Hypothetically speaking, if Scott Frost was brought in as HC, any ideas on who he would bring on his staff?

You want to know who Frost would bring in? Well, I'll tell you who! Man, do I got a name for you! Just proves Scotty's our man. :rollin

Frost's epic first hire

The picture wasn't loading at first, so I thought Osborne secretly got a job over at Oregon. +1 for you good sir

It's just rare for a guy's first HC gig to be at a major program.

Stoops at OU

Weis at Notre Dame

Malzahn at Auburn (gone for a year at Arky St)

Helfricht at Oregon

Kelly at Oregon

Osborne at Nebraska

Solich at Nebraska

Petersen at Boise

Switzer at OU

Coker at Miami

Muschamp at Florida

Pelini at Nebraska

Shaw at Stanford

Richt at Georgia

O'Brien at Penn State

Bielema at Wisconsin

Swinney at Clemson

Fisher at Florida State

These are just the ones off the top of my head

Also, I've been saying for three years now, the risk of missing out on Scott because we didn't think he was ready yet, is greater than the risk of hiring him with a lack of head coaching experience and having it be bad.

All of these guys were apart of the staff at the school that they became HCs at. They recruited the players that they would take over. They knew the current state of the program. Hardly the same as Frost coming here as a first time HC.

Going to bump this thread because IMO the only guy we'd be able to get should we fire Riley and his staff after one year -- is Scott Frost. Here's an excerpt of what Tom Osborne had said after firing Bill Callahan.

I talked to (Bill) McCartney a couple weeks ago and hadn’t talked to him for two or three years. He has followed us pretty closely, and he said that we’ve lost our identity. What he was saying was that we used to be a team that people hated to play because they felt it for two or three weeks. I’m not saying that we need to go back to running the wishbone or running the option. I’m not getting into X’s and O’s. I’m talking about how we play. You have to play with intensity, and I think these coaches tried very hard to have that happen. I think they knew that. But at think at times, we didn’t have the intensity that you like to see in a football team.”

Link

Frost was a guy who orchestrated such an identity as a player. I imagine if he were to run his own program, he would make his team play with intensity and a physical prowess that Lincoln hasn't seen in years. While I support splash hires and guys who are successful right now in CFB, its hard to imagine getting anyone on the outside to come here. Since we're in "rebuilding mode" according to Shawn Eichorst, this just leaves me flabbergasted as to why he chose a 62 year old who is in over his head and not a young rising coach like Scott Frost.

• Fire 3

Going to bump this thread because IMO the only guy we'd be able to get should we fire Riley and his staff after one year -- is Scott Frost. Here's an excerpt of what Tom Osborne had said after firing Bill Callahan.

I talked to (Bill) McCartney a couple weeks ago and hadn’t talked to him for two or three years. He has followed us pretty closely, and he said that we’ve lost our identity. What he was saying was that we used to be a team that people hated to play because they felt it for two or three weeks. I’m not saying that we need to go back to running the wishbone or running the option. I’m not getting into X’s and O’s. I’m talking about how we play. You have to play with intensity, and I think these coaches tried very hard to have that happen. I think they knew that. But at think at times, we didn’t have the intensity that you like to see in a football team.”

Link

Frost was a guy who orchestrated such an identity as a player. I imagine if he were to run his own program, he would make his team play with intensity and a physical prowess that Lincoln hasn't seen in years. While I support splash hires and guys who are successful right now in CFB, its hard to imagine getting anyone on the outside to come here. Since we're in "rebuilding mode" according to Shawn Eichorst, this just leaves me flabbergasted as to why he chose a 62 year old who is in over his head and not a young rising coach like Scott Frost.

Agreed FTW. I like the way you think. I'd be all for Frost as I do think he would bring back the tenacity, physicalness, and viciousness of past NU teams. He'd also bring a lot of energy to the job, much more so than a 62 year old on his last legs as far as coaching.

I recall reading about just how tough Frost was by the poundings he used to take by likes of the Peter brothers, Wistrom, etc. in his first couple years in Lincoln. Plus, just his sure running tenacity is clearly evident they way he challenged the tacklers and even tried to be the one giving out punishment on contact rather than taking it. Check out any 1997 game of him running the option, the way he instantly flips that ball out there to the trailing I-back is a thing of beauty. There is no hesitation of backwards step back towards to the I-back like they do now in option football....it was BAM - instant flip to the back. It was awesome.

