Margin of defeat

dergibog

Just an observation:

This season we have 5 losses by a total of 13 points

In 2014 we lost 4 games by a total of 47 points including a 35 point blowout

In 2013 we lost 4 games by a total of 68 points

In 2012 we lost 4 games by a total of 84 points including 25 point and 39 point blowouts

In 2011 we lost 4 games by a total of 79 points with 31 and 28 point losses

In 2010 we lost 4 games by a total of 25 points (7,3,3,12)

In 2009 we lost 4 games by a total of 25 points (1, 21, by 2 to Iowa St, and 1 in the last second)

In 2008 we lost 4 games by a total of 80 points with 35 point and 34 point blowouts

The way I feel right now, I guess I see us as really close. We aren't getting blown out (yet),

• Fire 2

Close losses are not an indication that they may turn into wins.

And NU hasn't faced a team as good as any of the teams that beat NU big in the past few years.

You've been lambasting this over and over in every thread you comment on and it's simply not proven yet. The sample size is large enough to know that they're not beating bottom dwellers but as it stands all their losses have been to teams with 3 losses or fewer and they've only played one team with a losing record.

• Fire 2

No offense OP, but I'm so damn tired of seeing this thrown out there. The teams we've lost to were the gimme teams that we didn't even consider losing to last year or before. What was the margin of defeat for Miami last year, or for Illinois the last two years? How bad do you think Michigan State and Iowa scores will be. My guess, we'll have lost 7 games by a total of 93 points this year, with Iowa (yeah friggin Iowa who needed our 3rd string team to play two years ago to get their first win against us in how long) and Michigan State (Bo always seemed to have their number) Dropping a margin of defeat of 40 points each on us.

I'm admittedly a Riley doubter, but I pray for him and the team to have success every single game and am giving him the same chance I gave Pelini and Callahan, but damn people, please quit trying to justify loosing to the worst Wisconsin team in a decade, a mediocre at best BYU team, a Miami team that FIRED their coach mid-season, Illinois (freaking Illinois with their INTERIM coach, and Northwestern (after Iowa and Michigan destroyed them) by saying it was "ONLY by 13 points." If losing to those teams is being "really close," then every team that manhandled them like we should have is still that much farther ahead of us.

This has been a terrible season, at least 3 of the losses are on the staff, and that doesn't leave me much room for optimism. WE ARE NOT CLOSE right now, and I don't know that this staff will get us there, but pray every game for a single sign they can. I got stupid and hopeful after Minny. Stupid me.

Oh and what the heck happened to the QB guru O.C. that was supposed to fix Tommy. He has played worse every single game. What happened to not pounding a square peg into a round hole. We're doing it on both offense and defense. Sorry for finally spouting off my frustration, and thanks for not crucifying me.

Peace.

And NU hasn't faced a team as good as any of the teams that beat NU big in the past few years.

You've been lambasting this over and over in every thread you comment on and it's simply not proven yet. The sample size is large enough to know that they're not beating bottom dwellers but as it stands all their losses have been to teams with no fewer than 3 losses and they've only played one team with a losing record.

I'm thinking you've misread this and many of my other posts if you think I'm defending Riley's product.

No offense OP, but I'm so damn tired of seeing this thrown out there. The teams we've lost to were the gimme teams that we didn't even consider losing to. What was the magin of defeat for Miami last year, or for Illinois the last two years? How bad do you think Michigan State and Iowa scores will be. My guess, we'll have lost 7 games by a total of 93 points this year, with Iowa (yeah friggin Iowa who needed our 3rd string team to play two years ago to get their first win against us in how long) and Michigan State (Bo always seemed to have their number) Dropping a margin of defeat of 40 points each on us.

I'm admittedly a Riley doubter, but I pray for him and the team to have success every single game and am giving him the same chance I gave Pelini and Callahan, but damn people, please quit trying to justify loosing to the worst Wisconsin team in a decade, a mediocre at best BYU team, a Miami team that FIRED their coach mid-season, Illinois (freaking Illinois with their INTERIM coach, and Northwestern (after Iowa and Michigan destroyed them) by saying it was "ONLY by 13 points" if losing to those teams is being "really close," then every team that manhandled them like we should have is still that much farther ahead of us.

This has been a terrible season, at least 3 of the losses are on the staff, and that doesn't leave me much room for optimism. WE ARE NOT CLOSE right now, and I don't know that this staff will get us there, but pray every game for a single sign they can. I got stupid and hopeful after Minny. Stupid me.

