We're going to run when we want to

I'll tell you exactly what it is, and I'll do so without resorting to name calling.

It's a total failure to understand how Eichorst could look at Mikey Riley's resume and even think for a minute he was qualified or capable of being the head football coach at the University of Nebraska.

Apparently some less savvy college football analysts disagreed with you.

(I know you don't like this list. I'm tired of reposting it, too. But Eichorst's choice wasn't the indefensible head-scratcher some make it out to be)

Rivals.com national recruiting director Mike Farrell tweeted that the hiring is a "home run."

"I don't think Huskers fans realize what a well-respected game coach Riley is and how hard it is to win in Corvallis," Farrell wrote.

Doug Gottlieb

@GottliebShow

Follow

If you don't like Mike Riley, that is a your problem. Congrats #Nebraska between Riley&Tim Miles 2of the most liked/respected in their sports

Damon Benning ‏@damonbenning

Amongst his peers, Mike Riley finished 2nd in an ESPN poll behind Cutcliffe as the most underrated coach in the country.

Kirk Herbstreit

@KirkHerbstreit

Follow

If it's done...great hire by @Huskers getting Mike Riley from Oregon State!!

Mike Farrell ‏@rivalsmike

I may be in the minority here but I like the Riley hire for #Huskers better than the McElwain hire for #Gators. Thoughts?

George Schroeder @GeorgeSchroeder ·

Just landed to news of Mike Riley to Nebraska. Truly stunning — but that is a GREAT hire.

Sam Ponder

@sam_ponder

Follow

LOVE that hire for Nebraska. Handful of coaches I'd want my kid to play for/learn from... Mike Riley's top 5 for sure.

9:46 AM - 4 Dec 2014

Brock Huard ‏@BrockESPN

No one in CFB I'd trust more with my son in his program than new NEB Coach Mike Riley. Judge this hire after you see the staff he assembles

Scott Shanle ‏@scottshanle

After hearing from many people who know Mike Riley personally I am optimistic about the future of @Huskers football.

Dan Hoppen ‏@danhoppen

Mike Riley was heavily rumored to replace Pete Carroll at USC in 2010, Dennis Franchione at Alabama in 2002. He must like NU’s prospects.

Aaron Taylor ‏@outland1997

Gut feeling that Mike Riley will be the Tim Miles for our football program. Congrats coach and welcome to the program.

Tom Lemming ‏@LemmingReport

Only time will tell but my guess is Mike Riley will bring Nebraska back to national prominence.

Joel Klatt

@joelklatt

Follow

I'm a huge fan of Mike Riley...yes, he is a wonderful person...he is also a GREAT football coach

10:25 AM - 4 Dec 2014

Sean Callahan ‏@Sean_Callahan

Another interesting tidbit about Mike Riley is he opened all practices at Oregon State to media and fans.

Also the fact USC courted him in 2011, and Alabama offered him their job in 2002 intrigues me on what drew him to make this move now?

Tommie Frazier ‏@TouchdownTommie

Good Hire by NU today.

Zach Hannon ‏@_HannonZach72

I stand behind you @Coach_Riley ! I love Coach Bo and all my coaches, now it's a new era. I'm a husker through and through. #GBR

Jay Glazer ‏@JayGlazer

"@CFBONFOX: NEWS: #Nebraska hires Oregon State's Mike Riley to replace Bo Pelini>>Good for Riley, one of the nicest guys I ever met in NFL

Mark McMillian ‏@MarkMcMillian29

If Mike Riley offered my son or any kid I coach I would send them in a heartbeat this man is all about the kids & families #GBR #Nebraska

Rich Kaipust ‏@RKaipustOWH

I liked this poll back in September because it was a vote of coaching peers -- and Mike Riley scored high on it http://es.pn/1Dc1ACC

Brian Christopherson ‏@HuskerExtraBC

Remember this when viewing Riley's record at OSU. MT @Hlas Oregon State had 28 straight losing football seasons, from '71 thru '98.

Jay Foreman ‏@foreman5655

A few things that will be different:player development and pro off!! That alone I'm cool with! Chips in!#HuskerNation

Greg Sharpe ‏@SharpeGreg

Excited to meet and work with @Coach_Riley can't wait to begin the next chapter of Husker Football. GBR!

John Bishop ‏@JohnBishop71

#Huskers could double Riley's OSU salary and still be on budget with last year. Look for assistant salary pool to be strong.

B. Reilly ‏@brandonreilly01

Idk why everyone's being so negative, give the guy a chance. I mean he has a solid last name that should count for something. Let's get it!

