Was I wrong

TGHusker

I was originally expecting a 9-4 to a 6-6 record. I never foresaw this kind of collapse. The players and the coaches are to blame. The players, for not giving effort and not earning their scholarships. If possible, I'd like to see scholarships pulled from those who aren't buying in and give it to walkons and new recruits who want to play here because it is Nebraska period. The coaches: I thought Bo was terrible at game mgmt. but to throw continually against this poor run D of Purdue's was inexcusable. The lack of development on the OL, the piss poor running game, pathetic D is on the coaches. I was originally baffled by the Riley hire, was pleased by the early buy in, the recruiting class and the change in image, but now our imaging is being damaged not by the personality of the coach but by the 3rd world effort seen on the field. We've fallen to Iowa State bad and just a notch above Kansas to use our Big 12 brothers. I wonder about the wisdom of this hire now based on the on field results. I mistakenly bought into the line "Look what he was able to do at a place like Oregon State - just think what he can do wt NU resources and players". NU football cannot survive another year like this less we fall into such a deep hole we become a place no good coach or player would want to come to - that is Kansas. If we finish 3-9 I wonder if we cut our losses and spend money as we should have a few coaches ago. Honestly, I go back and forth - he should get a 2nd year and I've thought year 3 would validate the hire but my oh my I never expected a 3-9 season and loosing to the likes of Purdue. I cannot believe the talent on the field is that bad.

In 2004 I posted on Huskerpedia that Pedey was risking two decades of wandering in the wilderness and our program turining into Kansas.

11 years later we have nearly arrived...losing to Purdue, Northwestern, Illinois, BYU with 10-11 win talent.

Either we fire/hire our way out of this NOW, or this program risks irrelevancy forever.

• Fire 1

You are correct. The talent is not bad. The coaching is horrible. Seventeen starters return. There is no excuse for this. MR says he prepares his game plan in a chair by the fire. Where is the PhD in analytics that is supposed to analyzing tendencies, and doing other high tech stuff. MR is in the stone age.

I've seen this 17 number thrown out there a few times where are you getting it from?

Offense

A. Lewis

C. Carter

J. Westercamp

T. Armstrong

A. Janovich

Defense

G. McMullen

V. Valentine

M. Collins

J. Bandares

N. Gerry

D. Davie

That's only 11 even if you include ST it's 13.

In 2004 I posted on Huskerpedia that Pedey was risking two decades of wandering in the wilderness and our program turining into Kansas.

11 years later we have nearly arrived...losing to Purdue, Northwestern, Illinois, BYU with 10-11 win talent.

Either we fire/hire our way out of this NOW, or this program risks irrelevancy forever.

I don't think anyone would argue if you said that we are underachieving. But 10-11 win talent? Really? I would've thought we fell off just a bit, talent wise, from last year's nine win team. And that was before the rash of injuries. Have you looked at this thread lately? LINK

I don't think anyone would argue if you said that we are underachieving. But 10-11 win talent? Really? I would've thought we fell off just a bit, talent wise, from last year's nine win team. And that was before the rash of injuries. Have you looked at this thread lately? LINK

The "fire everyone" crowd doesn't care about facts. "9 wins"!!!@!@?@<>#!@#?! is all they care about. just like their hero Bo.

• Fire 1

I went to the Purdue game and I was blown away with the poor offensive play calling. The wind was blowing pretty good in the stadium and I was dumbfounded as to why they kept throwing the ball. It was obvious from the get go the Boilermakers wanted the game more than we did....I have questioned Langsdorf and his calling all season. I guess the biggest concern is how they cant get the running game going at all. There have been some games where they can run the ball to some effect but when you cant move the ball against Purdue give me a break. They tried using Cross and he gained some good yards when he touched the ball then they go away from it doesn't make sense at all.

• Fire 1

Check out Cfbmatrix.com. Attrition adjusted talent rankings. This is the simplest, best metric for measuring relative talent. We had 11 win talent last year also, and that's why we fired the head coach...not winning enough against the right teams.

