple times.

This is fact. So dont start the nonsense of trying to say there was a huge gap. There isnt.

There absolutely is a huge gap between a .700 winning percentage and a .500 winning percentage. Numbers are facts. Being a "few plays" away is speculation.

Again while watching tonights game. Trent Dilfer explained how hard it is for Flacco to be on his 4th OC. Showed a play that was the exact same, but the terminology was completely different, the route trees were similar, but different enough to make it a "new play" even though Flaco had been running it for years (6). The progression was different and the hot read was what the previous #4 read would have been. Baltimore only has 75 of these plays.

With this in mind, no wonder TA looks baffled at times. If a Superbowl QB has issues imagine TA. A guy who is not a "typical" throwing QB, learning a different system that might be similar or light years apart.

Langsdorf's passing game is way different than Beck's. And unlike Dilfer, Tommy is also a full-time college student and only allowed limited hours with the coaches.

Forget All-American, I don't see one lineman on offense that is an all-conference player. 1st or 2nd team. How are the Huskers supposed to have success running all of a sudden? I also do not see an all-conference RB on the team sooo.... :dunno

I love a good passing game. But again, the QB play is up and down too often. Nowhere near the level of the top guys in the B1G.

Not going to talk NFL because that's a different game with paid athletes.

Nick Bahe on 1620 The Zone kept saying over and over that Nebraska needs to "FIND" their running game. As if it's something you just stumble upon or stub your toe on while wondering around in the dark.

The sh#t doesn't just happen. You don't just FIND it. You've got to have the guys to do it.

If Terrell Newby, Imani Cross, or Nebraska's offensive line looked like a group that was gonna FIND the running game on Saturday, then those people don't know what the f#*k they're talking about. It wasn't happening.

I don't care if BoBo and Beck ran it for a bunch of yards with Ameer Abdullah last year with 2-3 of the worst offensive linemen I've ever seen in this program. Those guys weren't out there Saturday, and the guys that were didn't look much better. News Flash: None of them were named Ameer Abdullah either.

Didn't you just create a thread after the Minnesota game praising the Offensive line and Newby?

So last week that offensive line answered a lot of your questions that they get it but now after the Northwestern game that they don't get it.

• Fire 1

Langsdorf's passing game is way different than Beck's. And unlike Dilfer, Tommy is also a full-time college student and only allowed limited hours with the coaches.

Thats my point. Dilfer said thats why Falcco is struggling so bad. Now take a career 53% passer in TA, add in a new system, little time to learn and its a recipe for disaster. You'd think Eli Mannings QB coach would really limit the play book. Unsure where we are at with that, but TA looks worse as the season has progressed. I'd think an experienced staff would go as minimal as possible in the passing game and add little by little....

Nebraska has played well enough to win every game, but has managed to lose 5 of those games.

So some of us have to admit we have enough talent to have won all of our games, and some of us have to admit we are literally five plays from being undefeated.

You can blame Riley either way if you want, but there are a lot of moving parts to this snakebit season.

Forget All-American, I don't see one lineman on offense that is an all-conference player. 1st or 2nd team. How are the Huskers supposed to have success running all of a sudden? I also do not see an all-conference RB on the team sooo.... :dunno

I love a good passing game. But again, the QB play is up and down too often. Nowhere near the level of the top guys in the B1G.

Nick Bahe on 1620 The Zone kept saying over and over that Nebraska needs to "FIND" their running game. As if it's something you just stumble upon or stub your toe on while wondering around in the dark.

The sh#t doesn't just happen. You don't just FIND it. You've got to have the guys to do it.

If Terrell Newby, Imani Cross, or Nebraska's offensive line looked like a group that was gonna FIND the running game on Saturday, then those people don't know what the f#*k they're talking about. It wasn't happening.

I don't care if BoBo and Beck ran it for a bunch of yards with Ameer Abdullah last year with 2-3 of the worst offensive linemen I've ever seen in this program. Those guys weren't out there Saturday, and the guys that were didn't look much better. News Flash: None of them were named Ameer Abdullah either.

