Worst loss in Husker history?

QMany

As sad as it is, I wasn't at all surprised by the Purdue loss. I kept saying all week to the talks about going 5-7 and clinging to bowl eligibility maybe we should worry about beating Purdue first.

So the lack of shock takes some of the sting out of this one.

The Iowa State losses really burned me, my tantrum after the Iowa State game in 92 got me in trouble with the 'rents and the lost in the Pelini era where we has more turnovers than points (final score 9-7) or something like that. Those felt like "worse" losses.

Maybe the last blow out by Wisconsin in the Big Ten championship. You knew it might happen, you were hoping it wouldn't, then it happened anyway, and it was worse than you thought. So the knowing it might happen made it worse?

It's hard to say, an odd combination of circumstances and stats. But if it helps a fellow fan cope with this season to think that Purdue was our worst loss ever. More power to em'.

No doubt Riley is going to challenge the players to step up and show what they're made of vs MSU. Instead I picture the Spartans getting up early and the team folding and throwing in the towel, collapsing and giving up.

We're going to get curb stomped. We might just suffer the worst loss at home in our 126 year history. I see MSU hanging 50+ points maybe even 60 and I don't see us putting up more than 24 points on their defense.

You seriously think we can score 24 points on MSU. That would be a great game...

Look back at Bo's roster in 2008. Look at who was starting at LB.

So much myth and misunderstanding around Husker football.

This team has plenty of talent and passion. What we lack is a coaching staff with the ability to utilize it. That's no ones fault but the coaches and admins who hired them.

I completely agree and I must have posted the same thing about 20 times. We do have talent. We actually have more weapons than Wisconsin, Illinois, Purdue, Northwestern, and Rutgers combined but we have horrible coaches that have no idea how to coach. It is like owning a Mustang but you do not know how to drive. That is Riley and company in a nutshell.

• Fire 1

Look back at Bo's roster in 2008. Look at who was starting at LB.

So much myth and misunderstanding around Husker football.

This team has plenty of talent and passion. What we lack is a coaching staff with the ability to utilize it. That's no ones fault but the coaches and admins who hired them.

I completely agree and I must have posted the same thing about 20 times. We do have talent. We actually have more weapons than Wisconsin, Illinois, Purdue, Northwestern, and Rutgers combined but we have horrible coaches that have no idea how to coach. It is like owning a Mustang but you do not know how to drive. That is Riley and company in a nutshell.

And if any of these guys had integrity, they'd go back to pre season predictions, when they knew the roster, and see most predicted no fewer than 8 wins and many thought 10 was a possibilith in the reg season.

Only now are they rewriting history by dragging players through the mud.

• Fire 2

Debating which loss was the worst or most demeaning is difficult and can be taken different directions. My opinion is this 2015 Purdue team is the worst team Nebraska has lost to in the last 50 years. Purdue under Darrell Hazell previously was 2-26 against FBS opponents in his three seasons. That is one terrible team. I have been of the opinion that Riley can't be fired after just one season on the job but I am not so sure of that anymore if the team ends up losing out and finishing 3-9, a very realistic possibility.

• Fire 2

You have to go back to 1955 to find a worse team the Huskers fell to than Purdue.

Hawaii came to Lincoln in 1955 on a 95-degree September day with a 27-man travel squad, a starting quarterback too injured to play and the knowledge that NU had pasted the Rainbows 50-0 on the island the previous year.

The person who needs to show up at the podium but won’t amid this historically ugly time is Athletic Director Shawn Eichorst. The million-dollar man needs to earn some of that loot by facing the music on his rapid-fire hire of Riley last December.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/barfknecht-husker-a-d-owes-fan-base-face-time-after/article_2c4acd26-810f-11e5-ba31-63a39e92f860.html

• Fire 2

The worst I've ever witnessed was 62-36 vs. Colorado. However, that win didn't cripple us on a national level.

Today's loss is about as bad as it gets. Only thing worse would be losing to a D-2 school... fortunately we don't have any of those on our schedule next season.

That Colorado loss is where the wheels started to fall off for Nebraska....they have been in a funk since that game . The 2007 Oklahoma State pounding that Nebraska took in Lincoln is right up there....fans were leaving the stadium as fast as they could before halftime at that game. I was at the game in Purdue Saturday and never in my wildest dreams would I have thought Nebraska would get blown out like they did. The team looked like they didn't even want to be in West Lafayette.

I have no words of wisdom for the season results nor do I want to. A storied program, it is historical, remember this word as the season will end soon. My meaning is simple, I feel the tradition vanished and I only here words being spoken about it and it was in the past. I see no action to back up our tradition in the mist of changing coaches at UNL every few years. I still support the team but bewildered of our time on the gridiron for a long time now. Who are we really now? The fan base can not answer this, this has to be addressed by the coaches and the players on the team.

Edited by NebraskaShellback