Jon Nyatawa ‏@JonNyatawa

“He has done more with less at Oregon St than almost any coach I know" -- former NU AD Bill Byrne

Jeremy Crabtree ‏@jeremycrabtree

#Pac12 assistant on Mike Riley: “Our recruiting jobs just got a lot easier. He was the best talent evaluator in the conference by far.”

danny woodhead

@danny__woodhead

Follow

Mike Riley was my coach at the hula bowl and thought he was a great guy #realexcitedaboutthehire

10:20 AM - 4 Dec 2014

Jordan Westerkamp @JordanWesty1

Follow

Looking forward to this new experience with @Coach_Riley GBR.

10:37 AM - 4 Dec 2014

Paul Myerberg

@PaulMyerberg

Follow

Mike Riley is the most optimistic, pleasant, gracious, accommodating HC in CFB. They'll absolutely love him in Nebraska.

Michael Rose-Ivey @Rose_IveyNB15

Follow

Got a coach finally. Let's get to work. If this is our guy to get us over that hump then I'm all for it! Time to start a new chapter !!

Prince Amukamara

@PrinceAmukamara

Follow

Welcome to the Husker family Coach Mike Riley! Go Big Red!

Jay Moore @jaymoore44

Follow

Now I'm really liking this hire #Huskers #GBR

10:44 AM - 4 Dec 2014

Dennis Dodd

@dennisdoddcbs

Follow

MIke Riley was always squeezing blood out of a tomato in Corvallis. More infrastructure at Neb. Love the hire.

9:54 AM - 4 Dec 2014

Mack Brown

@ESPN_CoachMack

Follow

Mike Riley is a great hire @ Neb. Super fit for both. Good job Huskers

Hip.Hip.Hooray.

You're the guy who wished we'd hired Jerry Kill.

The only Big 10 coach Mike Riley has beat.

So yeah. You got this college football thing down cold.

I'll tell you exactly what it is, and I'll do so without resorting to name calling.

It's a total failure to understand how Eichorst could look at Mikey Riley's resume and even think for a minute he was qualified or capable of being the head football coach at the University of Nebraska.

(I know you don't like this list. I'm tired of reposting it, too. But Eichorst's choice wasn't the indefensible head-scratcher some make it out to be)

Rivals.com national recruiting director Mike Farrell tweeted that the hiring is a "home run."

"I don't think Huskers fans realize what a well-respected game coach Riley is and how hard it is to win in Corvallis," Farrell wrote.

Doug Gottlieb

@GottliebShow

Follow

If you don't like Mike Riley, that is a your problem. Congrats #Nebraska between Riley&Tim Miles 2of the most liked/respected in their sports

Amongst his peers, Mike Riley finished 2nd in an ESPN poll behind Cutcliffe as the most underrated coach in the country.

Kirk Herbstreit

@KirkHerbstreit

Follow

I may be in the minority here but I like the Riley hire for #Huskers better than the McElwain hire for #Gators. Thoughts?

Just landed to news of Mike Riley to Nebraska. Truly stunning — but that is a GREAT hire.

Sam Ponder

@sam_ponder

Follow

LOVE that hire for Nebraska. Handful of coaches I'd want my kid to play for/learn from... Mike Riley's top 5 for sure.

Brock Huard ‏@BrockESPN

No one in CFB I'd trust more with my son in his program than new NEB Coach Mike Riley. Judge this hire after you see the staff he assembles

After hearing from many people who know Mike Riley personally I am optimistic about the future of @Huskers football.

Dan Hoppen ‏@danhoppen

Mike Riley was heavily rumored to replace Pete Carroll at USC in 2010, Dennis Franchione at Alabama in 2002. He must like NU’s prospects.

Gut feeling that Mike Riley will be the Tim Miles for our football program. Congrats coach and welcome to the program.

Only time will tell but my guess is Mike Riley will bring Nebraska back to national prominence.

Joel Klatt

@joelklatt

Follow

I'm a huge fan of Mike Riley...yes, he is a wonderful person...he is also a GREAT football coach

Another interesting tidbit about Mike Riley is he opened all practices at Oregon State to media and fans.

Also the fact USC courted him in 2011, and Alabama offered him their job in 2002 intrigues me on what drew him to make this move now?

Good Hire by NU today.

I stand behind you @Coach_Riley ! I love Coach Bo and all my coaches, now it's a new era. I'm a husker through and through. #GBR

Jay Glazer ‏@JayGlazer

"@CFBONFOX: NEWS: #Nebraska hires Oregon State's Mike Riley to replace Bo Pelini>>Good for Riley, one of the nicest guys I ever met in NFL

If Mike Riley offered my son or any kid I coach I would send them in a heartbeat this man is all about the kids & families #GBR #Nebraska

I liked this poll back in September because it was a vote of coaching peers -- and Mike Riley scored high on it http://es.pn/1Dc1ACC

Remember this when viewing Riley's record at OSU. MT @Hlas Oregon State had 28 straight losing football seasons, from '71 thru '98.