Link

Agreed FTW. I like the way you think. I'd be all for Frost as I do think he would bring back the tenacity, physicalness, and viciousness of past NU teams. He'd also bring a lot of energy to the job, much more so than a 62 year old on his last legs as far as coaching.

I recall reading about just how tough Frost was by the poundings he used to take by likes of the Peter brothers, Wistrom, etc. in his first couple years in Lincoln. Plus, just his sure running tenacity is clearly evident they way he challenged the tacklers and even tried to be the one giving out punishment on contact rather than taking it. Check out any 1997 game of him running the option, the way he instantly flips that ball out there to the trailing I-back is a thing of beauty. There is no hesitation of backwards step back towards to the I-back like they do now in option football....it was BAM - instant flip to the back. It was awesome.

I remember that vividly. Physicality wins football. Power wins football. If you play physical, you're more confident than the opposition. You impose your will on them and cut them down to size. Nebraska definitely needs to get back to that identity and really, I haven't seen that type of physical play from our football team since maybe 1999.

Just a question - Can Frost adapt his offensive style to the current talent a DONU?

I believe he could. He's learned from some of the best minds out there. Offensively, he would have likely played to our strengths versus trying to jam a square peg into a round hole. He would go out and recruit athletes capable of playing in a simple offense predicated on the run game. I also think because of Scott's extensive background in coaching (and has experience on defense,) that he would surround himself with good defensive assistants.

Frost makes sense. He's young and energetic, and would bring passion to Nebraska since he played here. He knows the culture and history which he could share with pride and passion to current players and recruits. I heard stories where he would show nebraska highlights from the 90s to Mariota. He also comes from the "cool" school of Oregon so recruits would listen and be intrigued to see if they could bring that to Nebraska. He isn't going to use Nebraska as a stepping stone for anything. I think he would be smart and bring in competent assistants.

Most of all, he would bring this program hope. Which is desperately needs right now. His network of coaches onclude Tom Osborne and Chip Kelly. Oregon has had one of the best runnning games in the last 8 years of colllege football, most all top rated RBs now want to go play for the Ducks.

IMO, Frost should have been picked last year, and I think when Eichorst went to Oregon he accidentally picked the wrong coach from the state. But, if we are able to break free from Riley next year, I guess it wouldn't have been all bad since Frost was able to get one more year under his belt for experience.

The only hesitation I see from many about Frost is his inexperience at the HC position, because we just dumped Pelini who never had HC experience before. But I think Frost would be much, much different.

Oh and Oregon is on our schedule the next two years. Would be a great advantage to have someone with knowledge of the system.

Scott Frost at Nebraska would be, in my eyes, a lot like Dabo Swinney at Clemson, as far as how that culture would feel.

And make no mistake - Frost would be a splash hire. Splash hires are dictated by the media, and there would be absolutely no shortage of positive coverage of a move like that.

• Fire 5

Scott Frost at Nebraska would be, in my eyes, a lot like Dabo Swinney at Clemson, as far as how that culture would feel.

And make no mistake - Frost would be a splash hire. Splash hires are dictated by the media, and there would be absolutely no shortage of positive coverage of a move like that.

Yeah, anytime you can find a candidate that truly "gets it" that's your splash hire. That's a home run. I still think at some point in time, he will come back to Nebraska. You've got to have someone that really does understand our tradition, what our identity used to be, and who better than a guy who actually lived and breathed it?

Just a question - Can Frost adapt his offensive style to the current talent a DONU?

I believe he could. He's learned from some of the best minds out there. Offensively, he would have likely played to our strengths versus trying to jam a square peg into a round hole. He would go out and recruit athletes capable of playing in a simple offense predicated on the run game. I also think because of Scott's extensive background in coaching (and has experience on defense,) that he would surround himself with good defensive assistants.

I guess my original question was too vague. Let me restate. Can Frost immediately adapt his offensive style to the current talent?

So...let me get this straight "He would go out and recruit athletes capable of playing in a simple offense predicated on the run game" and this would be allowable because? It seems no one has allowed Riley this luxury. Should Riley be given an opportunity to establish himself with his recruits?

He has had little success with Pelini's talent and this is unacceptable.

Why should Frost be viewed differently in the same circumstance?