Worst loss in Husker history?

QMany

The worst I've ever witnessed was 62-36 vs. Colorado. However, that win didn't cripple us on a national level.

Today's loss is about as bad as it gets. Only thing worse would be losing to a D-2 school... fortunately we don't have any of those on our schedule next season.

Thanks to Ameer or McNeese State would be on this list. I also vote for the 62-36 to Colorado because that was the first of many ass whippings to come over the next 14 years. That is the day that the Nebraska football that we all knew and loved died. It was also the game when we knew that Frank wasn't going to cut it and we have been looking for an identity and competent coaching staff since.

"Knew"

Really? A bad loss causes you to "know" that Frank wasn't going to cut it despite his overall record and experience.

Interesting.

If that's the case, how do we not already know that Riley won't cut it?

Ok maybe not that game, but after the next year we knew it when the last of Tom's players graduated in 2001 and we needed to beat McNeese State to make a bowl game with the team with just the talent that Frank recruited. But you could tell that something was not right after CU and Miami beat us by a combined score of 99-50.

He doesn't seem to be the right guy at the moment. The only excuse that he has on his side is that there are still a lot of butthurt players that never bought in and would rather fight their teammates than the players on the other team. Combine that with terrible depth in both lines and LB's and you have the makings of what we see now. I think he will get at least three years, but it isn't looking like he is the guy, i guess we can only hope that he recruits well and leaves talent like BC did for Bo and is the guy before "the guy."

Look back at Bo's roster in 2008. Look at who was starting at LB.

So much myth and misunderstanding around Husker football.

This team has plenty of talent and passion. What we lack is a coaching staff with the ability to utilize it. That's no ones fault but the coaches and admins who hired them.

You may want to look at that entire defense not to mention the rest of the team and see how much more talent there was. I think it is you who is misunderstood. The DL destroys this one with names like Suh, Allen, Steinkuhler, Potter, and Crick. Dillard (and it is also debatable that so are the rest of the LB's) is better than any LB we have now. Asante runs circles around Gerry who can't do anything right. Look on the depth chart and you will see names like Amukamara, Hagg, Dennard, Thenarse, Who do we have now that compares to those guys.

http://www.huskermax.com/games/2008/files/depth_current.html

This team is devoid of depth and with no pass rush DE's and LB's it is killing the CB's. There is very little talent on this defense (team) and it is showing. There is also a bunch of players that are butthurt about Bo being fired and are anything but passionate about wining games. Those are the ones that need to GTFO of Lincoln and go to YSU if that is what they want to do. But they need to stop poisoning this team with their antics.

The funniest comparison is at kicker. Bo was left with Henery and turned that position into Brown. Talk about a fall from grace.

2007 to Oklahoma State was always the one that stung for me.

I had that same helpless feeling watching this game.

Ha! That's funny you say that. I texted my buddy that during the game. I hadn't felt like this since the Oklahoma State game in 2007. Of course then were were 2 years out of high school and back home that weekend. We decided to chase turkeys around town with a golf cart instead of watch the second half that day.

Walking to the stadium that day I was walking through the North Stadium parking lot and an older gentleman at a tailgate we passed said "We gonna win today?" My reply was "Hopefully." He was taken aback by that answer and asked "What kind of answer is that from a Husker fan?" "A realistic one" was my reply. I stayed for the entire game, stretching out in the vast emptiness that was my section, and after the game I made sure to walk by that spot and he was long gone by that point. That was a terrible day in Husker nation...this may have been worse.

This team has plenty of talent and passion. What we lack is a coaching staff with the ability to utilize it. That's no ones fault but the coaches and admins who hired them.

You may want to look at that entire defense not to mention the rest of the team and see how much more talent there was. I think it is you who is misunderstood. The DL destroys this one with names like Suh, Allen, Steinkuhler, Potter, and Crick. Dillard (and it is also debatable that so are the rest of the LB's) is better than any LB we have now. Asante runs circles around Gerry who can't do anything right. Look on the depth chart and you will see names like Amukamara, Hagg, Dennard, Thenarse, Who do we have now that compares to those guys.

This team is devoid of depth and with no pass rush DE's and LB's it is killing the CB's. There is very little talent on this defense (team) and it is showing. There is also a bunch of players that are butthurt about Bo being fired and are anything but passionate about wining games. Those are the ones that need to GTFO of Lincoln and go to YSU if that is what they want to do. But they need to stop poisoning this team with their antics.

The funniest comparison is at kicker. Bo was left with Henery and turned that position into Brown. Talk about a fall from grace.

Bo turned all those guys into NFL talent. In case you forget, this was what they were doing in 2007:nice-hole.jpg

We may not have as much talent on the roster, but we damn sure have better players than the likes of Illinois, Northwestern, and friggin' Purdue. And let's spare the injury excuse, because look at Wisconsin. They're just as banged up as us, and are still winning games.

And the kicker dig is just outright wrong. Our current special teams "coach" is a disaster, both coverage units are worse, PR is worse (though DPE is injured), and KR's are way worse, with the lone bright spot being Drew Brown, a legacy recruit that everyone was excited about.