Didn't you just create a thread after the Minnesota game praising the Offensive line and Newby?

So last week that offensive line answered a lot of your questions that they get it but now after the Northwestern game that they don't get it.

So they can't look good against Minnesota and then not look like they were going to get anything going against Northwestern?

I don't get it?

I try to praise these guys whenever they play well. I thought we did a pretty good job against Minnesota.

I don't think we did a good job against Northwestern and again, it didn't appear to be getting much better as we went along.

I guess I don't understand the question.

Nebraska has played well enough to win every game, but has managed to lose 5 of those games.

So some of us have to admit we have enough talent to have won all of our games, and some of us have to admit we are literally five plays from being undefeated.

No disagreement. The issue is the teams we are not undefeated because of.......Illinois, Northwestern, Miami. Losing to Illinois is beyond bad. So we're "one play away" from winning that game. Impressive.

Thats my point. Dilfer said thats why Falcco is struggling so bad. Now take a career 53% passer in TA, add in a new system, little time to learn and its a recipe for disaster. You'd think Eli Mannings QB coach would really limit the play book. Unsure where we are at with that, but TA looks worse as the season has progressed. I'd think an experienced staff would go as minimal as possible in the passing game and add little by little....

I dunno. I think he looks like the same Tommy Armstrong from last year. That Tommy Armstrong looked worse as the season progressed, too. Until the Holiday Bowl when Beck let him go pass happy.

Tommy Armstrong has never looked unsure, and he doesn't look overwhelmed by the new system this year. If we are to believe he's allowed to improv on play calls before and after the snap, then he's out there doing what he really wants to do, which is be a superstar college quarterback who makes plays with his really strong arm or his really strong legs while leading miraculous comebacks that should have been settled earlier and often fall tragically short.

And if I'm reading the sideline correctly, the coaching staff often shares our frustration when Tommy makes passes that should have been runs or throwaways.

Tommy could use some discipline. But then he probably wouldn't be Tommy, and I think that's what he's fighting. Not a new system, but a coach that needs him to be something he's not. In that regard, Riley isn't much different from Beck.

I think the TV analysts have picked up on this, too. Tommy Armstrong is close to being really special. But you really needed to see more consistency in his Junior year.

I don't think the offensive system has changed or hindered him. But it would be interesting to see how a shut down defense would have changed both the game management and perception of Armstrong and Taylor Martinez.

• Fire 1

So they can't look good against Minnesota and then not look like they were going to get anything going against Northwestern?

I don't get it?

I try to praise these guys whenever they play well. I thought we did a pretty good job against Minnesota.

I don't think we did a good job against Northwestern and again, it didn't appear to be getting much better as we went along.

I guess I don't understand the question.

I don't know maybe it was your thread title "This play erased so many questions marks" and then you described how much the offensive line has improved dramatically with that 69 yard touchdown run by Newby clearly showed it and that they show the capabilities of improving as an offensive running team.

And then its a totally different story this week with the sentence I bolded above. You clearly stated that neither our running backs and offensive lineman were capable of running the ball. So one week our questions have been answered and a week later they haven't been answered.

So clearly not one TD run or game have answered all of our questions regarding our offensive running game. So its either we are a showing signs of growth running the football or not.

I guess that's what I'm trying to say. Maybe I've read what you've typed out wrong, I don't know, but that's what I've gathered so far from what you've posted

• Fire 1

I really thought we turned a corner in that Minnesota game. Tried to be a little bit positive about it in response to all the negativity on the board lately when I created that thread. I even kind of admitted I was being kind of a sunshine pumper haha!

That Minnesota game was really the first time all year I felt pretty good about what we did on the ground aside from some weaker opponents earlier in the season.

My comment above is following this week and was speaking more to the Northwestern game and really our future schedule. We weren't just going to find a running game against Northwestern and we may struggle just as much against MSU and Iowa.

It looks like the ability is there sometimes but against Northwestern no only did it not look like we had the ability, there is a lot of effort questions coming out of this game as well.

I do give Northwestern some credit as well. That DE is a baller. I think we made him look a little bit better than he actually is, but still he played a solid game.