We, like every other school, has had key injuries EVERY YEAR. That was not tolerated as a reason in the past and is completely invalid as an excuse this year.

Mike Riley is currently -5 in coach effect. Period. He is incompetent.

• Fire 2

I went to the Purdue game and I was blown away with the poor offensive play calling. The wind was blowing pretty good in the stadium and I was dumbfounded as to why they kept throwing the ball. It was obvious from the get go the Boilermakers wanted the game more than we did....I have questioned Langsdorf and his calling all season. I guess the biggest concern is how they cant get the running game going at all. There have been some games where they can run the ball to some effect but when you cant move the ball against Purdue give me a break. They tried using Cross and he gained some good yards when he touched the ball then they go away from it doesn't make sense at all.

Losing your starting RB, and being down by 30+ points, and only getting around 2.2 ypc will do that to a team.

Check out Cfbmatrix.com. Attrition adjusted talent rankings. This is the simplest, best metric for measuring relative talent. We had 11 win talent last year also, and that's why we fired the head coach...not winning enough against the right teams.

We, like every other school, has had key injuries EVERY YEAR. That was not tolerated as a reason in the past and is completely invalid as an excuse this year.

Mike Riley is currently -5 in coach effect. Period. He is incompetent.

That ranking takes into account previous recruiting by said head coach. I fail to see how Riley has anything to do with 75-90%% of the roster management challenges? It has been debunked more than once. Even by the person that came up with the ranking. 1st year HC are not accurate.

The "fire everyone" crowd doesn't care about facts. "9 wins"!!!@!@?@<>#!@#?! is all they care about. just like their hero Bo.

I care about facts. I care about 9 wins. Apparently you're happy with 3 wins.

• Fire 1

You are correct. The talent is not bad. The coaching is horrible. Seventeen starters return. There is no excuse for this. MR says he prepares his game plan in a chair by the fire. Where is the PhD in analytics that is supposed to analyzing tendencies, and doing other high tech stuff. MR is in the stone age.

I've seen this 17 number thrown out there a few times where are you getting it from?

Offense

A. Lewis

C. Carter

J. Westercamp

T. Armstrong

A. Janovich

Defense

G. McMullen

V. Valentine

M. Collins

J. Bandares

N. Gerry

D. Davie

I'm not sure but I would assume that's "17 guys who have started". That would include Sterup and Moore on offense along with Gangwish and Cockrell for sure. Also might be including Rose-Ivey who started two years ago and Kevin Williams (I think he started at least one game). Also Jamal Turner if he started before he got hurt.

If you care about 9 wins you haven't been a fan for very long. When did 9 wins become the barometer for success? Its an arbitrary number that the old staff used as a measuring tool and didn't think they had to worry about their jobs as long as they hit it. 9 wins is irrelevant.

• Fire 2

No, but I am happy that we have adults running the program again, and are trying to bring back a culture of accountability and championships. What you fail to understand is that this program was completely void of any culture other than "Us vs Them". If we have to suffer through only 3 wins this season to right this ship and get it going in the correct direction again. Then yes I'm happy with 3 wins. I would rather have that, than a mentally corrupt, sleazebag, non accountable environment that permeated this program for the past 10 years.

• Fire 2

Offense

A. Lewis

C. Carter

J. Westercamp

T. Armstrong

A. Janovich

Defense

G. McMullen

V. Valentine

M. Collins

J. Bandares

N. Gerry

D. Davie

I'm not sure but I would assume that's "17 guys who have started". That would include Sterup and Moore on offense along with Gangwish and Cockrell for sure. Also might be including Rose-Ivey who started two years ago and Kevin Williams (I think he started at least one game). Also Jamal Turner if he started before he got hurt.

Makes sense, seems like a lot of nonsense to include guys who have started even if they have since been beaten out or they started only due to injury.