Oh and what the heck happened to the QB guru O.C. that was supposed to fix Tommy. He has played worse every single game. What happened to not pounding a square peg into a round hole. We're doing it on both offense and defense. Sorry for finally spouting off my frustration, and thanks for not crucifying me.

Peace.

1. 10 points

2. 26 and both years their starting QB and RB either didn't start or missed most of the game to injury.

3. They beat Nebraska's "3rd string" by 21 points on our own field.

4. It's "losing". I'm going to correct every person from here on out that cannot come to terms with spelling it correctly.

5. They've lost to two top 15 teams so far.

6. A 2-loss team with losses to top 25 teams and should be favored in all their remaining games.

7. Every single loss has been due to player execution and the defense being unable to stop the winning score. This is not debatable. All the play calls were the right calls. They have to execute the call. Ifs and buts candy and nuts.

8. Tommy is better. Lots better. He doesn't have the luxury of Ameer Abdullah anymore. He's the focus now and is performing above the fray considering how much he's had to learn and change. Could he be better? Of course, but stop selling the most competitive guy on the team, short.

9. Nobody said this was going to be a breeze. If you thought it was gonna be easy, then it's more of a you problem than a team problem.

You've been lambasting this over and over in every thread you comment on and it's simply not proven yet. The sample size is large enough to know that they're not beating bottom dwellers but as it stands all their losses have been to teams with no fewer than 3 losses and they've only played one team with a losing record.

I'm thinking you've misread this and many of my other posts if you think I'm defending Riley's product.

I know you're not. That's my point. You're regurgitating substance-less fodder.

Then your post calling me makes no sense (or works against you... "no fewer than 3 losses"... each of those should have 4 losses)

You can go 6-6 and only lose those 6 by a total of 15 points.

Fact of the matter: Great teams and coaches don't come up on the short end in those close games.

Did you think this was a great team? What evidence did you have to support this squad was a great team?

Even great coaches can appear mediocre without the proper pieces in place.

Then your post calling me makes no sense (or works against you... "no fewer than 3 losses"... each of those should have 4 losses)

apologies, I stated that incorrectly. Have 3 losses or fewer.

No offense OP, but I'm so damn tired of seeing this thrown out there. The teams we've lost to were the gimme teams that we didn't even consider losing to last year or before. What was the margin of defeat for Miami last year, or for Illinois the last two years? How bad do you think Michigan State and Iowa scores will be. My guess, we'll have lost 7 games by a total of 93 points this year, with Iowa (yeah friggin Iowa who needed our 3rd string team to play two years ago to get their first win against us in how long) and Michigan State (Bo always seemed to have their number) Dropping a margin of defeat of 40 points each on us.

Just because Illinois, Michigan State, Miami, and Iowa have the same names as they did last year, doesn't make them the same teams.

Bo had the "numbers" of 2011 and 2012 Michigan State, with the second one having a huge benefit of a poorly called PI penalty at the end of the game. Bo did not have the numbers of 2013 and 2014 Michigan State. Being 2-2 is hardly having a team's number.

2013 Iowa beat us pretty soundly, and they weren't very good. 2011, 2012, and 2014 Iowa also weren't very good, and we closely squeaked wins out against those teams.

Time will tell how badly we lose to a VERY good 2015 Iowa team, and a VERY good 2015 Michigan State team, if we lose at all, but losing to those teams exists in it's own world, independent of our previous teams playing their previous teams.

• Fire 2

No offense OP, but I'm so damn tired of seeing this thrown out there. The teams we've lost to were the gimme teams that we didn't even consider losing to last year or before.

2011- Lost 28-25 to Northwestern

2012 - Lost 36-30 to UCLA (Oregon State beat UCLA two weeks later)

2012- Won 29-28 to Northwestern (what's this about gimme teams we didn't even consider losing to before?) I sure considered it a possibility that day.

2012 - Lost 70-31 to Wisconsin (we lost to them this year, they've never been a gimme team)

2013 - Won 37-34 to Wyoming (boy that sure seems like a gimme team that I considered losing as a real possibility)

2013 - Lost 34-23 to Minnesota (uh oh, here's another counter punch to the bogus claim that the "teams we've lost to were the gimme teams we didn't even consider losing to last year or before")

2013- Won 27-24 to Northwestern (close call for a gimme team we never considered losing to before)

2014 - Won 31-24 to McNeese St. (gimme team? or no? depends on the agenda I guess)

I've done enough already to completely debunk that garbage you typed. Don't come to Huskerboard and make up fairyland garbage. We got enough people doing that here already.

• Fire 1