A few things that will be different:player development and pro off!! That alone I'm cool with! Chips in!#HuskerNation

Greg Sharpe ‏@SharpeGreg

Excited to meet and work with @Coach_Riley can't wait to begin the next chapter of Husker Football. GBR!

#Huskers could double Riley's OSU salary and still be on budget with last year. Look for assistant salary pool to be strong.

Idk why everyone's being so negative, give the guy a chance. I mean he has a solid last name that should count for something. Let's get it!

Jon Nyatawa ‏@JonNyatawa

“He has done more with less at Oregon St than almost any coach I know" -- former NU AD Bill Byrne

#Pac12 assistant on Mike Riley: “Our recruiting jobs just got a lot easier. He was the best talent evaluator in the conference by far.”

danny woodhead

@danny__woodhead

Follow

Mike Riley was my coach at the hula bowl and thought he was a great guy #realexcitedaboutthehire

Follow

Paul Myerberg

@PaulMyerberg

Follow

Mike Riley is the most optimistic, pleasant, gracious, accommodating HC in CFB. They'll absolutely love him in Nebraska.

Follow

Got a coach finally. Let's get to work. If this is our guy to get us over that hump then I'm all for it! Time to start a new chapter !!

Prince Amukamara

@PrinceAmukamara

Follow

Jay Moore @jaymoore44

Follow

Dennis Dodd

@dennisdoddcbs

Follow

MIke Riley was always squeezing blood out of a tomato in Corvallis. More infrastructure at Neb. Love the hire.

Mack Brown

@ESPN_CoachMack

Follow

Hip.Hip.Hooray.

Jerry Kill? Seriously? Good lord.

Doug Gottlieb

@GottliebShow

Follow

Kirk Herbstreit

@KirkHerbstreit

Follow

Sam Ponder

@sam_ponder

Follow

Brock Huard ‏@BrockESPN

Dan Hoppen ‏@danhoppen

Joel Klatt

@joelklatt

Follow

Good Hire by NU today.

Jay Glazer ‏@JayGlazer

Greg Sharpe ‏@SharpeGreg

Jon Nyatawa ‏@JonNyatawa

danny woodhead

@danny__woodhead

Follow

Follow

Paul Myerberg

@PaulMyerberg

Follow

Follow

Prince Amukamara

@PrinceAmukamara

Follow

Jay Moore @jaymoore44

Follow

Dennis Dodd

@dennisdoddcbs

Follow

Mack Brown

@ESPN_CoachMack

Follow

Hip.Hip.Hooray.

Jerry Kill is one of about 20 coaches who, not only would have been a better choice than Riley, but also wouldn't have required Google.

Doug Gottlieb

@GottliebShow

Follow

Kirk Herbstreit

@KirkHerbstreit

Follow

Sam Ponder

@sam_ponder

Follow

Brock Huard ‏@BrockESPN

Dan Hoppen ‏@danhoppen

Joel Klatt

@joelklatt

Follow

Good Hire by NU today.

Jay Glazer ‏@JayGlazer

Greg Sharpe ‏@SharpeGreg

Jon Nyatawa ‏@JonNyatawa

danny woodhead

@danny__woodhead

Follow

Follow

Paul Myerberg

@PaulMyerberg

Follow

Follow

Prince Amukamara

@PrinceAmukamara

Follow

Jay Moore @jaymoore44

Follow

Dennis Dodd

@dennisdoddcbs

Follow

Mack Brown

@ESPN_CoachMack

Follow

Of course people in the media love him. He's nice to the media, people in the industry love coaches/athletes who are open and nice in their interviews. It's like in baseball, some writers don't vote for certain players in the Hall of Fame because they didn't like their attitude in interviews i.e. Ricky Henderson. As for the bolded part, when he hired Banker most of us knew this wouldn't end well.

I wanted Gary Patterson or Paul Johnson once upon a time and felt strongly we should get someone with HC experience. I also thought Charlie Strong should have gotten an interview way back when those names were bandied about. I didn't have any names picked out for the most recent hire but I was hoping we'd bring someone here who'd install a great defense and power running game. I don't have any stats from before JK got to Minnesota but apparently he just retired anyway so...

Doug Gottlieb

@GottliebShow

Follow

Kirk Herbstreit

@KirkHerbstreit

Follow

Sam Ponder

@sam_ponder

Follow

Brock Huard ‏@BrockESPN

Dan Hoppen ‏@danhoppen

Joel Klatt

@joelklatt

Follow

Good Hire by NU today.