The players/talent/depth aren't why we're throwing the ball 50 times with a walk on QB against the worst Rush Defense in the country.

I'm trying to think of a worse team that beat Nebraska, and I can't. ISU 92 and maybe Syracuse are the only two close at least in my lifetime.

Heck, Illinois may have been a worse loss.

But nothing is worse than the NU loss to KU under Callahan. That was the worst since devaney.

Huskers were in the Top 15 last year and a few points shy of beating a very good Michigan St team and breaking the Top 10. One year ago. Have we already forgot?

People forgot about that after two weeks. Nebraska made it's bed, now it has to lay in it....

I made the comments to a buddy, who really hated Pelini, after conversations if he should be fired or not. I didn't necessarily feel he should have been fired because it would leave Eichorst zero room for a bad hire. My buddy feels that Pelini would have the same record as Riley does now. This will never be proven one way or the other, but lets pretend he's right. If Pelini imploded this year, there would be zero argument for keeping him. Eichorst wanted to try to ride the small ripple of Pelini's momemtum and pulled the trigger. Eichorst gambled, and lost. Oh well.....

And yet all that "obvious" D talent in '08 was lit the F up in '07 and no one expected good things from them. Coaching matters. If Bo were still here, new guys would be emerging as playmakers just like they did every year he coached going back to D Williams.

And your kicker comment is idiotic. Both were walkons. Both have been excellent.

I'm trying to think of a worse team that beat Nebraska, and I can't. ISU 92 and maybe Syracuse are the only two close at least in my lifetime.

But nothing is worse than the NU loss to KU under Callahan. That was the worst since devaney.

Huskers were in the Top 15 last year and a few points shy of beating a very good Michigan St team and breaking the Top 10. One year ago. Have we already forgot?

People forgot about that after two weeks. Nebraska made it's bed, now it has to lay in it....

I made the comments to a buddy, who really hated Pelini, after conversations if he should be fired or not. I didn't necessarily feel he should have been fired because it would leave Eichorst zero room for a bad hire. My buddy feels that Pelini would have the same record as Riley does now. This will never be proven one way or the other, but lets pretend he's right. If Pelini imploded this year, there would be zero argument for keeping him. Eichorst wanted to try to ride the small ripple of Pelini's momemtum and pulled the trigger. Eichorst gambled, and lost. Oh well.....

Exactly. I'll never understand the rush to fire pelini. If this year was doomed to failure, then one year would have given NU more credibility.

Personally, I agree with those who have stated that Pederhorst was hired for the purpose of firing Pelini, and he only got headed off in '13 by TO and some regents.

Eichorst needs to go. Now. Like yesterday.

Exactly. I'll never understand the rush to fire pelini. If this year was doomed to failure, then one year would have given NU more credibility.

Personally, I agree with those who have stated that Pederhorst was hired for the purpose of firing Pelini, and he only got headed off in '13 by TO and some regents.

Eichorst needs to go. Now. Like yesterday.

The rush to fire Pelini?

The release of secret-f#*k-you-tape-#2 should put to rest any doubts he needed to be fired, yet here you are defending him and questioning that decision.

Why did you suddenly show up again on Huskerboard? Did you get permanently banned from that other forum, or are you just looking for a new group of people who haven't figured out your game yet?

And yet all that "obvious" D talent in '08 was lit the F up in '07 and no one expected good things from them. Coaching matters. If Bo were still here, new guys would be emerging as playmakers just like they did every year he coached going back to D Williams.

And your kicker comment is idiotic. Both were walkons. Both have been excellent.

Way to try to change the argument. Nobody has questioned how well Bo has done with other coaches players. This was about the lack of talent he left upon getting fired. I would like to know where these "playmakers" would be coming from because they are not on the active roster.

You think Brown has been "excellent?" That is laughable.

I would like to know where these "playmakers" would be coming from because they are not on the active roster.

A player isn't a finished product when he signs his letter of intent. So if the "playmakers" aren't there now, then it's because nobody THIS year has made them into "playmakers".

Just because Riley hasn't done much with this bunch of players doesn't mean that nobody else could have. I'll repeat myself here: When Pelini needed a defensive back and didn't have one in the cupboard, he made his own out of a wider receiver, and then Stanley Jean Baptiste went on to draw a paycheck in the NFL.

Nobody is preventing Riley from coaching up the players he has to a higher level...well except for himself.

• Fire 1

I would like to know where these "playmakers" would be coming from because they are not on the active roster.

A player isn't a finished product when he signs his letter of intent. So if the "playmakers" aren't there now, then it's because nobody THIS year has made them into "playmakers".

Just because Riley hasn't done much with this bunch of players doesn't mean that nobody else could have. I'll repeat myself here: When Pelini needed a defensive back and didn't have one in the cupboard, he made his own out of a wider receiver, and then Stanley Jean Baptiste went on to draw a paycheck in the NFL.

Nobody is preventing Riley from coaching up the players he has to a higher level...well except for himself.

And the players.