Jay Glazer ‏@JayGlazer

Greg Sharpe ‏@SharpeGreg

Jon Nyatawa ‏@JonNyatawa

danny woodhead

@danny__woodhead

Follow

Follow

Paul Myerberg

@PaulMyerberg

Follow

Follow

Prince Amukamara

@PrinceAmukamara

Follow

Jay Moore @jaymoore44

Follow

Dennis Dodd

@dennisdoddcbs

Follow

Mack Brown

@ESPN_CoachMack

Follow

Hip.Hip.Hooray.

Jerry Kill is one of about 20 coaches who, not only would have been a better choice than Riley, but also wouldn't have required Google.

Jerry Kill still doesn't pass the crucial ".500" criteria you use to define Riley, and the point of my posting that long list is that college football analysts probably know more about college football than a disgruntled Husker fan who wanted us to hire someone he would recognize, which likely wouldn't have included any coach available or willing to take the job.

Doug Gottlieb

@GottliebShow

Follow

Kirk Herbstreit

@KirkHerbstreit

Follow

Sam Ponder

@sam_ponder

Follow

Brock Huard ‏@BrockESPN

Dan Hoppen ‏@danhoppen

Joel Klatt

@joelklatt

Follow

Good Hire by NU today.

Jay Glazer ‏@JayGlazer

Greg Sharpe ‏@SharpeGreg

Jon Nyatawa ‏@JonNyatawa

danny woodhead

@danny__woodhead

Follow

Follow

Paul Myerberg

@PaulMyerberg

Follow

Follow

Prince Amukamara

@PrinceAmukamara

Follow

Jay Moore @jaymoore44

Follow

Dennis Dodd

@dennisdoddcbs

Follow

Mack Brown

@ESPN_CoachMack

Follow

Of course people in the media love him. He's nice to the media, people in the industry love coaches/athletes who are open and nice in their interviews. It's like in baseball, some writers don't vote for certain players in the Hall of Fame because they didn't like their attitude in interviews i.e. Ricky Henderson. As for the bolded part, when he hired Banker most of us knew this wouldn't end well.

The national recruiting director of Rivals calling the Riley hire a "home run" is not about niceness, it's about the guy who lures good athletes away from flashier programs. When former football players say there's no one they'd trust their son to more than Mike Riley, that's not about niceness, that's about professionalism.

And a couple endorsements aren't about the media at all, but simply reporting the fact that a poll of coaching peers chose Riley as the second most underrated coach in college football. If you're in Nebraska's position, securing the coach that fellow coaches consider "underrated" and bringing him to a program with better resources isn't about niceness, it's a pretty smart move.

And for the "most of us knew this wouldn't end well" don't worry. It hasn't ended at all. You will have to live with Mike Riley for another few seasons, as he recruits new players and gets his own locker room. The current one seems a bit fractured.

Will things get better, or is this truly Mike Riley's ceiling?

If you had to put money on it?

I don't know myself. So I continue to watch each game with interest and hope.

And a couple endorsements aren't about the media at all, but simply reporting the fact that a poll of coaching peers chose Riley as the second most underrated coach in college football. If you're in Nebraska's position, securing the coach that fellow coaches consider "underrated" and bringing him to a program with better resources isn't about niceness, it's a pretty smart move.

How about a proven coach?

We are Nebraska.

"Most underrated" coaches are for places like Colorado.

Doug Gottlieb

@GottliebShow

Follow

Kirk Herbstreit

@KirkHerbstreit

Follow

Sam Ponder

@sam_ponder

Follow

Brock Huard ‏@BrockESPN

Dan Hoppen ‏@danhoppen

Joel Klatt

@joelklatt

Follow

Good Hire by NU today.

Jay Glazer ‏@JayGlazer

Greg Sharpe ‏@SharpeGreg

Jon Nyatawa ‏@JonNyatawa

danny woodhead

@danny__woodhead

Follow

Follow

Paul Myerberg

@PaulMyerberg

Follow

Follow

Prince Amukamara

@PrinceAmukamara

Follow

Jay Moore @jaymoore44

Follow

Dennis Dodd

@dennisdoddcbs

Follow

Mack Brown

@ESPN_CoachMack

Follow

Hip.Hip.Hooray.

Jerry Kill still doesn't pass the crucial ".500" criteria you use to define Riley, and the point of my posting that long list is that college football analysts probably know more about college football than a disgruntled Husker fan who wanted us to hire someone he would recognize, which likely wouldn't have included any coach available or willing to take the job.

Except for the fact Kill has a career .600 record....

• Fire 1